Which prospects do you anticipate seeing in Baltimore next season?

wildcard

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’ve never seen any criticism of Mountcastle’s hands.    It’s always been his arm that was the big issue.   

The guy would not have spent several years at SS and 3B if his hands and athleticism were poor.   I’d expect him to be fine at 1B and in LF, but his arm will still be below average.   

IIRC, this is true. Could Mountcastle develop into a guy that DH's 2-4 games a week and then moves around a little between 1B, 2B, 3B, LF the rest of the time?

2 hours ago, weams said:

Eddie Murray was the DH initially with Lee May at 1B. 

This happened just before my memories begin and has always kind of fascinated me.  Revisiting B-Ref now, I see it was a 111 DH/42 1B (and 3 in the OF!) split for rookie Eddie.

As a move it kind of feels right for bat-only profiles like Mountcastle.  Take the glove pressure off - have 18 months to practice 1B/LF and get your 700 PA's focusing on what you are good at.  Invest 2020 in the bat, and 2021 in the glove.

I think it depends on who is considered a prospect, so I’ll only consider those listed on the current O’s top 30 prospect list. And among those not mentioned, I’d expect Austin Hays, Hunter Harvey, and Dillon Tate to spend considerable time on the roster. Possibly Ryan McKenna, Brett Cumberland, and Alex Wells, if they have a solid season in AAA. And if he's healthy, I think Zach Pop gets called up.

19 minutes ago, linedrive said:

I think it depends on who is considered a prospect, so I’ll only consider those listed on the current O’s top 30 prospect list. And among those not mentioned, I’d expect Austin Hays, Hunter Harvey, and Dillon Tate to spend considerable time on the roster. Possibly Ryan McKenna, Brett Cumberland, and Alex Wells, if they have a solid season in AAA. And if he's healthy, I think Zach Pop gets called up.

I don't agree that Tate will spend considerable time on the roster.  I think it will be closer to two days on fifteen days off.

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't agree that Tate will spend considerable time on the roster.  I think it will be closer to two days on fifteen days off.

I get your point, but I'm assuming there won't be many better options, and I'm sure they want to give him every opportunity to prove himself. 

So if we go through the player mentioned here are the position that are expect to be effected:    (BOLD means eligible for the Rule 5 draft.) 

Starters - (6) (2) Akin, Kremer, Lowther, Baumann. Wells , Zimmerman, Sedlock 

Relievers - (7)  (3)  Harvey, Alvarado, Muckerhim, Tate, Kline, Klimek(Tony has mentioned), Pop

Catcher - (1) Cumberland

Outfielders - (5) (3)Hays, Mountcastle, Diaz, Mullins, McKenna

Infielders - Bannon, McCoy 

That would be 22 players that played mostly or completely in the minors that would see some action in the majors this year..

And (10) players that need to be protected from the Rule 5 draft.  Can the O's protect them all?  Should they?

That's a lot of players.

Akin, Hays, and Harvey on OD roster. 

Mountcastle after the service clock issues. 

Tate as an up/down guy till he pitches well enough to stick.

I think that’s it in terms of “prospects”.  Diaz might get a Sept callup but most likely the Mountcastle treatment.  If Akin didn’t get a call up last year then I don’t see any of the SP prospects getting called up either.  

No point to rush to start service clocks in a 100 loss season.

16 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Zimmermann is a great call, if he were on the 40 man, he'd probably be the first prospect to debut in 2020. 

camden chat quotes you:

EDIT 8:39 a.m. ET: According to Luke Siler of Orioles Hangout, Zimmerman worked hard in the off-season to increase his velocity. As a result, he has worked in the low 90’s and touched 95 this season. In addition, his slider has improved as well. Follow Luke on Twitter @The_Luke_Siler]

20 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Zimmermann is a great call, if he were on the 40 man, he'd probably be the first prospect to debut in 2020. 

But why put him on the 40 man before we have to?   We can add him when we want to call him up.   He’s not eligible for the Rule 5 draft , so why take up a spot now?

(Maybe I’m getting confused between the question in the OP about 2020 debuts and wildcard’s question above about who should be added to the 40 man roster.)

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

But why put him on the 40 man before we have to?   We can add him when we want to call him up.   He’s not eligible for the Rule 5 draft , so why take up a spot now?

I wasn't saying he should be added to the 40 now, I'm just saying he's near ready and probably more of a finished product than Akin or Kremer even.  I doubt he breaks camp with the team, but I also don't think they are just going to park him in AAA until 2021. There is no point. Velocity generally begins to decline at 26-27 and he'll be 25 next year. 

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I wasn't saying he should be added to the 40 now, I'm just saying he's near ready and probably more of a finished product than Akin or Kremer even.  I doubt he breaks camp with the team, but I also don't think they are just going to park him in AAA until 2021. There is no point. Velocity generally begins to decline at 26-27 and he'll be 25 next year. 

Yes, makes sense.    I’d like to see him get more experience with the major league ball in AAA first.   Of course, who knows what the 2020 baseballs will be like?

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, makes sense.    I’d like to see him get more experience with the major league ball in AAA first.   Of course, who knows what the 2020 baseballs will be like?

With the post season ball change debacle, it seems like they aren't completely satisfied with the 2019 ball.