MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The United States was founded by people who were unhappy with their lot in life.  Instead of trying to work things out they decided to get the heck out and completely start over.  Often going to areas with no infrastructure or government to speak of, and in many cases a population that didn't speak their language.  I think those traits will take eons to wash out if it ever does.  We may always have a higher than normal percentage of the population whose first reaction to anything is to tell the world to go (bleep) themselves.  That can be both a useful and a damaging thing.

I don't think that is exactly the case.  A lot of criminals were sent here.  Other people left because the punishment for practicing a religion besides the Church of England was death.  Plus you couldn't own land in England unless you were a noble or even hunt.   Maryland was settled mainly with persecuted Catholics.  

Until the French Revolution the common folk had no rights in Europe.   The Manga Carta was written for nobles rights not the guy on the street.  

1 hour ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

Here's a link to the reopening guidelines released by the White House. Ultimately, governors will make their own decisions for their states - but this is at least a good source of information of how things might look: https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/

Phase One would occur after 14 straight days of a downward trajectory in cases and robust testing in place. Phase One still encourages people to telework if possible and avoid groups of more than 10 people. It mentions that sporting venues can operate again, but under strict physical distancing protocols. I don't see how a pro stadium can open at this point, even to limited crowds. Weird Arizona quarantine spring training - maybe.

Tampa won't have a problem.

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

I don't think that is exactly the case.  A lot of criminals were sent here.  Other people left because the punishment for practicing a religion besides the Church of England was death.  Plus you couldn't own land in England unless you were a noble or even hunt.   Maryland was settled mainly with persecuted Catholics.  

Until the French Revolution the common folk had no rights in Europe.   The Manga Carta was written for nobles rights not the guy on the street.  

As with anything, generalizations are our minds' attempts to make sense of the world and at some level they'll break down.

On 4/17/2020 at 9:18 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

You're tremendously concerned about models not being accurate, but perfectly okay with an completely unsupportable off-the-cuff statement that most COVID-19 deaths would have happened by some other cause anyway?  I guess it's just models that don't support your previously formed conclusions that are flawed.

I don't see how people can continue with the "no worse than the flu" narrative.   When you see things like the fact that 41 NY transit workers have died of this already.   Or the number of front line health care workers who have died.

35 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I don't see how people can continue with the "no worse than the flu" narrative.   When you see things like the fact that 41 NY transit workers have died of this already.   Or the number of front line health care workers who have died.

Because no matter the topic some percentage of the population will decide that the data and the analysis and the consensus is wrong.  There were people here who aggressively, desperately wanted the Orioles to start a rebuild in mid-2014.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, SteveA said:

You do realize there are a lot of people who don’t vaccinate their children because they think it causes autism and think global warming is a hoax. 

And there are millions of people that listen to a Certain radio personality that claimed smoking doesn’t cause lung cancer and that person now has lung cancer and they still listen to him. 

Most people aren’t capable of thinking logically.

49 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Because no matter the topic some percentage of the population will decide that the data and the analysis and the consensus is wrong.  There were people here who aggressively, desperately wanted the Orioles to start a rebuild in mid-2014.

Hmm, that's an intriguing scenario. Wonder how that would have turned out, longer term (Tony, are you there?). Maybe better than what we got? (A thrilling win over Det., dashed by KC and then the debacle of 2016 WC...)

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

People will look at the numbers and make some very "logical" but inaccurate conclusions. Like, see only x number of people died, it was (is) no worse than the flu. If States didn't shut down and people didn't practice social distancing the health system would have been overwhelmed and the numbers would have dwarfed the typical "flu" numbers. Thanks to all that have done their best to keep themselves and others safe. Let's hope sports do their best too and make wise decisions, not one's just based on their pocketbooks.