Waiving/non-tendering Villar: pro or con?

Frobby

Do you approve Elias’ move of waiving Villar?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with putting Villar on waivers?

• I’m in favor
    • I’m against
    • Don’t know, but I’ll defer to Elias’ judgment

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/29/19 at 04:40

Just now, Roll Tide said:

There were rumors and Roch after the deadline said he just didn’t get what he was looking for.

Which might mean trade us some International slots and we'll take his contract off your hands.  Or pay half his remaining salary and we'll send you Jack Zoeller's less talented brother.

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Okay.  I would rather see Villar at 2nd base than Wilkerson, Alberto or a Rule 5 draft pick - the likely alternatives.  Especially if it’s for nothing.

I can support that. Evidently the maths don't work for that in a tank season. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

I think so too. I've thought so. I am thinking no one wants him for 10. 

If that was the case Elias could’ve signed a reasonable extension. He’s been here long enough.

2-3 more years at 6.5 would make his production more of a win. 

He could’ve gave him a raise before last season and added 2 years.

Villar wouldn’t of been looking for $10 million per year.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

If that was the case Elias could’ve signed a reasonable extension. He’s been here long enough.

Maybe Elias did not want an expensive player during the tank years. 

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

We might get to test that. If he's not claimed by 1:00 Monday, the O's have the right to negotiate with him til 8:00 Monday to sign him at whatever figure could be agreed to.

Surely he wouldn't ask for $10M after every team in baseball passed on claiming him at the arb figure. 

I understand. 10 million should not mean anything. I understand we want him to be worth more to others than he is. His stats seem to indicate he should be. Maybe it's collusion. I don't know. Adam Jones seems pretty snarky about the Orioles. But I don't expect that the budget Elias has set includes those types of expenditure. An I understand folks are upset about that. The Orioles aren't good. They won't be good. May never be good. But the plan that he told us he was running includes these types of moves. He telegraphed this several weeks ago to soften the blow. 

6 minutes ago, weams said:

I can support that. Evidently the maths don't work for that in a tank season. 

I just think that a team with the Orioles resources should not be dumping a useful player over a difference of $2-3 million between what they believe his value is and what he’s likely to get in arbitration.  I also don’t think that dumping Villar or Bundy significantly aids the rebuild.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, NCRaven said:

I just think that a team with the Orioles resources should not be dumping a useful player over a difference of $2-3 million between what they believe his value is and what he’s likely to get in arbitration.  I also don’t think that dumping Villar or Bundy significantly aids the rebuild.  

They evidently think it is more than that. They evidently just wanted to move him anyway. The money made that impossible. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, weams said:

Maybe Elias did not want an expensive player during the tank years. 

Agreed ...still a bad move by a Buffoon!

Hopefully when Peters passes the team will be sold and the new owner will want to pick his own GM!

I don’t like Elias style or approach and this does it. It’s a slap to fans.

Hes done nothing so far MLB personnel wise  that proves he’s competent or anything more than a bean counter.

He traded Cashner for scraps and anyone can put in waiver claims.

He doesn’t even know how to sell assets 

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Agreed ...still a bad move by a Buffoon!

Hopefully when Peters passes the team will be sold and the new owner will want to pick his own GM!

I don’t like Elias style or approach and this does it. It’s a slap to fans.

Hes done nothing so far MLB personnel wise  that proves he’s competent or anything more than a bean counter.

He traded Cashner for scraps and anyone can put in waiver claims.

He doesn’t even know how to sell assets 

Well. That sure summarizes this thread!

17 hours ago, atomic said:

Yeah and it is a never ending argument.  First tell us when we will be competitive again.  It a moving yardstick currently.

Really?   What makes you say that?

I think it's been around 2022 +/- one year since he took over.   Certainly letting go of a guy who will be a free agent after 2020 doesn't move the yardstick.

Cite an example of how you think the "yardstick has moved".

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, 24fps said:

I'm so very, very sick of the argument that so-and-so won't be here for the next competitive Orioles team.

It's a guiding principle of the rebuild, so you will keep hearing it for a while.

After 14 years of patching in Jay Paytons and Cesar Izturiss and Mike DeJeans and that ilk to try to turn 63 win teams into 71 win teams (and usually failing to get to 71 wins anyway) I'm still very much on board with this plan.   Build a great farm system from the ground up like Tampa and St Louis has, with great state of the art player development and teaching practices.  Once it's in place you stand a chance of having a winner for a LONG time like the Cardinals have and like the Astros appear to be on their way to having.

I voted no in this particular poll because I think we should be able to get some reasonable amount of return for Villar.   But I'm still on board with the philosophy.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Just now, SteveA said:

It's a guiding principle of the rebuild, so you will keep hearing it for a while.

After 14 years of patching in Jay Paytons and Cesar Izturiss and Mike DeJeans and that ilk to try to turn 63 win teams into 71 win teams (and usually failing to get to 71 wins anyway) I'm still very much on board with this plan.   Build a great farm system from the ground up like Tampa and St Louis has, with great state of the art player development and teaching practices.  Once it's in place you stand a chance of having a winner for a LONG time like the Cardinals have and like the Astros appear to be on their way to having.

I voted no in this particular poll because I think we should be able to get some reasonable amount of return for Villar.   But I'm still on board with the philosophy.

Excellent take. The goal is not to make a good team yet.