2019 #9 Prospect: Gunnar Henderson - SS

Tony-OH

6 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Anticipating NCAA at 1-2 this June, I already kind of peg him as the last piece to blend into the 2022 and onward group.  The storybook would be breaking in about 10 years to the day after Machado (8.9.2012 debut), again buttressing a surprise contender in August.  That'd give him 2.8 minor league seasons to work through 4 levels, assuming he earns Delmarva in the spring.

Make sense to me.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, it does appear.

Just cant happen quick enough, but we will have to show patience.

Nitpicking about where this kid was ranked misses the point. There's certainly worthy debate about how to rank guys who are at such different points on the same list.

What is neat is that a lot of people seem to love this kid's tools. It's not just Tony or Elias. Various baseball people have been online saying he has a ton of potential. He's done nothing yet. Does that mean he should be below Bannon or Alex Wells, who are 1 step away from the majors? Doesn't matter to me where he's put. He deserves discussion.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Nitpicking about where this kid was ranked misses the point. There's certainly worthy debate about how to rank guys who are at such different points on the same list.

What is neat is that a lot of people seem to love this kid's tools. It's not just Tony or Elias. Various baseball people have been online saying he has a ton of potential. He's done nothing yet. Does that mean he should be below Bannon or Alex Wells, who are 1 step away from the majors? Doesn't matter to me where he's put. He deserves discussion.

Personally, I dont care if he is 9th, 10th, or 20th.

It does seam to imply hope, that this kid with raw tools, is a prospect in our system that could actually stay at SS and play as a major league level SS, given the right growth of his skillset through the minors. The fact that others like him, too, its a testament that maybe he was a good draft selection.

I had Gunnar at #11, with Hall, Lowther, Kremer at 8-10.  I think it's great that the Orioles system has improved so much that one of those 4 guys would be out of their top 10.  I've been excited about Gunnar since we got him in the draft.  I never thought he would still be there at the point we got him.  I just felt that Tony and Luke might want to hold off on ranking him in the top 10 with limited pro at bats.  No disagreement with the ranking at all, though.  This kid could be a player!

7 hours ago, atomic said:

Seems like an overly high rating for a guy who was picked in the second round last year and only played in the Gulf Coast league and didn't stand out.  

Not at all, imo.  He's a potential power hitting SS - that alone is exciting, and Weams pointed out his improvement in his batting average at his very young age.  I could see him shooting up the prospect lists.