Beckham returning?

Sir_Loin

21 hours ago, Philip said:

The point isn’t that we need somebody, nobody disagrees with that, the argument is whether we need Beckham himself, and I vote with the crowd that says it doesn’t really matter either way, but I also vote with the crowd that says let’s find somebody else.

Players who can play 3B, SS, 2B, LF and RF and not embarrass themselves with the stick dont grow on trees.

The value added in Beckham is he serves the "pull in case of emergency" role that you would otherwise need 2-3 players to fill.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, atomic said:

I am not sure which side you are on here.  I would rather pay Holt.

19 hours ago, interloper said:

He's on the side of signing a much less risky player who is younger and similar in talent level, than overpaying for a meh player like Holt. Meh players should be minor league deals.

If Holt is asking for $5 million and an MLB role, then yes.  It's an emergency role player, so you need as much flexibility as you can get.  While I think Holt would potentially provide more value I think his demands negate that value.

3 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Players who can play 3B, SS, 2B, LF and RF and not embarrass themselves with the stick dont grow on trees.

The value added in Beckham is he serves the "pull in case of emergency" role that you would otherwise need 2-3 players to fill.

Yes I understand that, And as I said, I don’t particularly care whether we sign him or not, Although his undependable defense bothers me, And I would prefer to find someone else.

41 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes I understand that, And as I said, I don’t particularly care whether we sign him or not, Although his undependable defense bothers me, And I would prefer to find someone else.

Runs saved or runs created, it doesnt really matter.  Good defense is more aesthetically pleasing, but it doesnt really matter.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Runs saved or runs created, it doesnt really matter.  Good defense is more aesthetically pleasing, but it doesnt really matter.

Well, continuing your line of thought, baseball, baseball, it doesn’t matter. 

Beckham’s defense is bad. If he’s versatile enough to play lots of positions, that means his defense is bad at lots of positions. His offense obviously does not compensate for that defense, or he would have a job somewhere. With our team where it is, if they want to bring him on board On a minor league contract, then fine. I don’t care very much either way, although I would prefer that they not.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

Beckham’s defense is bad. If he’s versatile enough to play lots of positions, that means his defense is bad at lots of positions. His offense obviously does not compensate for that defense, or he would have a job somewhere. With our team where it is, if they want to bring him on board On a minor league contract, then fine. I don’t care very much either way, although I would prefer that they not.

Have you seen the list of remaining free agents?  It's a better team than the Orioles.  This is flawed logic.

9 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Have you seen the list of remaining free agents?  It's a better team than the Orioles.  This is flawed logic.

You’re suggesting that no one available, either in the Oriole system or as a FA( ML or MiL) is better than Beckham.

If that’s true, then sure, bring him on. I don’t care either way, but again, if he were a desirable player someone would have signed him

I don't even get what the debate is about Beckham.  He's only served 42/80 games of his suspension.  Even if he does sign a milb deal with us, he'll have a June 1, or June 15, or July 1, opt out date.  So he'll basically be on a long "rehab" assignment and then we'll have to see where we stand with injuries, depth, and the performance of Ruiz, Wilkerson, and Urena.  

The better question that should be asked is if we're willing to sign a PED user, why aren't we willing to sign Addison Russell?  I'm not advocating for either one, but I also don't think Russell will be black balled forever.  We're actually the perfect team to sign Russell.  What are the 1,112 fans in the stands going to boo him?

4 hours ago, Philip said:

Yeah anyone can play a lot of positions badly.  You could put Chris Davis at Shortstop if you wanted for example.   And Beckham is even worse at Third than at Shortstop.  His high strike out rate and his low OBP make him very un-fun player to watch.  Add that to his upcoming suspension and he might be an even worse hitter if he stops taking PEDs.  

I don't see the need to bring Beckham even on a minor league deal.  It is like rubbing salt into our wounds.  If you are going to get someone awful at least have someone who we haven't seen before.   

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don't even get what the debate is about Beckham.  He's only served 42/80 games of his suspension.  Even if he does sign a milb deal with us, he'll have a June 1, or June 15, or July 1, opt out date.  So he'll basically be on a long "rehab" assignment and then we'll have to see where we stand with injuries, depth, and the performance of Ruiz, Wilkerson, and Urena.  

The better question that should be asked is if we're willing to sign a PED user, why aren't we willing to sign Addison Russell?  I'm not advocating for either one, but I also don't think Russell will be black balled forever.  We're actually the perfect team to sign Russell.  What are the 1,112 fans in the stands going to boo him?

I'm thinking the multiple sources on this are Beckham and his agent. 

6 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Just because Beckham can play all those positions doesn't mean he should be. The only reason any team would sign him at this point in his career is if they were actively trying to lose. Maybe I need to rethink my position...

53 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah anyone can play a lot of positions badly.  You could put Chris Davis at Shortstop if you wanted for example.   And Beckham is even worse at Third than at Shortstop.  His high strike out rate and his low OBP make him very un-fun player to watch.  Add that to his upcoming suspension and he might be an even worse hitter if he stops taking PEDs.  

I don't see the need to bring Beckham even on a minor league deal.  It is like rubbing salt into our wounds.  If you are going to get someone awful at least have someone who we haven't seen before.   

I only want him back if they agree to bring Tillman back too. Let's lock up that #1 pick baby!

14 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Just because Beckham can play all those positions doesn't mean he should be. The only reason any team would sign him at this point in his career is if they were actively trying to lose. Maybe I need to rethink my position...

Beckham has had a positive WAR every year for the the last four.    He’s no great player and I freely admit his flaws, but he’s far from the worst player around.   I don’t know why he draws such a disproportionate amount of ire.   Fine with me if they sign him to a MiL deal so long as it’s cheap.    

• Upvote 3