MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He was picking through a pile of corn on the cob.

As for the heat thing, well with the flu virus it does make a difference so it was a possibility.  Still might be with extreme temperatures.  Also, judging by a quick look, it hasn't been all that hot in Iran. 

The so called experts think it might be seasonal including Fauci,my guy at the hospital and this guy:

Tweet from Scott Gottlieb, MD (@ScottGottliebMD)
Scott Gottlieb, MD (@ScottGottliebMD) Tweeted:
We'll win this round, at an almost unbearable cost in treasure and in souls. But #COVID19 won't recede permanently. It'll most probably become epidemic in the southern hemisphere and return to us in September. This is a pathogen that wants to infect 40% of the world's population.

Some people think it is more the humidity then heat. The coronavirus is very contagious but not that strong in the sense you can break it apart with some hot water and soap. 

18 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The so called experts think it might be seasonal including Fauci,my guy at the hospital and this guy:

Tweet from Scott Gottlieb, MD (@ScottGottliebMD)
Scott Gottlieb, MD (@ScottGottliebMD) Tweeted:
We'll win this round, at an almost unbearable cost in treasure and in souls. But #COVID19 won't recede permanently. It'll most probably become epidemic in the southern hemisphere and return to us in September. This is a pathogen that wants to infect 40% of the world's population.

Some people think it is more the humidity then heat. The coronavirus is very contagious but not that strong in the sense you can break it apart with some hot water and soap. 

The expert from Minnesota who discussed this early said MERs which is related Covid-19 was spread in 100 degree weather in Saudia Arabia pretty easily. So maybe it is the humidity that will help.  Temperature does not seem to help.  

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

THE IHME chart has dropped the death right from around 93,000 to about 82,000. Best case scenario is now in the 30,000 range. Hope we can keep doing what we are doing to get the numbers in the 30,000 or lower range. Not great but better then the 100,000 or more predicted with no procedures in place. 

https://covid19.healthdata.org/

If we stay in lockdown through May, and the Virus dissipates in the humidity of the summer months. Whats going to stop it from infecting people once the lockdown ends? 

Florida added almost 1,000 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 since Sunday night, according to the Florida Department of Health’s Monday morning update. Florida now has 13,324 people who have tested positive for COVID-19.

The number of COVID-19 deaths in Florida grew to 236, a sharp rise from the 101 reported by by the state on April 1.

Florida like a few other states ,their curve is still trending up but not as bad as NY and NJ. Please Florida is really starting to test more.

2 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

If we stay in lockdown through May, and the Virus dissipates in the humidity of the summer months. Whats going to stop it from infecting people once the lockdown ends? 

The best case scenario is not to lift the lockdown  till we can almost test everyone. Then quarantine the positive ones and hopefully one of the five or more antivirals that are being tested works. Also most experts predict a fall return.

Just now, Going Underground said:

The best case scenario is not to lift the lockdown  till we can almost test everyone. Then quarantine the positive ones and hopefully one of the five or more antivirals that are being tested works. Also most experts predict a fall return.

I dont think testing everyone is possible by next fall. I think a vaccine or herd immunity (80% infected) is the only answer.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I dont think testing everyone is possible by next fall. I think a vaccine or herd immunity (80% infected) is the only answer.

A vaccine  probably won't be ready to fully go till winter 2021. They were going to do the herd immunity in England but got flak and went in the other direction. Really no perfect solution. 

14 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

THE IHME chart has dropped the death right from around 93,000 to about 82,000. Best case scenario is now in the 30,000 range. Hope we can keep doing what we are doing to get the numbers in the 30,000 or lower range. Not great but better then the 100,000 or more predicted with no procedures in place. 

https://covid19.healthdata.org/

Interesting.  Prior to their update, the fatalities were higher on 4/2 and 4/4, about the midpoint for 4/3 and near the high point of the range on 4/5.

• Upvote 1

On 4/3/2020 at 6:45 PM, Frobby said:

School budgets:

Baltimore County $2.17 bb

Montgomery County $2.68 bb

Prince Georges Count $1.8 mm

DC $918 mm

Howard County $972 mm

Ann Arundel $1.27 bb

That’s an annual expenditure, not a one-time expenditure on a stadium.

