Tigers sign Schoop to a 1-year $6.1M contract

MurphDogg

1 hour ago, Scalious said:

What would be a better path of spending 10M?

Max out international spending.  Max out draft spending.  Infrastructure.  Scouts.  Analytics tools and personnel.  Or put most of it in a low-risk investment, ready to be spent in 2023 when they're in the part of the competitive window where it might matter.  What are they going to be likely to get for a few months of a 2-win second baseman?  Hint: Some team's #22 prospect, for about $3M.  Schoop is coming off two years worse than Jonathan Villar, and the O's got almost nothing for him. 

Spending for a few wins coming off a 47-win season is essentially setting the money on fire so their version of @atomic won't complain so much.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

Max out international spending.  Max out draft spending.  Infrastructure.  Scouts.  Analytics tools and personnel.  Or put most of it in a low-risk investment, ready to be spent in 2023 when they're in the part of the competitive window where it might matter.  What are they going to be likely to get for a few months of a 2-win second baseman?  Hint: Some team's #22 prospect, for about $3M.  Schoop is coming off two years worse than Jonathan Villar, and the O's got almost nothing for him. 

Spending for a few wins coming off a 47-win season is essentially setting the money on fire so their version of @atomic won't complain so much.

I think that’s too harsh.    For all we know they’re already spending amply in all those other areas.    Their payroll looks to be down considerably from 2019 even with these acquisitions.  If they feel they can spend a bit on 2020 payroll without jeopardizing current spending in other areas or future payroll spending, I don’t have a problem with it.    I do agree that Schoop isn’t likely to bring much back at the deadline.   

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

There are hard caps for IFA spending. I don't think these deals have anything to do with how much they are willing to spend on IFAs. You can't go ham like the Padres and Yankees did years ago.

That and the IFA market is a pre-determined market. They are making these deals with kids years well before they turn 16. That is why its going to take a few years until the Orioles start to bring in big IFA names.

As for infrastructure. I'd agree, but avlia is an established GM. He's probably already made the major changes he wanted to. Also back to the point that these teams are likely given yearly budgets. So its spend it now, not later. At the end of the day we are both making a lot of assumptions. We dont know what the books look like.

Edited by Scalious

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What's your definition of competent?  The Jays are spending money to finish in 4th place.  

The Jays just had Vlad Guerrero Jr, Bo Bichette, and Cavan Biggio all arrive in the majors last year. They already had Gurriel Jr - and Danny Jansen should get better.

They have a top arm in Nate Pearson ready to arrive in 2020. They just signed Ryu, Roark, and Chase Anderson - which could be a sneaky good rotation.

They play in a city with almost 3 million people. Why shouldn't they spend money? The time is now for them.

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think that’s too harsh.    For all we know they’re already spending amply in all those other areas.    Their payroll looks to be down considerably from 2019 even with these acquisitions.  If they feel they can spend a bit on 2020 payroll without jeopardizing current spending in other areas or future payroll spending, I don’t have a problem with it.    I do agree that Schoop isn’t likely to bring much back at the deadline.   

Maybe it is too harsh. But it's similar to what the 2007 Orioles would have done.  It's burning $6M on a guy who won't be there in a year, who will not even remotely put them in contention, and will probably bring back little at the deadline.  I guess a more charitable take is that they're rolling the dice that he'll repeat 2017 and bring back a halfway decent prospect for their money.

20 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

That is a crazy overpay for Schoop.

If they were going to waste 6 million dollars, Adam Jones may have been a better value.

Schoop is an average MLB hitter, he's an average fielding second baseman, and he's 27.

Jones is a below-average hitter, he's a below-average fielding RFer, and he's 33.

How is Jones a better value?  His sage advice to the youths?

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

Looks like they are. Not sure how many people the Orioles have in total in the analytics department?

The Tigers' player payroll is expected to stay much the same going into next season, enough to make some signings on a budget but not a major splash. Their major investment continues to be in analytics.

What was a one-man analytics department when Al Avila took over as general manager was up to 14 members this year. It’ll grow beyond that this winter as the Tigers look to add analytics brain power to their farm system.

“We’re adding more analytics. We’re adding more people,” manager Ron Gardenhire said. “We’re going out in search of college people that have really set the table and the groundwork for all this stuff, that know what they’re doing. As we speak, our guys are out there looking for people that are more involved in this.

https://www.mlb.com/news/tigers-to-spend-on-analytics-again

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Looks like they are. Not sure how many people the Orioles have in total in the analytics department?

The Tigers' player payroll is expected to stay much the same going into next season, enough to make some signings on a budget but not a major splash. Their major investment continues to be in analytics.

What was a one-man analytics department when Al Avila took over as general manager was up to 14 members this year. It’ll grow beyond that this winter as the Tigers look to add analytics brain power to their farm system.

“We’re adding more analytics. We’re adding more people,” manager Ron Gardenhire said. “We’re going out in search of college people that have really set the table and the groundwork for all this stuff, that know what they’re doing. As we speak, our guys are out there looking for people that are more involved in this.

https://www.mlb.com/news/tigers-to-spend-on-analytics-again

I think it was weams who suggested Avila was not an analytics guy.    That may not be his personal strength, but he seems to recognize its importance.