Bundy traded to Angels for Isaac Mattson, Kyle Bradish, Zach Peek, and Kyle Brnovich

MurphDogg

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

As pointed out in the non-tender thread, there are some interesting names on that list that could come cheap:   Tyler Anderson, Taijuan Walker, Kevin Gausman.

Key will be what opportunities they get elsewhere. This team isn’t winning any recruiting battles right now. 

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

Luke this awesome information to spit out so quickly for us, appreciate it! Could you give us a ball park of where you would slot them in our prospect ranks?

Peek is better than McLarty, so he's top 30. Remember when you look at other lists, they aren't going to be bold with guys who were just drafted and haven't pitched yet. It's easier to take a wait and see.

Bradish is tough to place among the O's prospects, because the 12-24 range is littered with mediocre stuff performers, where Bradish isn't that, he could have mid-rotation stuff but needs to throw more strikes. He fits with what Holt is doing and I wouldn't be surprised if he comes out and shoots up lists next year.

Brnovich is probably around 30. Mattson is probably around Pop, but I need to dig a little bit there, I've only seen a little bit.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Per Ken Rosenthal.

Mattson was very good in 2019 between A+, AA, and AAA, and was excellent in the Arizona Fall League as well.

2019 was his first season as a reliever and he responded well to it.

Fangraphs had him as ranked #32 as a 35+ FV but presumably will increase that after his stellar 2019.

This post will be updated with info on additional pitchers soon.

Nice Catch Murph....See what happens when I eat dinner and take 30 minutes looking through a locked thread for an old quote!

Bradish was their #21 ranked RH SP! He was drafted in the 4th Round

18 starts 101 innings 120 Ks 54 walks and a 4.28 ERA in A+ level

Kyle Bradish | Rank: 21 (Preseason: NR)

Team: Inland Empire 66ers (A Adv) ETA: 2022 Position: RHP Age: 23 DOB: 09/12/1996 Bats: R Throws: R Height: 6' 4" Weight: 190 lb. Drafted: 2018, 4th (121) - LAA

Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Curveball: 50 | Slider: 50 | Changeup: 45 | Control: 45 | Overall: 40

Bradish spent three years as a weekend starter for New Mexico State University, earning first-team all-WAC honors as a sophomore. It was an All-Star turn in the Cape Cod League the summer after that season that really put him on the map and his strong performance as a junior catapulted him into the fourth round of the 2018 Draft, where he signed for a bit below pick value ($397,500). He didn't pitch the summer after being drafted, but made his professional debut in 2019 in the Class A Advanced California League.

Bradish's size and stuff attracted amateur scouts and have helped him get off to a solid start against pro hitters. The 6-foot-4 right-hander can touch the mid-90s at times and can sit comfortably in the low 90s. He couples that well with his big 76- to 80-mph curveball that can miss bats and he mixes in a changeup as well. His cutter-like slider might end up being his best secondary pitch in the future, thrown in the upper 80s. He gets a lot of deception with his delivery, with hitters having a hard time picking the ball up out of his hand.

The downside of that deceptive delivery is the effort and moving parts that come with it, which have led to control and command problems. With a potential four-pitch mix, he could have a chance to start, and the Angels are letting him develop in a rotation. His fastball-breaking ball combination could play up in shorter stints out of the bullpen, however, where his command wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Mattson (24 ...19th rounder) was not listed in MLBs top 30 either ,,,, But I expect he'd probably move up. Pitched 75 inning this year with a 2.33 ERA. I'd be surprised if they don't give him a chance to start,

Peek (21 Years old)looks like a 6th rounder from 2019??? Can someone help me with the rules. I didn't think prospects could be dealt in  year 1 after the draft.

Same with Kyle Brnovich (22 Years Old) .... He was also drafted this year in the 8th round....Same Question

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Per Ken Rosenthal.

Mattson was a 2017 19th round draftee out of Pitt who was very good in 2019 between A+, AA, and AAA, and was excellent in the Arizona Fall League as well.

2019 was his first season as a reliever and he responded well to it.

Fangraphs had him as ranked #32 as a 35+ FV but presumably will increase that after his stellar 2019.

Bradish was a 2018 4th round pick out of New Mexico State (same school as Joey Ortiz) who signed for $397,500 (60-ish K under slot value of $455,700).

Bradish did not pitch in 2018 and started 2019 in the California League (A+) which is fairly aggressive for a college draftee in his first full season, especially one who didn't get his feet wet the previous season. He stayed there the whole season, making 18 starts and 6 relief appearances, pitching to a 4.28 ERA over 101 innings with a K/9 of 10.7 and a BB/9 of 4.7

Peek was a 2019 6th round pick out of Winthrop, who signed for $267,800 (slot was $260,100). Fangraphs had him as the 181st best prospect in the draft. He did not pitch in the 2019 minor league season.

Brnovich was a 2019 8th round pick out of Elon, who signed for $168,700 (slot was $164,700). BA had him as the 107th best prospect in the draft, Fangraphs had him as the 241st best prospect. He did not pitch in the 2019 minor league season.

Updated the opening post to include background info and links on all the pitchers acquired.

36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One takeaway I have from these trades is that Elias thinks our next window is pretty far away.    The guys we are acquiring are mostly very far away from the majors.    

But they are already relatively old for prospects.  I'd rather have the Dominican 17 year-olds with promise than probably any of these guys.  You don't trade for 5th and 6th inning relievers.

I'm never crazy about quantity over quality. I'm not fooling myself into thinking that Bundy would net a premium prospect. But maybe one 15-20 in their system instead of four guys? Or two 25-30 guys and no one else.

It's easy to give up 30+ guys in even a good system--obviously they're not all going to make the 26-man roster.

Maybe they want to flip fringe players for international pool money? And therefore stockpiling??

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

But they are already relatively old for prospects.  I'd rather have the Dominican 17 year-olds with promise than probably any of these guys.  You don't trade for 5th and 6th inning relievers.

The draft is mostly college players these days, and that is what these guys are. None are too old for their level, the two that have played in the minors played at appropriate levels last year (A+ in 2019 for a 2018 draftee and all the way up to AAA for a 2017 draftee, but as a reliever).

• Upvote 1

Brnovich is a Karinchak starter kit. Practically the same pitcher in college.

Peek is the ceiling arm. 

Bradish is the Baumann type, could be a big stuff guy but with a delivery and command that make some think bullpen. 

It's completely a bet that Holt and crew can develop pitchers. 

• Upvote 3