My point is two fold, well three, comparing sports revenues to public school budgets does not make sense.  A better comparison that could be used is private schools receiving state funding, and I would be more open to that analogy because the Orioles are a for profit organization, that receives tax breaks and public funding.  Public schools are non-profit, community services that serve millions of kids across Maryland and the United States.  The Orioles are a team of 25 guys who play 81 games in Baltimore to a crowd of 5-35,000 a day.

The second point, I think President Trump re-iterated in his call with sports commissioners that goes against atomic's argument, as I understood it, that sports will be delayed or canceled because schools are canceled.  President Trump wants sports to start to revitalize the economy, which occurs regardless of school year.  

Third, to my point about people not caring about schools and the budgets.  At a macro-analysis, sure spending of school budgets is larger than city spending on a sports team.  However, at a micro analysis, consider this: in 2020 dollars, Maryland paid $420M for Camden Yards.  It continues to pay $15M a year to the stadium...for one team, even after the Orioles pay $6M in rent.  M&T Bank I could not find value and payment without subscribing to a news source, but my assumption is it is much more to the state for one team.  The Olympics cost Rio $4.7B dollars, for an event that spanned 17 days, 34 I think with the Paralympics.  New Yankee stadium, $1.2B publicly funded money.  And this does not consider the costs spent to essentially "woo" the IOC or sports team owners. All these are still fairly significant numbers, and the city may not even get the team or event it covets.  Baltimore County School is 162 schools, 25th largest in the country for over 100,000 kids.  Oh and its a battle to get funding to even make schools not third world schools with lack of A/C and heating as one example.  So, when mayors throw around money for the opportunity to host a sporting event or team, it goes to my original that they care more about sports than schools, which I am accused of living in fantasy land.  

15 minutes ago, jarman86 said:

My point is two fold, well three, comparing sports revenues to public school budgets does not make sense.  A better comparison that could be used is private schools receiving state funding, and I would be more open to that analogy because the Orioles are a for profit organization, that receives tax breaks and public funding.  Public schools are non-profit, community services that serve millions of kids across Maryland and the United States.  The Orioles are a team of 25 guys who play 81 games in Baltimore to a crowd of 5-35,000 a day.

The second point, I think President Trump re-iterated in his call with sports commissioners that goes against atomic's argument, as I understood it, that sports will be delayed or canceled because schools are canceled.  President Trump wants sports to start to revitalize the economy, which occurs regardless of school year.  

Third, to my point about people not caring about schools and the budgets.  At a macro-analysis, sure spending of school budgets is larger than city spending on a sports team.  However, at a micro analysis, consider this: in 2020 dollars, Maryland paid $420M for Camden Yards.  It continues to pay $15M a year to the stadium...for one team, even after the Orioles pay $6M in rent.  M&T Bank I could not find value and payment without subscribing to a news source, but my assumption is it is much more to the state for one team.  The Olympics cost Rio $4.7B dollars, for an event that spanned 17 days, 34 I think with the Paralympics.  New Yankee stadium, $1.2B publicly funded money.  And this does not consider the costs spent to essentially "woo" the IOC or sports team owners. All these are still fairly significant numbers, and the city may not even get the team or event it covets.  Baltimore County School is 162 schools, 25th largest in the country for over 100,000 kids.  Oh and its a battle to get funding to even make schools not third world schools with lack of A/C and heating as one example.  So, when mayors throw around money for the opportunity to host a sporting event or team, it goes to my original that they care more about sports than schools, which I am accused of living in fantasy land.  

Trump also said the country would be open back up at Easter.  You forget that their are taxes on tickets sales.   8 percent of your ticket price for Orioles games goes to the Stadium authority.  

I wonder how old you are? You seem oblivious to anything related to facts.  Totally disregard the power of teacher's unions and their political clout.  

In addition the Orioles pay the state 25 percent of net stadium advertising revenues, 50 percent of net parking revenues, 9 percent of concessions sales and 10 percent of suite and club-level revenues.

10 minutes ago, jarman86 said:

The virus will dictate where we are with sports. If it is seasonal and goes away in the summer,then we probably have all the leagues started. If one of the six or seven antivirals work and not just anecdotally that would help also. At best all a guess . Especially if it comes back with a vengeance in the fall. Not sure how many people will attend games at the beginning either with no cure or vaccine.