How do you like the new “three batter” rule?

Frobby

How do you like the new “three batter rule?”  

99 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like the new three batter rule?

• Like it
    • Hate it
    • Not sure, but don’t mind MLB trying it

I realize there’s already a vigorous discussion of this topic in an ongoing thread.   I just wanted a vehicle to post a poll.    Vote here, comment there.    Here’s a link to the other thread:  https://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36693-mlb-will-be-going-to-a-three-batter-minimum-rule-in-2020-that-should-make-it-especially-difficult-for-lefties-who-struggle-versus-righties-to-find-work/

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure.   The other night I started compiling a list of how often we actually "violated" the future rule last season.   I didn't have time to finsish, but I got through Givens/Castro/Fry and we were sitting around 9 times.   Maybe Bleier would have added a few more.   And then who knows if there would have been any among the rest of the pen.

So you are probably talking about something that came up maybe a dozen times a season or a bit more.   But clearly it will hurt LOOGYs the most, although I found a couple Castro examples and a Yacobonis example.

How about a 4th option of "Not in favor, but as long as they are doing it I have an open mind to see the results."  In other words, I do mind that they are doing it, but since they are doing it I'm willing to accept it if the results are less negative than I anticipate.  I can't say that I don't mind, but I don't have a closed-minded hate for it.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I'm not sure.   The other night I started compiling a list of how often we actually "violated" the future rule last season.   I didn't have time to finsish, but I got through Givens/Castro/Fry and we were sitting around 9 times.   Maybe Bleier would have added a few more.   And then who knows if there would have been any among the rest of the pen.

You should have read the other thread, cuz I did this already.   Fry 6, Tanner Scott 3, Castro 2, Yacabonis, Armstrong and Eshelman one each, for a total of 14.     But according to an article posted in the other thread, major league average is about 26 times.   The lack of close games and desire to test our pitchers’ limits in a rebuilding year no doubt caused the O’s to be well below average.   

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, esmd said:

Hate it.  I'm sure someone will point out where I'm wrong, but I can't think of another rule that limits a manager's roster flexibility to the detriment of the team.  A guy comes in and gives up back to back HRs, and you can't remove him before he serves up a beach ball to the 3rd hitter?  Madness, IMO.

You could IBB the third guy. Now that's strategy!

45 minutes ago, esmd said:

Hate it.  I'm sure someone will point out where I'm wrong, but I can't think of another rule that limits a manager's roster flexibility to the detriment of the team.  A guy comes in and gives up back to back HRs, and you can't remove him before he serves up a beach ball to the 3rd hitter?  Madness, IMO.

This is where I am.  I hate it, too.

Reserve the right to change my mind when games are being played and seeing it in action.  But in theory for now, I hate it.

• Upvote 2

Another glaring example of MLB flexing their muscles and trying to fix something, namely the great game of baseball, when it is working fine.  If they want to do something meaningful they should start by standardizing both leagues concerning the DH.  ie.,  correct a  previous mistake.  Either have it or not have it.  I do not care,  but they  should make both  leagues play under the same set of rules.     What other Sport has different rules like that?   

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Oriole1940 said:

Another glaring example of MLB flexing their muscles and trying to fix something, namely the great game of baseball, when it is working fine.  If they want to do something meaningful they should start by standardizing both leagues concerning the DH.  ie.,  correct a  previous mistake.  Either have it or not have it.  I do not care,  but they  should make both  leagues play under the same set of rules.     What other Sport has different rules like that?   

Player's union will never allow the DH to be taken away so might as well bring it to the NL. 

• Upvote 1