Brandon Snyder

Enjoy Terror

I think a lot of us would like to see Snyder given given the chance at 3B. Especially since he and Rowell will be on different teams next year.

I definitely would like to see Snyder playing 3B at Bowie next season.

2 for 2 so far today, BTW.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I definitely would like to see Snyder playing 3B at Bowie next season.

2 for 2 so far today, BTW.

Yep, against Ross Detwiler, 1st round pick in 2007 of the Nats.

If Snyder were to play 3b for Bowie next year, what kind of offensive numbers would we be looking for from him as a 23yr old in that league? Something like .850 OPS, 20HR good enough for a September call up?

I think the full story of Brandon Snyder's power potential is far from clear.

1. He had the shoulder injury a few years ago, so his lack of power numbers could have been temporary (if he fully recovered) or permanent.

2. His power numbers have actually improved over the past 3 years, even as he's moved up in competition.

2006 Aber/Del 25 XBH (4 hr) in 268 AB, isop of .127

2007 Delmarva 37 XBH (11 hr) in 448 AB, isop of .139

2008 Frederick 43 XBH (12 hr) in 379 AB, isop of .182

To be fair, I left out 2005, where he had 18 XBH in 172 AB with an isop of .197, but that was accomplished mostly in rookie ball.

For reference, Markakis' isop this year is .195. Of course, Nick is doing it at the majors. But if Snyder keeps showing improvement with the bat as he moves up, he will have enough power. Granted, expecting continued improvement is far from fait accompli, but it's also not inconceivable either given his trend over the past 3 seasons.

1. He had the shoulder injury a few years ago, so his lack of power numbers could have been temporary (if he fully recovered) or permanent.

2. His power numbers have actually improved over the past 3 years, even as he's moved up in competition.

To be fair, I left out 2005, where he had 18 XBH in 172 AB with an isop of .197, but that was accomplished mostly in rookie ball.

For reference, Markakis' isop this year is .195. Of course, Nick is doing it at the majors. But if Snyder keeps showing improvement with the bat as he moves up, he will have enough power. Granted, expecting continued improvement is far from fait accompli, but it's also not inconceivable either given his trend over the past 3 seasons.

Snyder is 6 doubles away from the Keys' team record. He's a gap hitter and I'm not worried at all about his power. All he needs to do is keep working on his plate discipline.

Snyder is showing - essentially - the same power Markakis did at the same age and level (he just won't bump up to AA this year and rake.)

Not only Markakis's level, but the power concerns should dim a bit.

If Snyder were to play 3b for Bowie next year, what kind of offensive numbers would we be looking for from him as a 23yr old in that league? Something like .850 OPS, 20HR good enough for a September call up?

If Snyder were to play 3b for Bowie next year, he would be a 22 year old in that league.

In my opinion, he'll be a 22 year old next year no matter where he plays.

He finished 4-5 today---all singles but I still won't worry about his power. His average is up to 310 and RBIs to 74. Maybe Bowie could use him for the stretch run. (Not that I think ending the year in Frederick would be bad for him.)

Snyder finished today 4 for 5 - his splits are now .310/.354/.490. He also has 53 RBI in his last 51 games.

It is correct that his numbers are very similar to what Markakis did at Frederick at the same age, except that Nick walked more often (not a small point).

Markakis - 350 AB, 59 R, 105 H, 25 2B, 1 3B, 12 HR, 62 RBI, 43 BB, 65 K's, .300/.379/.480

Snyder - 384 AB, 60 R, 120 H, 29 2B, 2 3B, 12 HR, 74 RBI, 26 BB, 71 K's, .310/.354/.490

I'm hoping Snyder gets selected for the Arizona Fall League this year. He has a shot at being ready for Baltimore by Opening Day 2010.

42 XBH with 28 being doubles is a sure sign his HR numbers will go up. Plus Frederick is a tough ballpark to hit HRs.

His ISOP was .263 in July and .196 in August, which has brought up his 2008 total to .180. His ISOP of .180 is top 15 in the Carolina League.

Snyder finished today 4 for 5 - his splits are now .310/.354/.490. He also has 53 RBI in his last 51 games.

It is correct that his numbers are very similar to what Markakis did at Frederick at the same age, except that Nick walked more often (not a small point).

Markakis - 350 AB, 59 R, 105 H, 25 2B, 1 3B, 12 HR, 62 RBI, 43 BB, 65 K's, .300/.379/.480

Snyder - 384 AB, 60 R, 120 H, 29 2B, 2 3B, 12 HR, 74 RBI, 26 BB, 71 K's, .310/.354/.490

I'm hoping Snyder gets selected for the Arizona Fall League this year. He has a shot at being ready for Baltimore by Opening Day 2010.

Very interesting Frobby, great post.

Very interesting Frobby, great post.

Yes. And the walks are definitely a concern. But the very similar K rates are really encouraging.

This is truly one of the best developments of this season - the return of Brandon Snyder to top-shelf status.

Yes. And the walks are definitely a concern. But the very similar K rates are really encouraging.

This is truly one of the best developments of this season - the return of Brandon Snyder to top-shelf status.

For the record, I am not at all surprised, though I am pleased. His performance in the Hawaiian Winter League was very consistent from the first day to the last, and he led that league in hitting. If anything, I was surprised when he started out so slowly this year.

As you noted, his K rate is quite decent, and his BB rate, though still lower than we'd like, has been getting better.

After this season is over with, does Snyder make any top prospect lists? Does he get any national recognition or is he more of a sleeper?

Snyder was on the BA Sally League Top 20 last year ahead of Rowell - something which drew plenty of jeers here.

Frobby's comparison to Markakis is interesting and it is also interesting to ponder where Snyder would be if not for his injuries. Regardless, Snyder has taken a few major steps forward this year. We see emerging power, a high average and some emerging plate discipline as well. It's nice to see Snyder receive the kudos that he has and for this sometimes maligned Joe Jordan pick play to his potential.

Archived