Congratulations to the Nationals!

Uli2001

50 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I’ll be upfront. I can’t stand the Nats and how half of their fans are casual fans who used to be O’s fans because DC is more convenient to get to or because they’re DC natives who think Baltimore is spooky but avoid east DC and Rockville like the plague, failing to realize the irony in that sentiment. I don’t like how this team hurts the orioles money wise and how that will continue because those DC fans are long gone and will never return. It sucks how the orioles don’t advertise in the Norfolk area where the AAA team is because more people identify with DC sports here and rather than trying to convert them, they do squat and don’t make any effort at it. This WS outcome is the worst possible outcome for the O’s MASN and ticket wise. Nats will own the region and a lot of the newer fans who are kids because they have a WS title in their lifetime versus the team that made it when Walkman’s were a thing and Reagan was in the Whitehouse. This next orioles core will be effected $ wise by this unless the Nats fall apart and have to rebuild when this core hits its stride and we get more MASN $. 

Rockville?  Who avoids Rockville?  Weird.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yep, the pink hatters.  And the wine and cheese crowd.  

The diehards are what it's all about.  I'm happy for the Nats but I can't pretend that I've been as interested in them on a level that equates to my passion for the Orioles.  I'm not sure how people can just dip in like that, it's weird.

What is wrong with pink hatters?  My daughter was in the Caribbean this past Winter  and she was wearing her pink Orioles cap while playing with a girl at the pool wearing a pink Yankees cap. Pretty cute. 

4 hours ago, Palmoripken said:

My Uncle and older cousin rib me for staying with the O's. I told them to look at it from my perspective. The O's were all I ever have known. And I'm expected to adopt the Expos just because they moved ot RFK. In 2005, we had just signed Miguel Tejada after Miggy won the MVP, Palmeiro a then fan favorite was back in town, etc. I don't honestly resent the Nats at all. I resent the idea that it was wrong of me to stick with the team I grew up with simply because there was a new kid in town. The Nats have legitimately formed their own identity in the years since but in those early years, they still were the old Expos and for that reason I can definitely understand a native Marylander who was a Senators fan until the Senators left down because they would have seen the '54 Orioles as the old Browns and the old Browns while they had some color to them- Eddie Gaedel, Satchel Paige, and of course Bill Veeck weren't who they had been listening to on the radio.  I did recently read a biography of Veeck. Apparently he wanted to buy the O's at one point and lived on the Eastern Shore which is how he figured out who Harold Baines was.

As soon as the Ravens arrived I dropped the 'skins and supported the Ravens.  I was never much of a Colts fan.  Supported the 'skins since before the 1973 Super Bowl.  I guess Jack Kent Cooke trying to keep a team out of Baltimore soured me on the team. 

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Saw a lot of older folks in the stands rooting for the Nats and I couldn't help but wonder who they were rooting for prior to the Nats moving to DC. 

Surely the Expos.

When the Orioles won the World Series in 1966, I wonder how many of the older fans in the stands had been rooting for the St. Louis Browns before 1954.    Chances are pretty good that more of them had been rooting for the Senators before Baltimore got its own team.    

12 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I’ll be upfront. I can’t stand the Nats and how half of their fans are casual fans who used to be O’s fans because DC is more convenient to get to or because they’re DC natives who think Baltimore is spooky but avoid east DC and Rockville like the plague, failing to realize the irony in that sentiment. I don’t like how this team hurts the orioles money wise and how that will continue because those DC fans are long gone and will never return. It sucks how the orioles don’t advertise in the Norfolk area where the AAA team is because more people identify with DC sports here and rather than trying to convert them, they do squat and don’t make any effort at it. This WS outcome is the worst possible outcome for the O’s MASN and ticket wise. Nats will own the region and a lot of the newer fans who are kids because they have a WS title in their lifetime versus the team that made it when Walkman’s were a thing and Reagan was in the Whitehouse. This next orioles core will be effected $ wise by this unless the Nats fall apart and have to rebuild when this core hits its stride and we get more MASN $. 

Good.  May the O’s be soon reunited with the Colts.

17 hours ago, atomic said:

What is wrong with pink hatters?  My daughter was in the Caribbean this past Winter  and she was wearing her pink Orioles cap while playing with a girl at the pool wearing a pink Yankees cap. Pretty cute. 

Pink Hatter is a term used to describe people who wear team gear as a trendy fashion accessory, despite the fact they couldn't care less about the team in question.  For example, a Red Sox "fan" who wears his green third alternate Sox jersey everywhere but doesn't have the slightest idea who Yaz, Bill Buckner, or Jimmie Foxx are/were.

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

When the Orioles won the World Series in 1966, I wonder how many of the older fans in the stands had been rooting for the St. Louis Browns before 1954.    Chances are pretty good that more of them had been rooting for the Senators before Baltimore got its own team.    

Four.  Four had been rooting for the Browns. 

The 1953 Browns drew fewer fans than eight of the twelve teams in the 2019 AA Eastern League, had comparable TV and radio coverage to a modern Eastern League team, and of course no internet coverage whatsoever.  It's easier to root for a lower-division German soccer team from Baltimore today than it would have been to root for the Browns in the 1940s.

On 10/31/2019 at 8:02 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

Ah yes, I remember the old days (two weeks ago) when 85% of the current Nats fanbase couldn't name a single player on the Nats roster.  But now every one of them have the Walgreens logo as their Facebook profile picture.

This is pretty accurate, but then again, you can say that about a lot of Capital fans as well. People like winners and at the end of the day, this team deserved to win. They came back multiple times, their big time players came through and their bullpen was nails. 

I wasn't rooting for them, but I'm more ambivalent then anything when it comes to them winning.