Do Harvey, Tate and Givens make it easier for Tanner Scott

wildcard

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, scOtt said:

Totally unrelated... If Tanner Scott and Tayler Scott end up on the big club at the same time they will have to have extended names on their jerseys. Tay. Scott and Tan. Scott.

T. Scott won't work. Ta. Scott won't work.

Tanner Alexander Scott and Tayler James Scott.  So T.A. and T.J. Scott.  Although I do like Texas Scott and South Africa Scott.

8 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I still think Tanner needs to be an Opener.  The old regime had him starting in Bowie a couple years back, but limited him to 3 inning stints or a pitch count (whatever came first).  He's already accustomed to the role.  Begin the game with a Lefty bringing 100 gas with a plus slider, then switch to a 4+ inning guy who has more a Ynoa or Wojo skillset.

I haven't seen him throw a pitch above 97 in like 3 years.

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I haven't seen him throw a pitch above 97 in like 3 years.

He topped out over 100 last year and at 98 this year.   https://www.fangraphs.com/graphs.aspx?playerid=17586&position=P&pitchgraphs=true&statArr=&legend=1&split=base&time=daily&start=2017&end=2019&rtype=mult&gt1=15&dStatArray=FA&ymin=&ymax=

However, his average velocity has dropped from 98.0 to 97.1 to 95.6 the last three years.   I’m not sure if he’s lost velocity or is dialing it back in order to try to throw strikes.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

He topped out over 100 last year and at 98 this year.   https://www.fangraphs.com/graphs.aspx?playerid=17586&position=P&pitchgraphs=true&statArr=&legend=1&split=base&time=daily&start=2017&end=2019&rtype=mult&gt1=15&dStatArray=FA&ymin=&ymax=

However, his average velocity has dropped from 98.0 to 97.1 to 95.6 the last three years.   I’m not sure if he’s lost velocity or is dialing it back in order to try to throw strikes.   

Yeah I'm not clear on this either. I just know 100 down the middle would work at least a little better than 96 down the middle. I hope he figures it out because we could really use a good version of him. 

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

A pitcher does not have a 1.10 WHIP in AAA if he has no control.

He seems go be  having trouble making the jump to the majors because he feeling the pressure of facing major league hitters.  Maybe that could be limited by having better relievers around him.

Only if they can pitch to the hitters instead of him.

I'm seriously not understanding the connection you're trying to make here. Why would other relievers have any impact on how effective Scott is? Unless you mean that they'll come in and clean up his messes and strand his inherited runners.

28 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Only if they can pitch to the hitters instead of him.

I'm seriously not understanding the connection you're trying to make here. Why would other relievers have any impact on how effective Scott is? Unless you mean that they'll come in and clean up his messes and strand his inherited runners.

I think you pretty much got it.  In some cases, Tanner starts a inning and maybe he gets some outs but he puts a couple of runners on.   Hyde is much more likely to pull him before he gives up runs if he has four guys behind him that are pitching well in Harvey, Tate, Givens and Castro.    

Lets say for September Hyde limits Tanner to one inning per appearance.   And lets say Tanner holds the other team scoreless in 2/3 of his outing.  Its that third outing where he might be having trouble that raises his ERA and costs him confidence.   But if he can be pulled in that third outing maybe his confidence in getting major leaguers out grows.  And he learns what works without the stress of giving up 3 runs in an inning. 

The O's having 4 relievers that are already pitching well may help Tanner in September.

Archived