Double A manager on Tillman

murrayfan420

What the hell, dude? I didn't say Roch isn't a journalist. Blogging is NOT journalism.

Not ALL blogs are journalism. Most aren't. They can be though, as Roch's is or Buster Olney or Peter Gammons. Or Political/Financial blogs who research and present stories through their medium, blogging.

Main Entry: jour·nal·ism

Pronunciation: \ˈjər-nə-ˌli-zəm\

Function: noun

Date: 1828

1 a: the collection and editing of news for presentation through the media b: the public press c: an academic study concerned with the collection and editing of news or the management of a news medium

2 a: writing designed for publication in a newspaper or magazine b: writing characterized by a direct presentation of facts or description of events without an attempt at interpretation c: writing designed to appeal to current popular taste or public interest

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not ALL blogs are journalism. Most aren't. They can be though, as Roch's is or Buster Olney or Peter Gammons. Or Political/Financial blogs who research and present stories through their medium, blogging.

Main Entry: jour·nal·ism

Pronunciation: \ˈjər-nə-ˌli-zəm\

Function: noun

Date: 1828

1 a: the collection and editing of news for presentation through the media b: the public press c: an academic study concerned with the collection and editing of news or the management of a news medium

2 a: writing designed for publication in a newspaper or magazine b: writing characterized by a direct presentation of facts or description of events without an attempt at interpretation c: writing designed to appeal to current popular taste or public interest

You are holding his blog up to a much higher standard than what is reasonable for any sports blog, imo. I've never heard anyone but you say that blogging is equal to journalism.

Roch has a blog. However, he gets his information because he's a journalist. Therefore, he has a responsibility to his sources/interviewees to report accurately what is said.

The standards aren't the same - blogging is less formal, and more forgiving of off-the-cuff, unresearched opinion.

But the fact that the standards are not the same does not mean there's not crossover. And a journalist has a responsibility - no matter the medium - to his sources to report what they say accurately, no matter what the outlet.

Buster Olney couldn't get away with saying "Oscar Minaya believes Billy Wagner is finished" if Minaya says "it's alway harder for older pitchers to come back."

The main reason for this is because it's unnecessary: all Roch (or Olney in my hypothetical) would have to say is that "it appears from what X says" that "Y is the case." No need to posit it as "X thinks Y".

You guys are totally missing my point - which was a very small point, btw. I wasn't saying - in any way - that Roch was not telling what he thought was the truth. What I was saying is that he might have inferred from what Komminsk said that Komminsk considered him a 3rd starter. Komminsk might not even use that type of lingo. He might use the lingo that Tony prefers - upper rotation, middle, low. And from what he thought Komminsk was implying, Roch made his comment. And you guys twisted my comments to imply that there was an integrity issue - when that's not at all what I said.

Now, do you see what I mean about misunderstanding? :) Right?

You guys are totally missing my point - which was a very small point, btw. I wasn't saying - in any way - that Roch was not telling what he thought was the truth. What I was saying is that he might have inferred from what Komminsk said that Komminsk considered him a 3rd starter. Komminsk might not even use that type of lingo. He might use the lingo that Tony prefers - upper rotation, middle, low. And from what he thought Komminsk was implying, Roch made his comment. And you guys twisted my comments to imply that there was an integrity issue - when that's not at all what I said.

No. Not right. (I should have: ;) ). I'm not talking about integrity at all, though. I'm talking about what the role of a journalist is. My point is that you can't say "X thinks Y" if he doesn't say he "thinks Y." If Roch is translating Komminsk's words into a framework he prefers, he needs to acknowledge that it isn't Komminsk's opinion but rather Roch's opinion/interpretation of Kommisk's opinion.

How am I holding his blog to a higher standard of journalism? All I said was the way he constructed the sentence implied that's what the manager said to him, even though it didn't have "" marks around it. Which is done all the time in blogs, newspapers and on TV.

I don't even know why I'm spending my time arguing the definition of journalism since I have no personal connection to it in any way. I just didn't appreciate when you said, "And I wouldn't call what anyone puts on a blog - journalism." IMO, you quickly dismissed a growing medium for information to be passed along. Someone like Buster Olney and Roch are journalists who happen to report most of their stories via a blog rather than a newspaper. It doesn’t change the fact that they are journalists.

MOST blogs are just people like me and you who have posts like “Matt Wieters needs to be starting catcher TODAY, RAMON IS LAZY!!!”, which offers no journalistic insight. A writer who talks to players, front office types and reports on his inside information is still a journalist if that person reports it in a blog. Whether you realize this fact or not, you’ll have to get used to it because newspapers are dying and media like blogs are flourishing.

How am I holding his blog to a higher standard of journalism? All I said was the way he constructed the sentence implied that's what the manager said to him, even though it didn't have "" marks around it. Which is done all the time in blogs, newspapers and on TV.

I don't even know why I'm spending my time arguing the definition of journalism since I have no personal connection to it in any way. I just didn't appreciate when you said, "And I wouldn't call what anyone puts on a blog - journalism." IMO, you quickly dismissed a growing medium for information to be passed along. Someone like Buster Olney and Roch are journalists who happen to report most of their stories via a blog rather than a newspaper. It doesn’t change the fact that they are journalists.

MOST blogs are just people like me and you who have posts like “Matt Wieters needs to be starting catcher TODAY, RAMON IS LAZY!!!”, which offers no journalistic insight. A writer who talks to players, front office types and reports on his inside information is still a journalist if that person reports it in a blog. Whether you realize this fact or not, you’ll have to get used to it because newspapers are dying and media like blogs are flourishing.

Lol, that doesn't make blogs journalism. They are held to a much lower standard than articles in major newspapers. And I still would most definitely not call blogs - journalism. There's a lower standard for blogs.

