Poll: what do you think of the Astros’ punishment?

Frobby

What do you think of the Astros’ punishment?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the Astros’ punishment?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/20/20 at 20:32

18 minutes ago, atomic said:

Interesting that he only got a sentence of 15 months. The guy who broke in the Astro's database got a lot more than that.   Seems his crime was much worse.

Yes,and he claimed that the Astros broke in first. But people claim things that are not always true. 

Former St. Louis Cardinals scouting director Chris Correa on Tuesday said he accepts responsibility for a breach of the Houston Astros' baseball operations database, but he maintains that the Astros were the team that first stole information.

Correa on Tuesday issued a statement on Twitter saying his actions came as the result of finding out that the Astros first stole the Cardinals' data.

"On December 21, 2011, a Houston Astros employee accessed proprietary data on a St. Louis Cardinals server. Later, I would learn -- through unlawful methods -- that Cardinals' data were used extensively from 2012 through 2014," Correa said in the statement, which he said would be his last while he serves a 46-month prison sentence.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18592311/chris-correa-maintains-allegations-houston-astros-first-stole-information-st-louis-cardinals

7 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

You mean pros? Been at least five point shaving scandals in college basketball that we know of.

I should have been more clear.    It’s hard for a player or team to gain advantage by cheating.    It’s easy for players to throw games or for refs to influence the outcome.   

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I should have been more clear.    It’s hard for a player or team to gain advantage by cheating.    It’s easy for players to throw games or for refs to influence the outcome.   

How many Super Bowls have the Patriots won?  Also how many Tour de France's did Lance Armstrong  win?  I think cheating seems the way to win.  Like I posted in another thread 3 Hall of Fame pitchers were suspended for cheating.  Seems like it works to me. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

One thing about basketball: it’s pretty hard to cheat in that sport.   

It would be a lot harder to cheat in baseball if you made all sign stealing legal. If you don't want your signs stolen come up with better cryptography.

Although you'd still have doctored balls, corked bats (those should be legal, too, since they're actually counter-productive), and PEDs.

1 minute ago, atomic said:

How many Super Bowls have the Patriots won?  Also how many Tour de France's did Lance Armstrong  win?  I think cheating seems the way to win.  Like I posted in another thread 3 Hall of Fame pitchers were suspended for cheating.  Seems like it works to me. 

Because it's either very lightly punished or not at all.  Unions and commissioners-hired-by-owners make a tight group.

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Maybe you misunderstood me.   I’m saying it’s harder in basketball.   It’s a more spontaneous, reactive kind of game.   Things akin to sign stealing, greasing the baseball, deflating the football, monitoring the other team’s sideline etc. aren’t really possible to the same extent as in baseball or football where there are constant pauses in the action.   Body enhancement is certainly possible but other things aren’t, or would have to be much more limited.   

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Maybe you misunderstood me.   I’m saying it’s harder in basketball.   It’s a more spontaneous, reactive kind of game.   Things akin to sign stealing, greasing the baseball, deflating the football, monitoring the other team’s sideline etc. aren’t really possible to the same extent as in baseball or football where there are constant pauses in the action.   Body enhancement is certainly possible but other things aren’t, or would have to be much more limited.   

What is comes down to is the amount of tactical planning from coaches or similar (in baseball, the catcher).  In basketball, soccer, probably hockey, maybe rugby there's little or none of that.  A soccer manager discusses and lays out tactical plans during training, and it's up to the individual players to execute that in a game.  The decisions on how to execute plays or how the game flows are in the heads of each player.  To "steal" plans you'd have to be reading the minds of the opponents.  There's no secret codes, no radios, no delving into game theory three turns ahead.

There is a pretty easy fix in baseball, since the pitcher-catcher interaction is really the only (slightly) encrypted tactical communications.  They could allow electronic aides to facilitate communications between pitcher and catchers and the bench.  Either radio, or some other kind of signaling device.  Or a team could just decide to have the pitcher call all the pitches and not tell anyone ahead of time.  Allow all sign stealing, and then start judging catchers on how well they anticipate pitches.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hey look, evidently the 80's White Sox teams did something similar.

I'm shocked.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/jack-mcdowell-80s-white-sox-tony-la-russa-cheated/fac8vh3ph8vb1dkja2jox1n10

And the Mets.  Heck this came out in 1995 AND NO ONE CARED.

598pk2plxya41.jpg

Cheated is ingrained in baseball.

Might explain Larussa’s success as a manager.  

Evidently Beltran’s niece is someone called incaritated Bob who has a bunch of twitter accounts where claims opposite things on each and then when he is right he publicizes the account. If he is writing he just deletes the tweets and makes more guesses on things from those accounts.

Eventually over months he will get things a few things right and delete all the things  that were wrong add a bunch of fake followers