Mark Reynolds Announces Retirement

fansince1988

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I really liked him.  Fun to watch and was a key contributor to the 2012 team.  I was there on 9/6/12 when he socked two homers against the Yankees.  Great times.

2012 was my PR year for most Orioles games attended in a single season. I went to at least 25 games that year, including every statue game, and two games at Fenway in September. It was a great season, especially after those 14 years we all endured. 

• Upvote 1

I remember a video clip where someone set Reynolds’ strikeouts to the music of stayin’ alive.

I remember that he was a terrible third baseman, but a quite passable first baseman. He “flopped” Like no one else. I’m sure someone is now going to post stats proving that he was the worst first baseman of all time, but I thought he was fine.

The way he was non-tendered in 2012 was extremely disrespectful. As I remember, Dan waited until 15 minutes before midnight before calling him and telling him he was being cut loose.

He’s young enough that he can do whatever he wants with the rest of his life. I hope he chooses to help others because he is in a unique position to do so.

Edited by Philip

8 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Cal Ripken Statue game.  I was there.  One of the loudest regular season games I’ve been to.

Oh yes, I miss baseball. But I also miss Chris Davis’ sweet swing, Gary Thorne’s screaming, And Andino, I forgot about him.

I hope he’s happy wherever he is.

15 hours ago, Philip said:

Oh yes, I miss baseball. But I also miss Chris Davis’ sweet swing, Gary Thorne’s screaming, And Andino, I forgot about him.

I hope he’s happy wherever he is.

I remember that game very well. But I had, and still have, no memory of Robert hitting one the HRs. 

On 4/11/2020 at 6:11 PM, Philip said:

I was very surprised that he did not even hit 300 career homeruns

When I was a kid 300 homers was a big deal.  Brooks never got there.  In '83 there'd only been 47 300-homer guys ever.   And more than 30 of them are Hall of Famers. Now we're lamenting that a guy with a 7-win journeyman career missed by two.

I almost forgot that Reynolds had three separate seasons where he played 15+ games at third base and fielded under .900.  Butch Hobson was infamous for fielding .899 in '78, I think he was hurt, and made a ton of wild throws.  Then Ryan Braun kind of repeated the feat in '07 before he got moved to the outfield.  Reynolds fielded .897 in almost 1000 innings in '11, and even worse in '12 before going to first.  Chris Davis also fielded .848 in '11...  The difference between Davis and Reynolds defense and Manny had to have been 40 or 50 runs a year.

In 1888 the Orioles had a third baseman named Billy Shindle.  In '88 a lot of players didn't wear gloves, and the ones that did bore more resemblance to a snow glove than a modern baseball glove.  The fields were groomed to the standard of your local t-ball field, and there were a lot of bunts.  Shindle fielded .922 in 135 games.  I want to see Mark Reynolds play third base without a glove.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Plenty of teams limp into the playoffs and then make a deep run. This team has enough talent to do it, I just want to see Mayo and Kjerstad finally given a shot to play every day (put Kjerstad in RF, Santander at 1B, Mayo the full time DH), and move away from struggling/low ceiling vets like O'Hearn, Eloy, Rivera, and Slater.  Mayo and Kjerstad playing regularly and Westburg making it back for the playoffs could transform the lineup. I think Hyde is a terrible manager who can't write out a good lineup to save his life, but this offense has been so bad for so long that I think even he's capable of making those changes.  If Webb, Coloumbe, and Grayson can all make it back healthy, they'll also make a difference. 
    • Another Hyde thread 🙄
    • How am I scapegoating him? He hasn't played well for a very long time. I'm just saying give Mayo a legit shot.
    • Am looking forward to the season being over.  Yankees are taking full advantage of the O’s ineptitude - as they should.   Team is so inept offensively and does not seem fixable.  Bad combo of too many players still trying to figure things out. Have no idea what to expect over the next 2 weeks,  but currently they are unwatchable and an overall joyless bunch.   Need new dugout leadership that can help this team unlock its potential,  Hyde is no longer the answer and I think he knows it. 
    • Mayo actually had a decent at bat in a game where there were so many poor at bats. He fouled off a lot of good pitches , worked a count to 3-2 and was called out on a borderline strike. Yeah, you can say he's lost,, but I think he's finding his confidence up there. He had three pretty good at bats the last time he started and made a very tough play at third base that was almost an out, missed the runner by a whisker. I think the kid deserves to play and even if he fails, he cant be much worse that what we are putting out there. Eloy Jimenez and Emmanuel Rivera are NOT in our future plans and not doing much either...you may as well let the kid play and maybe he'll run into a pitch and drill it somewhere.I think the more at bats you give him, the likelier good things will happen. It sure isnt helping us to see him on the bench with Nick Maton.
    • I expect Kjerstadt to be recalled tomorrow which will help with the depth even if it just to pinch hit.  Tonight we sent Slater up to pinch hit for O’Hearn then they countered with a pitching change but we didn’t have another left handed pinch hitter to counter them.  Hyde did a great job using his depth and pinch hitting early in the year but he had actual hitters on the bench.  He could pinch hit Urias, Kjerstadt, Hayes, O’Hearn, Stowers, Norby in certain situations.  Now his choices are Soto, Maton, McCann, Mayo, Jimenez  or Slater.  Injuries and trades have not only hurt the starting lineup but the depth of the bench.   I am pretty sure if you told Elias that he would lose Westburg, Mountcastle, Mateo, Kjerstadt, and Urias along with Holliday and Mayo completely falling flat he holds on to Hayes, Norby and Stowers.  How bad is our injury luck been this year?  If Westburg gets hit and breaks his hand two days earlier I believe Norby is still on the team but he broke it two days after the deadline.  
  • Popular Contributors