I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

1 hour ago, atomic said:

And we had plenty of drafts during that losing streak where we drafted in the top 5 and got a bunch of guys like Bundy, Gausman, Matusz, Lowen and Hobgood.  Drafting early gurantees nothing.

Drafting stupid guarantees nothing.

I wasn’t around in those days, so I don’t know how many of those choices were head scratchers, or good picks that just didn’t work, but the Cardinals never seem to have trouble drafting wisely, despite never having a single-digit pick.

but we sure drafted a few head scratchers in the couple years before Elias took the reins.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That you picked three teams with the highest revenue streams to make a point about spending.

If the Yankees bring in 200M more revenue than the O's and spend 150M more who is cheaper?

The Yankees put a quality product on the field every year and try to win. You are now talking Apples and Oranges. I don't think Yankees fans care that they are making money. They will make moves and spend money to improve their team.

Not pocket $100 million in 2019 and DFA arguably their best player to save another 10 million in 2020.

Cant you see the difference????????????????????????????????????????????

6 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

If this baseball reference article is correct then basically every team is guaranteed roughly $200m in revenue.  And you can add 52% of other local revenues (ticket sales/concessions, and I think the local TV contract)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Revenue_sharing

I know that they have other costs besides player salaries, but unless this article is way off base, basically every team should be able to sustain about $150m in payroll and still turn a healthy profit for the owner.

And the per team shared revenue for MASN was $60 million per 4 or 5 years ago

4 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

If this baseball reference article is correct then basically every team is guaranteed roughly $200m in revenue.  And you can add 52% of other local revenues (ticket sales/concessions, and I think the local TV contract)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Revenue_sharing

I know that they have other costs besides player salaries, but unless this article is way off base, basically every team should be able to sustain about $150m in payroll and still turn a healthy profit for the owner.

The question is what is a healthy profit.

Let's look at the Royals since they just got sold.

They sold for a billion.  If ownership makes 50M a year out of the team it still takes 20 years to pay off the purchase price and that doesn't include debt management.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

As I wrote more in the other thread, this move is absolutely embarrassing. As an organization, everyone involved in the decision should be ashamed of themselves. To release one of your best players because of potential arbitration award that is maybe a 3 million difference when you already are carrying a ridiculously low payroll is a slap in every paying customer's face. 

I'm not going to defend this move at all. Unless there is something we dont know about, this move is indefensible by any competitive standard.

I agree 100%

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

The Yankees put a quality product on the field every year and try to win. You are now talking Apples and Oranges. I don't think Yankees fans care that they are making money. They will make moves and spend money to improve their team.

Not pocket $100 million in 2019 and DFA arguably their best player to save another 10 million in 2020.

The fans but Yankee ownership doesn’t want to give money to the Orioles for the league to be more competitive and then have Orioles owners take extra money to buy themselves a yacht. 

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Drafting stupid guarantees nothing.

I wasn’t around in those days, so I don’t know how many of those choices were head scratchers, or good picks that just didn’t work, but the Cardinals never seem to have trouble drafting wisely, despite never having a single-digit pick.

but we sure drafted a few head scratchers in the couple years before Elias took the reins.

They drafted for sign ability often Hobgood is one I remember. They also didnt invest enough in scouting compared to other teams and our developmental system has sucked for decades. The system has produced very very little in decades since Cal Jr arrived!

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

No.

It's fine for the owners of the Yankees to make more profit than the O's?  What is the cutoff?  The Yankees could spend more on payroll.  I know a lot of Yankee fans who think they should spend more on payroll.  I know a lot of Yankee fans that were upset at them not being willing to take on salary for the playoff this year.

26 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Every year the Ravens spend every last dollar that they can. The Cowboys as much as I dislike Jerry Jones as a GM they do as well. The Yankees, Dodgers, and other teams would spend way more if they didnt have to manage the luxury tax issues.

Football has a salary cap and a salary floor.You have to spend a certain amount in the NFL  

Just now, Roll Tide said:

They drafted for sign ability often Hobgood is one I remember. They also didnt invest enough in scouting compared to other teams and our developmental system has sucked for decades. The system has produced very very little in decades since Cal Jr arrived!

They spent 8.8 million on the Hobgood draft.  Sign ability was a strategy that year not a result of cheapness.

11 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

The key to it is whether there are 2 or more claimants.

It's possible, in my view, that Elias knows he has 2 or more and this puts a deadline on offers. But, as Luke has pointed out, it's risky. If only one claims, they get him. Period. 

But I think there's 2, at least. 

That doesn’t make sense. If you have two teams interested there is no hurry to trade Villar. You can trade him in a week, in a month or in two months.  This is all about saving the team money. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

No.

It's fine for the owners of the Yankees to make more profit than the O's?  What is the cutoff?  The Yankees could spend more on payroll.  I know a lot of Yankee fans who think they should spend more on payroll.  I know a lot of Yankee fans that were upset at them not being willing to take on salary for the playoff this year.

Show me the last time the Yankees DFA'd a player coming off a 4 WAR season!

This is just getting ridiculous CORN!