6 year minor league FAs

wildcard

On 11/4/2019 at 5:14 PM, Luke-OH said:

SInkerball, blah stuff guy.

Not a big upside guy, but I like Jacob Barnes. He's a above average spin fastball guy with a near vertical spin axis that has been using his fastball poorly, down in the zone. Which is the worst place to locate a fastball with those qualities. I think he could be a solid middle reliever by just telling to throw to a different spot. 

Royals Request Release Waivers On Jacob Barnes

By Steve Adams | November 6, 2019 at 1:27pm CDT

Nov. 6: The Royals have requested unconditional release waivers on Barnes, per a team announcement.

Nov. 4: The Royals announced Monday that they’ve designated right-hander Jacob Barnes for assignment.... Kansas City will have a week to trade Barnes or run him through outright waivers, with the latter path seemingly the likelier of the two.

32 minutes ago, John Welch said:

Royals Request Release Waivers On Jacob Barnes

By Steve Adams | November 6, 2019 at 1:27pm CDT

Nov. 6: The Royals have requested unconditional release waivers on Barnes, per a team announcement.

Nov. 4: The Royals announced Monday that they’ve designated right-hander Jacob Barnes for assignment.... Kansas City will have a week to trade Barnes or run him through outright waivers, with the latter path seemingly the likelier of the two.

I think Elias is looking for starters or pitchers that can add length to the pen.  I don't know that Barnes fits that description.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Elias is looking for starters or pitchers that can add length to the pen.  I don't know that Barnes fits that description.

He's a guy Luke had mentioned a day or so ago.

I think Elias is looking for anyone who is an upgrade from what we have. 

13 hours ago, John Welch said:

He's a guy Luke had mentioned a day or so ago.

I think Elias is looking for anyone who is an upgrade from what we have. 

Here is what I see:

The O's only have 5 starters and some of them are iffy.   Means, Bundy, Cobb, Wojo, and Brooks.   Cobb injuries and Brooks unproven status make this not enough  starting talent to get through the 1st half.  The 2nd half could see Cobb and/or Bundy gone.  The 2nd half may also see some of the Bowie crowd arrive.  But the O's need to get through he 1st half by adding starters.  

Akin could be ready in May but that is also iffy.   Kremer, Baumann, Lowther will have to shine bright in the 1st half to be deemed ready for the 2nd half.  Wells and Zimmerman are kind of guys that will probably be given a full year at AAA.  Fenter may need to be protected or not but he is not ready for the majors.

So the couple of open spots on the 40 man roster need to be guys that can offer length.  Starters would be preferable.

The pen has a lot of guys that can go an inning maybe two but there is not much length there either.   Harvey. Givens, Bleier, Castro, Tanner Scott, Carroll, Phillips, and Sulser are not thought of as 3 innings plus pitchers.   Same with Kline and Tate who have not proven themselves at AAA and probably begin there next year.   Muckenhirn may be considered for a  40 man roster spot because of his work at AA and he would only be the third lefty reliever on the 40 man roster.   But he also is a one to two inning guy and not ready for the majors yet.

All in all starters and long relievers should be and I think are at the top of Elias' list this off season.

1 hour ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

I think Luke liked Nate Orf 1 yr or 2 ago as a rule 5 pick.

Yeah, he was on the older side even then and will be 30 next year, so he’s probably not the top option for the Orioles. I would like to see him get an extended look in the majors though. 

A couple of guys that are interesting on brief inspection, 

Johan Mieses, power hitting COF with developing approach

Elvis Escobar, LHP converted from the OF, super athletic, 95mph and the makings of two good offspeed pitches. 2019 was his first year pitching full time but dealt with a shoulder issue.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

In before “Elias won’t be looking for those types of players”

I was just reading the comments here when your final comment came in. Can you clarify your meaning? If you’re referring to the rule five, I’m not sure what we do want, but I would imagine we’re not interested in any outfielders. Are we?

59 minutes ago, Philip said:

I was just reading the comments here when your final comment came in. Can you clarify your meaning? If you’re referring to the rule five, I’m not sure what we do want, but I would imagine we’re not interested in any outfielders. Are we?

I guarantee they aren’t limiting potential minor league free agent acquisitions by position. Major League deals, maybe, but still, the team doesn’t have the talent level to not acquire the best cheap talent they can, regardless of position.

• Upvote 2

On 11/7/2019 at 10:14 AM, MurphDogg said:

Minor League FA list is out at Baseball America.

I believe the O's need starters or long relievers that can give the O's some length on the pitching staff.     As 6 year minor leaguers all these guys are flawed.   I don't think age matters because they are stop gap pitchers who give a chance while the O's are developing their young starters.   Here is the best I found:

Here are three guys to consider:

Teddy Stankiewicz   2019  SP Boston, 26, 6-7,  3.85 ERA , 131 IP 108 K  1.381 WHIP AAA

Michael Peoples 2019 Clev, 28,  10-6, 3.98 ERA. 144 IP, 122 K,  1.286 WHIP AAA

Tim Adleman 2019  Det  32,  9-4  3.32 ERA  103 IP, 109 k  1.146 WHIP AAA