Yankees withholding Jacoby's salary

Number5

4 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I don’t know nothing about contract law, but can you really sign a contract that dictates the type of medical  care you can or cannot seek out? Seems like that’s in the same category as signing  away your immortal soul, or your first born child, or  agreeing  to sincerely say you are a Yankee fan.

Teams should let players to whom they owe tens of millions in guaranteed money to go any quack they want?  What if a player wanted to go outside the country?  What if they are prescribed something that triggers a drug test failure?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Teams should let players to whom they owe tens of millions in guaranteed money to go any quack they want?  What if a player wanted to go outside the country?  What if they are prescribed something that triggers a drug test failure?

The teams (and their doctors) have an inherent conflict of interest between their goals and the player's, and those two don't  necessarily overlap.  Team doctors are likely going to give recommendations that tilt toward getting back on the field than towards considering long-term or comprehensive health. Also, in some cases the team may be the one with the quack doctors....or at least not very good ones.....see the recent Trent Williams case. 

I think the broad topic is interesting. Certainly there are lots of personal action/lifestyle clauses in contracts that seem perfectly reasonable, like not riding a motorcycle or not getting fat. But I think things can quickly get into gray areas.....if not ethically then in terms of social acceptability. The pregnancy clauses for female athletes are an example. Or I could see the argument (from a team's perspective) for wanting to have a no children clause for both male and female athletes if they think being a parent lessens a person's desire to be an obsessive gym rat.

6 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

The teams (and their doctors) have an inherent conflict of interest between their goals and the player's, and those two don't  necessarily overlap.  Team doctors are likely going to give recommendations that tilt toward getting back on the field than towards considering long-term or comprehensive health. Also, in some cases the team may be the one with the quack doctors....or at least not very good ones.....see the recent Trent Williams case. 

I think the broad topic is interesting. Certainly there are lots of personal action/lifestyle clauses in contracts that seem perfectly reasonable, like not riding a motorcycle or not getting fat. But I think things can quickly get into gray areas.....if not ethically then in terms of social acceptability. The pregnancy clauses for female athletes are an example. Or I could see the argument (from a team's perspective) for wanting to have a no children clause for both male and female athletes if they think being a parent lessens a person's desire to be an obsessive gym rat.

FYI, Trent Williams leveled an accusation against the Redskins team doctors and the Redskins immediately were open to an independent investigation by the league and the union.  Williams is the one that wants no part of an investigation.  I think maybe you've chosen a poor example for your point.  Given all that has gone on with that team, perhaps Williams was looking to take advantage of public perception of Allen and Snyder thru the media, but when the rubber hit the road, didn't want an investigation into the facts.