Thursday's Hot Stove Show

Going Underground

4 hours ago, atomic said:

I wouldn't consider those contracts albatross in nature.  If they didn't exist its not like we would spend that money on other players.  And what is it 17 million for Davis and 7 million for Cobb next season.  Combined they don't make what Manny  makes. 

I consider large contracts for players who produce no value to be an albatross.   Plus, the context of my statement was I was discussing the O’s inability to get their payroll as low as the Astros did.    They had three years of $38 mm, $14 mm and $44 mm payrolls.   That’s just about impossible with what we’re paying Davis and Cobb.   

As to their deferred payments, I remind you again that within 18 months after deferred compensation is earned, a sum has to be paid into escrow that will, with interest, fund the deferred compensation when it’s due.   That means that in 2020 the O’s need to pay into escrow amounts that will fund Davis’ deferred $6 mm and Cobb’s deferred $6.5 mm from from 2018.     That’s cash out the door from the O’s standpoint regardless of the fact that the players don’t get the money until later.    

Also, the non-deferred portion of Cobb’s 2020 salary is $9.5 mm, not $7 mm.

Finally, let me say I am still holding out hope that Cobb will pitch well in 2020 and earn some of his salary, despite his inability to generate much if any value in 2018-19.     I don’t lump him and Davis together in the hopeless category.    There’s some chance Cobb will pitch well, no chance (IMO) that Davis will provide any positive value.