Jomboy commentates on the 79 and 83 World Series

ScGO's

Not sure if you all follow Jomboy that much.  He's the guy that really helped blow open the Astros cheating scandal.  I thought these were entertaining enough.  They have been doing this for every World Series since 1972.

1983 Series -

1979 Series -

• Like 1

I watched the 83 one.  Jomboy is pretty cool, not so sure about his cohort.  But they both kinda played themselves when they didn't bother to acknowledge that Dempsey stuck around for such a long time because he was a good defender.  They were both kinda clueless, which is understandable since you're probably not too aware of Dempsey if you're not an Orioles fan.  But I kinda rolled my eyes when they deduced that he stuck around as a part time player because he was a good clubhouse guy.  That's partially true but no one sticks around that long in baseball if they're not bringing something to the field.

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I watched the 83 one.  Jomboy is pretty cool, not so sure about his cohort.  But they both kinda played themselves when they didn't bother to acknowledge that Dempsey stuck around for such a long time because he was a good defender.  They were both kinda clueless, which is understandable since you're probably not too aware of Dempsey if you're not an Orioles fan.  But I kinda rolled my eyes when they deduced that he stuck around as a part time player because he was a good clubhouse guy.  That's partially true but no one sticks around that long in baseball if they're not bringing something to the field.

Moe Berg.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He didn't play a whole lot.  But yeah, probably was around longer than he should have been.

For about 11 of his 15 years in the majors he was a third catcher, basically a bullpen catcher who'd come in the game if someone got hurt or something.  My understanding is that he was active on the roster the whole year in '30, '31, '38, and '39 when he played 20 games or less a season.  Just hanging out in the pen, telling the relievers stories about that one time he went to Japan.

In '39 he made the 2020 equivalent of $75k for playing a game in May, a game in July, 10 games in August, and one in September.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think Tekulve was top 5 ugly, he just had those rad glasses that he wore everywhere.  Manny Sanguillen was ugly.  Don Mossi might be the missing link.  Otis Nixon.  Willie McGee.  

Otis Nixon?  Don't you mean Huggy Bear?

AAYY_1_20170316745115713.jpg

huggyrevise-e1531803462639.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think Tekulve was top 5 ugly, he just had those rad glasses that he wore everywhere.  Manny Sanguillen was ugly.  Don Mossi might be the missing link.  Otis Nixon.  Willie McGee.  

Willie McGee was in close competition with Merton Hanks from the 49ers for the longest neck in sports.

145096.0.jpeg

merton-hanks-of-the-san-francisco-49ers-

• Upvote 1