Should Rendon be offered more than 7/210 by the rebuilding Baltimore Orioles

pstroms333

7 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Well, he turned down 7/210 from a World Series team.  How much premium would this team need to pay?

12 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Wow..I hadn't heard that. That's a lot to turn down. 

The Nats won’t take it off the table, I’m sure.    I’d bet on Rendon staying with the Nats when it’s all said and done, maybe with a bump up in this offer.    I’d also bet that they’ll extend Strasburg another couple of years to avoid him opting out of his deal.    

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The Nats won’t take it off the table, I’m sure.    I’d bet on Rendon staying with the Nats when it’s all said and done, maybe with a bump up in this offer.    I’d also bet that they’ll extend Strasburg another couple of years to avoid him opting out of his deal.    

Oldest team in MLB.   Now that Soto & Robles are up, I hear their farm system isn't very strong.  

Wonder how long their "window" is?

• weams changed the title to Should Rendon be offered more than 7/210 by the rebuilding Baltimore Orioles
39 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Oldest team in MLB.   Now that Soto & Robles are up, I hear their farm system isn't very strong.  

Wonder how long their "window" is?

I think they have at least 2-3 more years, maybe longer.   Soto and Robles may not count as prospects any more, but they’re both very young and will only be getting better the next several years.   Carter Kieboom, their top prospect, is very highly ranked and is essentially major league ready.   Trea Turner is only 26 and under control 3 more years.      Really, it depends on whether the starting pitching holds up.    

Their big mistake was not shopping Harper at the deadline last year.    They could have added a couple nice pieces to their farm system if they’d traded him.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Larger numbers but not more real money.

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Now that the title of the thread has been changed, I’ll answer the question: emphatically no.   I love the player but we are too far away from competing to pay top dollar for a free agent now.   

I wanted to give the thread a chance to live. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, pstroms333 said:

Can we please sign Rendon, or would it not make sense for the rebuild.

1. Huge, multi-year deals for a player's 30s, with the value based on repeating career years from his 20s, pretty much always works out well for the team.  Right?

2. While investing relatively scarce resources on development infrastructure for a team way behind the curve might seem like a good idea at first glance, I can see the appeal of a single free agent who'll be 33 and likely a slightly above-average player by the time the Orioles can realistically expect to contend.

3. Side benefit: will allow us to stop saying Chris Davis' contract is the largest in team history.  And Rendon's deal is unlikely to be as catastrophic.

4. Nelson Cruz has had his best years in his mid-to-late 30s, proving that at least once in all of baseball history that's possible.  So why not take a chance?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

1. Huge, multi-year deals for a player's 30s, with the value based on repeating career years from his 20s, pretty much always works out well for the team.  Right?

2. While investing relatively scarce resources on development infrastructure for a team way behind the curve might seem like a good idea at first glance, I can see the appeal of a single free agent who'll be 33 and likely a slightly above-average player by the time the Orioles can realistically expect to contend.

3. Side benefit: will allow us to stop saying Chris Davis' contract is the largest in team history.  And Rendon's deal is unlikely to be as catastrophic.

4. Nelson Cruz has had his best years in his mid-to-late 30s, proving that at least once in all of baseball history that's possible.  So why not take a chance?

Add to this that Rendon seems to hint that he doesn't really like playing baseball.  I like Rendon, but I'd pass...especially with where the Orioles are right now.

https://www.federalbaseball.com/2019/10/24/20929679/what-does-future-hold-for-washington-nationals-anthony-rendon-not-a-free-agency-story

And the second part of the question: Where does Rendon see himself at 36?

“Hopefully not playing baseball,” Rendon said with a laugh. “Probably sitting on the couch hanging out with my kids. [Kendrick is] probably going to play another 20 years.”

Also:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2133276-nats-anthony-rendon-doesnt-watch-baseball-because-its-too-long-and-boring