6 Starters, 21 relievers at AAA in December

wildcard

I see a bunch of reliever inventory at AAA.

First, who is on the O's major league pitching staff.

Starters:  Means, Cobb, Wojo,  Bailey(Opener)  and TBA (To Be Acquired)

Relievers: Harvey, Bleier, Castro:  Guys that have nothing to prove at AAA: Scott, Carroll, Sulser; Rucker(Rule 5) and one TBA that is a long man

Givens is traded.

Starters at AAA:  (6) Akins, Baumann, Kremer, Lowther, Zimmerman and Wells

Reliever candidates at AAA: (21)  Off the major league roster with major league experience:  Armstrong, Fry, Hess, Phillips

On the major league roster but have not proven themselves at AAA:  Tate, Kline and Hanhold

Up from AA:  Alvarado, Muckenhirn, Erwin and Mattson

Others:  Shepherd, Eshelman, Herb, Rogers, Blach, Ortiz, Zastryzny, Flaa,  Jimenez, Hunter Cervenka

Some will get pushed down to AA.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

That last list of 10 names. Most are not going to be in the organization at all by the time the season starts.

Lefty Hunter Cervenka has a chance to make the O's pen next year.  He has a  2.80  ERA in AAA last year and most of that was in the PCL.

Luis Ortiz is still only 24 years old.  

Zastryzny is a former Cub that Elias just signed.  They must have seen something they think they can improve.

Francisco Jimenez is 25 and had a good season at AA last season.

Just now, wildcard said:

Lefty Hunter Cervenka has a chance to make the O's pen next year.  He has a  2.80  ERA in AAA last year and most of that was in the PCL.

Luis Ortiz is still only 24 years old.  

Zastryzny is a former Cub that Elias just signed.  They must have seen something they thing they can improve.

Francisco Jimenez is 25 and had a good season at AA last season.

I would hope a 25 year old would have a good year at AA.

I think Akin, Armstrong, and Fry all make the team. Cody Carroll needs to re-prove himself after a rough ML debut and then missing a whole year of action.

A lot of other guys on your list (Herb, Flaa, Eshelman, Jimenez, etc.) are just organizational guys. They can be released or sent to AA and it won't matter.

Right now today: Harvey, Bleier, Castro, Rucker, Fry, Armstrong, Scott, and Sulser could be the Orioles pen. (I agree, Givens is traded).

Tate, Kline, Phillips, Carroll, Mattson, Cervenka, Alvarado are the next 7 interesting names. That could be Norfolk's pen.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

I think Akin, Armstrong, and Fry all make the team. Cody Carroll needs to re-prove himself after a rough ML debut and then missing a whole year of action.

A lot of other guys on your list (Herb, Flaa, Eshelman, Jimenez, etc.) are just organizational guys. They can be released or sent to AA and it won't matter.

Right now today: Harvey, Bleier, Castro, Rucker, Fry, Armstrong, Scott, and Sulser could be the Orioles pen. (I agree, Givens is traded).

Tate, Kline, Phillips, Carroll, Mattson, Cervenka, Alvarado are the next 7 interesting names. That could be Norfolk's pen.

You could be right.   i just have not figured out why Armstrong and Fry will be better this coming season.

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

You could be right.   i just have not figured out why Armstrong and Fry will be better this coming season.

I'm not expecting big improvement either, but they're both fine 7th inning guys on a bad team. 4.45 and 4.08 career FIPs. Not good, not bad. None of Tate, Carroll, Kline, etc. are beating down the door yet, so I'm fine with giving innings to those guys.

On 12/22/2019 at 11:13 AM, luismatos4prez said:

I  think the pen needs at least one long reliever.   That is Elias job to add one or more.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2019 at 11:17 AM, Enjoy Terror said:

Thought this was interesting: just talking about non-40 man roster players in AAA, the Astros only have one non-home grown player on their roster (Brendan McCurry), the Orioles only have one homegrown player (Jimenez).

Huh? Lowther, Baumann, Wells, Flaa, Gonzalez, Alvarado, Muckenhirm, Erwin, Chleborad are also all home grown non-40 man potential AAA pitchers (assuming you are referring just to pitchers).

11 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Pitchers that are potentially at Norfolk are not at all at Norfolk.

So you think none of those guys will be at Norfolk? I'm confused, surely Lowther, Baumann, Wells, and Alvarado are pretty much locks to be at Norfolk. The others are between somewhat likely to extremely likely to be at Norfolk as well (you never really know with minor league non-prospect relievers, sometimes they bounce around).

3 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

So you think none of those guys will be at Norfolk? I'm confused, surely Lowther, Baumann, Wells, and Alvarado are pretty much locks to be at Norfolk. The others are between somewhat likely to extremely likely to be at Norfolk as well (you never really know with minor league non-prospect relievers, sometimes they bounce around).

It’s not about what think. They are objectively not there. The Tides roster is available for everyone to view.