If you are going to move Villar to save money you might as well release Davis

atomic

I don’t think there’s any relation between the two. They’d still be paying Davis whether he’s on the team or not. That’s obviously not at all the same conditions with Villar. Apples and oranges as the saying goes...

Though, I think they should release Davis. So we agree on that much. 

35 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

What does Davis have to do with Villar?  Trading Villar means saving about $10M. 

Releasing Davis doesn't do anything besides keeping people from talking about him.  You'll still owe him over $60M.  It's all style over substance.

Saving $10 million takes the sting out having to pay $60 million in dead money.

Logically, there is no relationship between the two. Psychologically and emotionally, there can be. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We probably should find out what DJ Stewart and Dwight Smith can do before we get rid of them.  

Sure, why not?  In Spring Training, Mancini should be playing first full time at ST, and the outfield competition should be between Hays, Santander, Stewart (injured), Mountcastle, Diaz, Mullins, McKenna and Smith. Benching Davis clears a spot in our most talent-rich part of the upper minors - the outfield. 

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

O's came very close to losing out on a ~6 win season from Steve Pearce because of roster constraints, so theoretically the impact of Davis taking up a slot could be significant.

Yes, let's use wild, off-the-wall, once in a generation outliers as justification for moves.  The O's came very close to losing out on a six-win season from Steve Pearce, but luckily 29 other teams let him pass through waivers multiple times because they didn't see it coming, either.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

Yes, let's use wild, off-the-wall, once in a generation outliers as justification for moves.  The O's came very close to losing out on a six-win season from Steve Pearce, but luckily 29 other teams let him pass through waivers multiple times because they didn't see it coming, either.

If it gets Davis off the 40 man I sure will.

• Haha 1

I'd rather have a lottery ticket round 3 Rule V pick than Chris Davis. I don't care if he gets better. He's not part of the future here and everyone knows it.

If you get rid of Villar, you should get rid of Davis. They're not related except in the rationale for the roster move. An organization that's focused on the future should turn over every available rock to prepare for that future.

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I'd rather have a lottery ticket round 3 Rule V pick than Chris Davis. I don't care if he gets better. He's not part of the future here and everyone knows it.

If you get rid of Villar, you should get rid of Davis. They're not related except in the rationale for the roster move. An organization that's focused on the future should turn over every available rock to prepare for that future.

I'd like to see Davis released, too.  I'm a little surprised he's still here.  But the impact of having him here, at least until opening day, is minimal.

I'd like to see Davis released, too.  I'm a little surprised he's still here.  But the impact of having him here, at least until opening day, is minimal.

Agree. Like I said, I'd rather have the lottery ticket (e.g., minimal value) to Chris Davis, who has no value. 

30 minutes ago, oriole said:

I don’t think there’s any relation between the two. They’d still be paying Davis whether he’s on the team or not. That’s obviously not at all the same conditions with Villar. Apples and oranges as the saying goes...

Though, I think they should release Davis. So we agree on that much. 

Keeping Davis on the team over replacing him is only costing you the league minimum.  He is providing nothing to the team positive.  Fans don't want to see him play.  We are in a total rebuild.  We saved $10 million on releasing Villar why not give us a new outlook by removing Davis and  paying someone $500k to take his place.  

We aren't competing. Even if Davis by some miracle became a good player again it wouldn't help us compete and no one would trade for him. 

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Keeping Davis on the team over replacing him is only costing you the league minimum.  He is providing nothing to the team positive.  Fans don't want to see him play.  We are in a total rebuild. 

I want CD gone more than most so I agree with your post, especially the new look without him. However, in the 4 games I went to last year, each time CD came to the plate, he got a nice round of applause, not a round of boos. That is too small a sample size to be meaningful, but maybe the causal fan that still attends applauds because they recognize him. Maybe that's worth something to the front office so they want to make every effort to save him before cutting him. I know if I go to any games in 2020 there will be a LH starter to minimize my viewing displeasure.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

What does Davis have to do with Villar?  Trading Villar means saving about $10M. 

Releasing Davis doesn't do anything besides keeping people from talking about him.  You'll still owe him over $60M.  It's all style over substance.

Well, Elias said everything is all about their "strategic objectives, which prioritize the future right now." 

How does keeping Chris Davis address that? We all get he's a sunk cost, but what strategic objective includes keeping around the biggest albatross contract in baseball. The one that hopes he gets hurt and they can recoup some money through insurance? The one that hopes Davis will tire of being a laughing stock and retire? 

You're right, releasing Villar saves them money while keeping Davis does not, but keeping Davis also doesn't focus on strategic objectives, which prioritize the future right now!

• Upvote 1