TT: Early Look at Positional Battles

Tony-OH

My main dislike of Severino is he is swats at pitches outside the strike zone and never positions himself to block pitches. His 10 passed balls were tied for 4th worst in baseball. He has a strong arm but only caught 13 of 55 attempts granted a bunch of them were off the pitchers.  

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Many more innings to go.    Moreover, the second half of spring training is much more meaningful because (1) the players have largely shaken off the rust, and (2) the regulars are playing more.    The part of spring training that has passed is the least meaningful part when it comes to making any serious judgments.   

I know, but we have to go on something, that’s why I had my “stock up stock down“ post. Guys inch forward or fallback based on today, and it’s fun to talk about it. The alternative is to just sit on our hands until March 28, and where is the pleasure in that? 

Another really interesting question that it is much too premature to discuss, is who will be the first man up from the minors when the inevitable injury happens.

There is general agreement that Mountcastle comes up after His service time shenanigans, but who’s going to be the first AAA pitcher Called up? Who is the next in line as infield replacement? That will also be pretty fun to talk about.

47 minutes ago, Philip said:

I know, but we have to go on something, that’s why I had my “stock up stock down“ post. Guys inch forward or fallback based on today, and it’s fun to talk about it. The alternative is to just sit on our hands until March 28, and where is the pleasure in that? 

Fair enough.    I just don’t like to overreact to small samples.   After all, we don’t think much of it if a player goes 2 for 15 vs. 7 for 15 in four games in mid-August, in terms of what that means about his overall ability.    Yet, people cling on that during spring training, because there’s not much else to discuss, as you said.    

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fair enough.    I just don’t like to overreact to small samples.   After all, we don’t think much of it if a player goes 2 for 15 vs. 7 for 15 in four games in mid-August, in terms of what that means about his overall ability.    Yet, people cling on that during spring training, because there’s not much else to discuss, as you said.    

Spring stats, particularly early spring stats mean very little. Really only the guys that were even coming into the spring and are now competing for a spot are the ones that stats matter. Everyone in camp has a track record and Elias has been pretty clear he goes much, much off that than spring performance unless the stuff is down and somebody looks significantly different.

We'll always have that Jake "Babe Ruth" Fox spring to remember!

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Yeah. That’s why everyone except the wise folk here are screaming about how Davis has beaten his slump.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Spring stats, particularly early spring stats mean very little. Really only the guys that were even coming into the spring and are now competing for a spot are the ones that stats matter. Everyone in camp has a track record and Elias has been pretty clear he goes much, much off that than spring performance unless the stuff is down and somebody looks significantly different.

We'll always have that Jake "Babe Ruth" Fox spring to remember!

That’s true, and it’s logical, but it kind of beg the question of how much of the roster is actually already decided, and how many guys really have a genuine chance to move the needle.

I’d really like the answer to THAT question.

(cough cough) and now, back to you...

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

That’s true, and it’s logical, but it kind of beg the question of how much of the roster is actually already decided, and how many guys really have a genuine chance to move the needle.

I’d really like the answer to THAT question.

(cough cough) and now, back to you...

Every spring teams say there are battles, but I'm pretty sure Elias and his people have a pretty good idea of what 90% of their opening day roster will look like minus injuries, waiver claims, etc before spring training. Elias himself has said he puts very little emphasis on spring performances and he's right. How many guys have tore up spring training then been awful once the season starts and vice versa? Track records are the most important.

Saying that, you can always have a guy like a John Means pitch his way onto the team with a great spring by showing an improvement (changeup) over the past year. So in other words, if the guys trackman stats are the same as the year before yet he's pitching lights out, it's probably the competition/rust of hitters than any kind of sudden improvement. 

43 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Every spring teams say there are battles, but I'm pretty sure Elias and his people have a pretty good idea of what 90% of their opening day roster will look like minus injuries, waiver claims, etc before spring training. Elias himself has said he puts very little emphasis on spring performances and he's right. How many guys have tore up spring training then been awful once the season starts and vice versa? Track records are the most important.

Saying that, you can always have a guy like a John Means pitch his way onto the team with a great spring by showing an improvement (changeup) over the past year. So in other words, if the guys trackman stats are the same as the year before yet he's pitching lights out, it's probably the competition/rust of hitters than any kind of sudden improvement. 

Ok, thanks Tony...aaaannnd ONE more question....

who is this year’s John Means? Either Pitcher or position guy?

The unexpected success story who makes the team and sticks?

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Ok, thanks Tony...aaaannnd ONE more question....

who is this year’s John Means? Either Pitcher or position guy?

The unexpected success story who makes the team and sticks?

Carroll has been lights out so far, but with options, it might be hard for him to break through.