Should we go after Jeff Luhnow?

Moose Milligan

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know.    If MLB saw fit to suspend them for only a year, it might not be strong enough cause for outright termination.    But, you could argue it the other way.   And of course, who knows what their contracts said (if anything) about what constitutes “cause.”

Let's say they do have some legal cause to dispute the firing.   The only recourse would be to sue for wrongful termination, right?

Maybe they win, maybe they don't.   But do you think if they sue an owner for firing they will EVER get hired in any capacity in MLB again?   I don't.   So suing would be essentially biting off your nose to spite your face.   Maybe they'd get some compensation but if they hope to have any future in MLB, they probably have to just accept their firing with contrition and wait for enough time to go by until they aren't radioactive anymore and maybe can get another job in baseball.

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Roch was on 105.7 this morning and Haynie & Vinnie asked him that question.   He says he doubts it.  Elias is a year into the rebuild here with his fingerprints all over the entire organization, he doubts he would want to go back to Houston with the situation they are in now.   But he also said that anything is possible, he couldn't say there was zero chance.

There’s also the fact that he now lives relatively close to his parents, who reside in Northern Virginia.    Maybe not a factor, but it could be, until Jim Crane backs up a Brink’s truck.   

9 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Let's say they do have some legal cause to dispute the firing.   The only recourse would be to sue for wrongful termination, right?

Maybe they win, maybe they don't.   But do you think if they sue an owner for firing they will EVER get hired in any capacity in MLB again?   I don't.   So suing would be essentially biting off your nose to spite your face.   Maybe they'd get some compensation but if they hope to have any future in MLB, they probably have to just accept their firing with contrition and wait for enough time to go by until they aren't radioactive anymore and maybe can get another job in baseball.

I worked at a company where the CEO was terminated for sexual harassment.  He was still getting paid at least a year later.  Executives don't ever seem to face real actions for their bad behaviors. Wouldn't be surprised if Lunhow got paid his entire contract.

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

So he'd only do it if he thought that ship had sailed.  Otherwise, I agree.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There’s also the fact that he now lives relatively close to his parents, who reside in Northern Virginia.    Maybe not a factor, but it could be, until Jim Crane backs up a Brink’s truck.   

This is just a scary thought at this point.  We get a GM who is doing the right things, and then lose him.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think it’s highly unlikely.    

I forgot to mention the fact that Roch also mentioned it is possible the Orioles wouldn't even allow him to interview for the job as it would not be a promotion.

Similar to the Duquette situation.

22 hours ago, joelala said:

In all seriousness though, I would be open to the idea of Hinch as our next manager if he doesn’t receive a lifetime ban...

No way.  I think he's more at fault than Luhnow, since he was in the dugout and had to know exactly what was going on.  I could buy Luhnow not fully knowing since he's the GM and isn't in the dugout.  But I doubt either of them works in MLB for a long, long, time, if ever.  I think Alex Cora is probably on very thin ice as well.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I forgot to mention the fact that Roch also mentioned it is possible the Orioles wouldn't even allow him to interview for the job as it would not be a promotion.

Similar to the Duquette situation.

I’m sure this has occurred to the Astros, if they were even thinking about Elias.    

45 minutes ago, esmd said:

No way.  I think he's more at fault than Luhnow, since he was in the dugout and had to know exactly what was going on.  I could buy Luhnow not fully knowing since he's the GM and isn't in the dugout.  But I doubt either of them works in MLB for a long, long, time, if ever.  I think Alex Cora is probably on very thin ice as well.

To me the red flag on Hinch is that he says he hated the cheating, but didn't order it stopped.   Instead, on two occasions, he trashed the monitors they were using and the players involved had to replace them.

That's not leadership.   That's bizarre, even childish, passive aggressive behavior, if you ask me.   If you are in charge and don't want it, order it stopped.   Don't throw a tantrum a couple times and ruin a laptop and then let it continue.

I wouldn't hire him for any leadership position.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know.    If MLB saw fit to suspend them for only a year, it might not be strong enough cause for outright termination.    But, you could argue it the other way.   And of course, who knows what their contracts said (if anything) about what constitutes “cause.”

At the very least, I’m pretty sure that the fine print include something about “conduct unbecoming” And if “cheating” doesn’t count as grounds for dismissal, nothing does. And Hinch admits that he knew about it. His comments on that subject are embarrassingly stupid.

I know nothing about whether Luhnow is likable or not,  Although it is pretty shameful that all of a sudden everybody is saying he’s not, but if the Houston people want to terminate his contract and not pay him anymore, they can say,”Sue us if you dare, And we will dig a little deeper into that St. Louis situation, and maybe we can find grounds for criminal charges.”

1 minute ago, Philip said:

At the very least, I’m pretty sure that the fine print include something about “conduct unbecoming” And if “cheating” doesn’t count as grounds for dismissal, nothing does. And Hinch admits that he knew about it. His comments on that subject are embarrassingly stupid.

I know nothing about whether Luhnow is likable or not,  Although it is pretty shameful that all of a sudden everybody is saying he’s not, but if the Houston people want to terminate his contract and not pay him anymore, they can say,”Sue us if you dare, And we will dig a little deeper into that St. Louis situation, and maybe we can find grounds for criminal charges.”

In my experience, generally, the more money involved in a contract, the more detailed and specific it is.   Luhnow is probably making a couple million bucks a year or more, so I’d expect the termination language in his deal to have a lot of detail about what does and doesn’t qualify.  

It still amazes me that the O’s pretty much had to waive the white flag in their case with Ponson over whether he gave them cause to terminate his contract.