O's announce player dev partnership with K-Motion

interloper

5 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

It is new stuff, very new, but this isn’t being ahead of the curve yet, 22 teams will be using k-motion in 2020. So no longer behind would be appropriate.

I think the winners and losers will be determined less by who has the best or newest technology, but by who best optimizes the technology (along with coaching personnel) for achieving measurable player development outcomes.

Also by how teams choose to weight their data. Everyone has the same numbers, but deciding what's important affects the statistical modeling. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Also by how teams choose to weight their data. Everyone has the same numbers, but deciding what's important affects the statistical modeling. 

Yeah, figuring out what metrics are predictive of real in-game outcomes is a big deal.

Just now, Luke-OH said:

Yeah, figuring out what metrics are predictive of real in-game outcomes is a big deal.

I suspect it's also how you find players you can afford whose skills are at the lower end of what's being valued at the moment. Kind of like the A's focusing on OBP before other teams. 

3 minutes ago, scOtt said:

22 ML teams makes me feel good. Altho I guess it would be better if we were one of only 4 or 5...

I'm quite encouraged simply by the fact that this didn't become another one of so many "Who cares if 3/4 of the league is doing that, we're not doing it" things that have happened in the past.

The more often we join these kinds of trends, the less often we get left far behind when one of these innovations clicks and changes an entire paradigm.  

• Upvote 1

At the end of the day, clearly we don't know if this will help compared to how things were in the past. 

However, we've been bad more than not over the last 20 years, so I'm glad they're at least trying a new approach.  And one the at least on the surface that seems like a change in line with current thinking/technology advances in sports.

On 10/10/2019 at 1:33 PM, Luke-OH said:

It is new stuff, very new, but this isn’t being ahead of the curve yet, 22 teams will be using k-motion in 2020. So no longer behind would be appropriate.

I think the winners and losers will be determined less by who has the best or newest technology, but by who best optimizes the technology (along with coaching personnel) for achieving measurable player development outcomes.

Meoli had a good article about the technology expo at last year's winter meetings that came to the same conclusion. The Expo featured K-Motion along with a range of other companies offering tech.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-tech-expo-winter-meetings-20181214-story.html

That's what made the cross-section of companies at Monday's expo unique. There's a fascination around the game with trying to collect as much information as possible, and rightfully so. The wearable technology will quantify much of what people in the game have reckoned with for generations.

But the team that pulls ahead is going to be the one that figures out what to do with it all — how to fix the most swings, how to get the most games out of your talent, how to inform the players on the field. The Orioles' new brass might have jumped the line with Houston, but they'll be running in traffic to get to the front of the pack on the next big thing.