Villar Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas

weams

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Don't know much about the guy they got in return besides his numbers, but a 14th round 22-year senior draftee who will pitch at 23 next year and has never pitched above the NY Penn League is the definition of an org guy.

At the end of the day, the Orioles gave him away because they are unwilling to pay him. As I've stated before, this does nothing to help or hurt the Orioles chances of becoming a contender in the future, but it tells us that they don't care about the fans at all right now, and assume they will just come back when/if they begin to win again. Perhaps they are right because winning seems to solves most fan problems outside of Tampa.

I guess this is where baseball is going. The cold, soulless bottom line moves that are all about the bottom line for the owners. What do the fans get? They see Villar traded for basically a low-ceiling, org guy and get to watch Chris Davis hit .150 next year as he makes $20 plus million dollars. While I did not think the Orioles were going to contend next year, I did think they had a chance top be fun to watch with Villar, Mancini, Santander, Hays and eventually Mountcastle in the lineup. 

It's just a sad day when I see the team I've loved and follow since I was 4 years old, give away their best player while keeping Chris Davis. I understand a rebuild, and I understand all the things Elias has been doing behind the scenes with rebuilding this organization. None of that changes really, but the Orioles have now told their fans to never get attached to any player. If they get slightly expensive, they will be dealt away for nothing if they don't think the team will contend within their window.

Will this change when and if they contend? Perhaps. Who really knows? All we can go off of is what has occurred and the Orioles just released a 4-win 28-year old because of the potential for him to make what, 3-5 million more next year? Where does that money go? The team already has a low payroll despite the ridiculous Davis and Cobb contracts, but I guess that's not enough.

The Orioles are staring at their 3rd straight 100+ loss season. Obviously if the Orioles are consistent contenders down the road, no one will care about this move, and perhaps these moves are only happening because of the current situation, but this also could be the beginning of an organization that will now only make moves for the bottom line. Let's remember, the sons are basically new owners. We have no idea their interest in making money vs winning. 

I just find this all sad. I'm not mad anymore, just sad that this is the way the game is now.

This is where I am Tony! I'm sorry to see Villar go as he was my favorite player. I don't think the organization cares about the fans who buy tickets.

• Upvote 3

So let me get this straight.  We put Villar on waivers so any team in the league could take him for free. No one does, so then we trade him to the Marlins for a prospect, regardless of how good of one. Am I missing something in the fact the the Marlins gave us a player when they didn't even have to?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jgjbanker said:

So let me get this straight.  We put Villar on waivers so any team in the league could take him for free. No one does, so then we trade him to the Marlins for a prospect, regardless of how good of one. Am I missing something in the fact the the Marlins gave us a player when they didn't even have to?

No, he was claimed by multiple teams and the Orioles worked out a trade. Never passed through waivers.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

Villar was our best player for one season (remember he's inconsistent in his career) and still this was the best trade we could get. 

I get being mad at the Os, but there's a larger issue in the game overall.

Also, I think it's possible that this is BOTH a salary move AND an Elias "process" move, and I wager that's the most likely scenario.