No. Not right. (I should have: ;) ). I'm not talking about integrity at all, though. I'm talking about what the role of a journalist is. My point is that you can't say "X thinks Y" if he doesn't say he "thinks Y." If Roch is translating Komminsk's words into a framework he prefers, he needs to acknowledge that it isn't Komminsk's opinion but rather Roch's opinion/interpretation of Kommisk's opinion.

And why would he need to do that? Integrity?

So what about Brandon Erbe? He's got a mid 90's FB, plus his secondary pitches are coming around. Could he be projected as a guy better than a #3?

Here's an article from Inside The Warehouse:

Brandon Erbe: In Control

By Dave Vatz

Contributor

Posted Aug 22, 2008

Brandon Erbe made a good first impression in his full season debut in 2006 leading to lofty expectations in what turned out to be a disappointing 2007. This year, Erbe is reaching those expectations, putting 2007 behind him. Inside, find out what has contributed to Erbe's turnaround.

Brandon Erbe, Baltimore’s 3rd Round pick in the 2005 First-Year Player Draft, had a disappointing 2007 despite the high expectations a solid full season debut in 2006 created. In his second year with Frederick, the 20-year-old has worked on his complimentary pitches and sharpened his mechanics, greatly improving from last season. In one year’s time, he has dropped his ERA from 6.26 in 2007 to 4.71 this season.

Thursday night, Erbe threw six shutout innings, notching six strikeouts in a 2-1 extra innings victory over the Lynchburg Hillcats. Though 97 pitches were thrown, only five runners reached base, two on walks, the fifth consecutive start Erbe has walked three or fewer batters.

Already armed with a powerful mid-90s fastball, a lot of the year has been spent working on refining Erbe’s other pitches, including his changeup, curveball, and slider. The Carolina League has solid fastball-hitting squads, giving Erbe the chance to work on the latter pitches.

“I’m gonna need my changeup in the future, and you really don’t get better with it unless you throw it, that’s what I did tonight,” Erbe said about tonight’s performance, “By the end of the game they were looking for changeups, looking for curveballs, so I threw a few sliders.”

Erbe said that today’s win “gives me confidence in my other pitches like my changeup and my slider, so I know I can throw them when I need to.”

Frederick pitching coach Blaine Beatty, who has worked with Erbe his entire time with the Keys, has been helping Erbe change his delivery while improving his pitches, and was very happy about Erbe’s performance Thursday night.

“Tonight when he went into the game, we wanted to establish the fact that this is a good fastball-hitting team, and he had to use all of his pitches, especially his changeup,” Beatty explained “That changeup was a key pitch tonight.”

In addition to improving command, a stress this season has been working on the slider and change. One stat that generally indicates an improved change is the batting average against for left-handed batters against right-handed pitchers, and vice versa. Erbe has limited lefties to a .236 average, more than 50 points lower than last year.

Though the ERA may seem high, Erbe has established solid control during the season. He leads the Keys with 142 strikeouts to only 47 walks in 143.2 IP, reducing his walks per nine innings to the lowest of his career, 3.06 BB/9 IP.

Coach Beatty isn’t worried about the high pitch-count. Erbe does have two complete games, the only ones Frederick has this season.

“That might be his M.O. for a while until he really settles in gets it doing with his new delivery.”

Though Erbe is improving, he knows he has work to do, but tonight was a good sign for the future.

“Tonight is what I kind of approach, I have to throw my off-speed stuff for a strike and be consistent around the zone. If I can keep guys off my fastball and guessing a little bit, that’s when success is going to come.”

There is no word on whether or not Erbe will pitch in the fall or winter for the Orioles. But for now, he’s focused on the remainder of the season, as the Keys are currently 4 games out of a playoff spot with 9 games remaining

And why would he need to do that? Integrity?

I don't think it's an issue of "integrity." I think it's an issue of standards. Requiring "accuracy" in reporting isn't the same as requiring "integrity." Calling performance sub-par isn't the same as, say, calling out someone's work ethic.

If a journalist's understanding and implementation of the basics of how to quote someone is policed only by "integrity" then we're in trouble.

Professional standards are exogenous, however.

I don't think it's an issue of "integrity." I think it's an issue of standards. Requiring "accuracy" in reporting isn't the same as requiring "integrity." Calling performance sub-par isn't the same as, say, calling out someone's work ethic.

If a journalist's understanding and implementation of the basics of how to quote someone is policed only by "integrity" then we're in trouble.

Professional standards are exogenous, however.

Oy. How would you prefer bloggers - not journalists - to be "policed"?

Oy. How would you prefer bloggers - not journalists - to be "policed"?

Olney and Roch are journalists. The fact that one of their outlets is a blog is irrelevant.

I'm not the one being either dense or confused here. And I can't figure out why you think it's such a big deal that this occurred on a blog and not, say, the radio, or a column, or...

It's an artificial distinction when you're talking about paid media types.

Olney and Roch are journalists. The fact that one of their outlets is a blog is irrelevant.

Roch's is advertised as a blog, so people take it as a blog - so they are not expecting "journalism". If it looks like a duck, it's usually a duck.

Roch's is advertised as a blog, so people take it as a blog - so they are not expecting "journalism". If it looks like a duck, it's usually a duck.

Right. But that's not what we're talking about. By your definition, if Roch were to "quack" every once in a while, he'd be a duck and only a duck. It's simply not the case.

Right. But that's not what we're talking about. By your definition, if Roch were to "quack" every once in a while, he'd be a duck and only a duck. It's simply not the case.

I think this is the point in the conversation where we agree to disagree - partly because... I have no clue what you're talking about anymore. It's been a long day, and I'm not sure that was the best use of our time.

Archived