Poll: what do you think of the Astros’ punishment?

Frobby

What do you think of the Astros’ punishment?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the Astros’ punishment?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/20/20 at 20:32

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I'd rather have a good team that didn't win the WS than be what the Astros are right now, which is a former winner with a cloud over that championship. 

IMO, I don't think people will even remember that cloud in  5 - 10 years. The only thing that MLB could have done to make it stick was to put a permanent asterisk next to their championship. 

I'm am really unsure in the grand scheme of things.  The emphasis was on manager/GM which were fired quickly which will have impact, but limited on the franchise.  The draft picks do hurt long term, but I would imagine they will still have an ok window.  The 5 mill probably doesn't mean to much to them.

It definitely has an impact and should dissuade some future activities, but how much idk.

Personally, it is disappointing there are no player fines/suspension/consequences.  Whether that's MLBPA related or general decision, idk. 

I'm also with Can_of_corn on this, punishments need to be laid out now (earlier really, but that is done).  If the Red Sox aren't hit as hard, there is a level of playing favorites.  As a fan it seems that some teams are treated differently (even if the Red Sox are hit with the same I'll feel this way with past events).  It shouldn't be judgement in the moment. 

I think the severity likely diminishes the likelihood in the future, so with the 3 options given I'm going to say the level is fair (even if how they got there was a bit convoluted/lacking precedent).

This poll doesn’t give the option of complaining about the people who don’t get punished at all. Beltran and the players who participated.

And Red Sox penalty hasn’t been announced yet. Remember they got slapped after 2017, and then they did it again. Beltran should be suspended, and Cora banned for life because he concocted an elaborate scam with two different teams.

So this poll is incomplete and premature.

I've said before that the issues I have is with the lack of guidelines in place and how this ruling doesn't follow established precedent.  If I were to exclude those factors and just look at it from a punishment standpoint I don't think it is out of line.

All they would have had to do was after the Apple Watch incident make it clear that future violations would result in suspensions for the executives involved and the forfeiture of draft picks in addition to the fine the Red Sox were subject to.  But MLB won't do that.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

I think the punishment for the organization was fair.   I think it completely wrong that none of the players,  who by all reports were the real culprits in this scheme,  were punished in any way. 

It is a lot easier for the league to punish a team than the players.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think it shows the commissioner is pretty upset.

I am also glad about two things related to Elias. 1) no one seems to be pointing a figure at him. 2) He has a contract with the O's.   Otherwise the Astros would be calling him.

I think it shows the commissioner is very concern with public opinion.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Philip said:

This poll doesn’t give the option of complaining about the people who don’t get punished at all. Beltran and the players who participated.

And Red Sox penalty hasn’t been announced yet. Remember they got slapped after 2017, and then they did it again. Beltran should be suspended, and Cora banned for life because he concocted an elaborate scam with two different teams.

So this poll is incomplete and premature.

Beltran is not being punished by MLB, he was the cooperating witness. He may get fired by the Mets.