Why did Davis go after Hyde? He was not happy.

Snutchy

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I can't imagine getting mad when someone else who was mad accidentally hit me on the foot with a helmet unless 1) I was already fed up with him or 2) it hurt like hell. The latter seems really unlikely. 

I'd mouth off to someone who hit me with a helmet.  If you want to act like an irate toddler do in the locker room.

54 minutes ago, Frobby said:

2.    I wouldn’t call Davis’ approach to Hyde an “attack.”    For all we know, he was just going to get in Hyde’s face to make his point.   When other players stepped in he retreated to the bench pretty quickly.   So let’s not treat this like it’s Papelbon choking Harper.    

Yeah, but for all we know it wasn't Papelbon choking Harper only because Chris Davis was physically restrained by others.  We can only speculate on his ultimate intent but it doesn't look like he was going at Hyde to register a polite objection to his manager's words.  This was exceptionally poor behavior by Davis.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Yeah, but for all we know it wasn't Papelbon choking Harper only because Chris Davis was physically restrained by others.  We can only speculate on his ultimate intent but it doesn't look like he was going at Hyde to register a polite objection to his manager's words.  This was exceptionally poor behavior by Davis.

Good point, we don't know what Davis would have done if Trumbo didn't hold restrain him. And I don't think Davis was going to say, "My bad coach", and return to his seat on the bench. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd mouth off to someone who hit me with a helmet.  If you want to act like an irate toddler do in the locker room.

Seriously. And it’s not like Davis was angry because he screwed up something he usually does well and let down his team in an important situation. He had a temper tantrum for performing his job in the same crappy way he always does, for a terrible team that was getting blown out like they always do.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Seriously. And it’s not like Davis was angry because he screwed up something he usually does well and let down his team in an important situation. He had a temper tantrum for performing his job in the same crappy way he always does, for a terrible team that was getting blown out like they always do.

Analogy time:

This is like a golfer who can’t break 120 throwing their club, after a bad shot, in a fundraiser scramble, while playing on a 4 man team that can’t break par.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm honestly shocked at a few posters on here and their takes on this.

I guess this comes down to the "safe space" crowd. There are people in the world that need cry rooms and I'm guessing the ones bashing Hyde probably fall into that category. 

It's sad.

I'm 1000% with Hyde on this.

Yeah, this. I still haven’t seen the video, but I’m guessing Hyde had his reasons. And as anyone who has been in a dugout knows, the manager absolutely can call out a player for lack of effort. 

Davis has been horrible, but I don’t think his effort has been questioned. The fact that he’s the senior veteran means he should be more of an example not less. I think he snapped at the idea we wasn’t giving it everything after how bad he’s been. But then hustle all the time. You take offense at your boss saying you didn’t do your best? Then, don’t let it get to that point.

And I didn’t see Hyde losing his mind. If he made a comment about Davis dogging it he’s not required to move to a safe space so Davis’ feelings aren’t hurt. Making a comment isn’t an ‘attack’. The snowflake mentality screams it is, but I hope to hell that victim stance hasn’t crept into baseball.

It is sad, but getting shellacked by the Yankees isn’t a reason to tank effort. As bad as he’s been, I always thought Davis gave full effort. Now, I’m not so sure. In any case, his response to criticism would never be allowed in any other profession besides sports.

Just now, Il BuonO said:

Yeah, this. I still haven’t seen the video, but I’m guessing Hyde had his reasons. And as anyone who has been in a dugout knows, the manager absolutely can call out a player for lack of effort. 

Davis has been horrible, but I don’t think his effort has been questioned. The fact that he’s the senior veteran means he should be more of an example not less. I think he snapped at the idea we wasn’t giving it everything after how bad he’s been. But then hustle all the time. You take offense at your boss saying you didn’t do your best? Then, don’t let it get to that point.

And I didn’t see Hyde losing his mind. If he made a comment about Davis dogging it he’s not required to move to a safe space so Davis’ feelings aren’t hurt. Making a comment isn’t an ‘attack’. The snowflake mentality screams it is, but I hope to hell that victim stance hasn’t crept into baseball.

It is sad, but getting shellacked by the Yankees isn’t a reason to tank effort. As bad as he’s been, I always thought Davis gave full effort. Now, I’m not so sure. In any case, his response to criticism would never be allowed in any other profession besides sports.

I've been stating for a while now that I don't think he's putting in the work.

Does that count as questioning his effort?

23 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I can't imagine getting mad when someone else who was mad accidentally hit me on the foot with a helmet unless 1) I was already fed up with him or 2) it hurt like hell. The latter seems really unlikely. 

What if they had an OPS+ of 56?

4 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Analogy time:

This is like a golfer who can’t break 120 throwing their club, after a bad shot, in a fundraiser scramble, while playing on a 4 man team that can’t break par.

When I was 13 and playing a lot of golf, I made the mistake of throwing one when my Dad was playing with me.  He looked at me and said “Son, you are not and never will be good enough to throw a club.”   Never forgot it, never threw another one. 

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've been stating for a while now that I don't think he's putting in the work.

Does that count as questioning his effort?

There hasn't been one significant change by Davis with his batting stance or approach at the plate in the last three years of him slumping. Cal Ripken would change his batting stance between at bats to find his groove. Davis doesn't need to go to that extreme, but try something. Davis continues to stare a strike three down the middle of the plate with zero adjustments. 

• Upvote 1

Maybe he really liked the last season of game of thornes. Maybe he thought the hobbit trilogy should have been 3 movies and not two. Maybe Hyde thinks Khole is the best Kardashian sister? Maybe Hyde likes Beyoncé more than most people and was signing it to himself in the dugout. Maybe Hyde pointed out that he got the first pick in the team's fantasy football draft and Chris didn't. Maybe Hyde just speaks in Shrek quotes and Davis finally got mad of being called "Onion boy" or "Donkey". Who knows, man?