Do Harvey, Tate and Givens make it easier for Tanner Scott

wildcard

to become a major leaguer?  Do they take some of the pressure of the late innings away and allow Tanner to work  in the 6th or 7th?

We are likely to see Tanner Scott called up in the next few days.   He has pretty much mastered AAA.  2.98 ERA,  45.1 IP  35 H, 57K, .211 avg, 1.10 WHIP.   

Can Tanner have a good Sept and establish a spot for himself in  next year's pen?   He has one option remaining.

• Upvote 1

The Orioles bullpen has a recent tendency to make good pitchers look really bad, so I think they will all have their work cut out for them.

My answer is that I think the presence of Harvey himself makes it easier for all of the rest of them, but I want him wrapped in bubble wrap at all times.

• Upvote 1

I still think Tanner needs to be an Opener.  The old regime had him starting in Bowie a couple years back, but limited him to 3 inning stints or a pitch count (whatever came first).  He's already accustomed to the role.  Begin the game with a Lefty bringing 100 gas with a plus slider, then switch to a 4+ inning guy who has more a Ynoa or Wojo skillset.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, AceKing said:

The Orioles bullpen has a recent tendency to make good pitchers look really bad, so I think they will all have their work cut out for them.

My answer is that I think the presence of Harvey himself makes it easier for all of the rest of them, but I want him wrapped in bubble wrap at all times.

Even bubble wrap tends to ravel when the enclosed object is violently hurled 30+ times in an inning.

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

No.  Tanner Scott doesn't walk six men per nine because of a complex interplay between the makeup of the team, his fragile psyche, and the dramatically different level of pressure between the 7th and 8th innings of random games in June.

Tanner Scott walks six men per nine because he has no control.

Lol, end of thread.

48 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

No.  Tanner Scott doesn't walk six men per nine because of a complex interplay between the makeup of the team, his fragile psyche, and the dramatically different level of pressure between the 7th and 8th innings of random games in June.

Tanner Scott walks six men per nine because he has no control.

A pitcher does not have a 1.10 WHIP in AAA if he has no control.

He seems go be  having trouble making the jump to the majors because he feeling the pressure of facing major league hitters.  Maybe that could be limited by having better relievers around him.

27 minutes ago, Philip said:

Scott’s problem is walks. I don’t know why they are a fatal problem in MLB and not in the minors( the ball makes that much difference?) but he isn’t dependable at the Big Level.

AAA is using the same ball as the majors this season.

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He seems go be  having trouble making the jump to the majors because he feeling the pressure of facing major league hitters.  Maybe that could be limited by having better relievers around him.

I think major league hitters are simply more adept at laying off pitches that aren’t strikes.    Scott gets behind major league hitters and then either walks them or gives in and gives them a fastball down the middle.    

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Scott has walked 169 batters in 256 minor league innings.  In college he walked 10.5 batters per nine.  In 2016 at A and AA he walked eight per nine.

But if that's what you need to believe, go for it.

He has brought his BB/9 down from career 5.9 in the minors to 3.0. If he can maintain that success at the next level, it will be because he figured something out.

AAA is using the same ball as the majors this season.

Ok, but then why is he so terrible in the majors? He’s pitching the same but getting whammed or giving up walks in the majors. Are the hitters just a lot better in The Show?

because there’s no doubt that his Major League performance has been unusable. If he can’t duplicate his AAA performance he’s going to fail.