Double A manager on Tillman

murrayfan420

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nobody said that, nobody said Roch isn't a journalist, and no writer has been discredited in any way.

That's not really what I meant, sorry it came off like that. I wasn't trying to jump down your throat, don't worry, I got what you were trying to say. I'm just saying that because he has a blog and that is where is does the meat and potatoes of his reporting that people tend to miss that this is becoming an acceptable form of journalistic reporting. Look at all the times someone's blog has been mentioned as a source in trade rumor season, or when talking about the draft and prospects. I think a good 30% of the stuff Tim comes up with on MLBTR are out of blogs, between the local area guys having theirs (Roch and the guy from SEA come to mind), and Olney and Gammons. I don't think it's fair to say that blogging is any less journalism than them writing one of their regular columns. It's just faster and less formal, but then again so is instant messaging and thousands of companies are making that not only an acceptable form of communication, but the preferred.

Generally there aren't standards for blogs. It's usually a guy with a wordpress account spouting off his own opinions about whatever it is he's talking about.

In the case of Roch, Gammons, Schmuck, etc... they are all blogs, but their standards are held by MASN, The Sun, etc. If Roch wasn't posting anything of good integrity, he wouldn't be blogging for anyone but himself at this point, and he certainly wouldn't be allowed to talk to players.

So say what you want about blogs, but as media outlets continue to embrace them as another way to get information out to the public, standards will be set by the owners and journalists will have to abide by them. I think Roch does a great job, and he is a great journalist, and I'm sure he makes mistakes from time to time... no one is perfect.

Even Roy Halladay, who is probably the king of going deep into games, has gone 7+ only 21 out of 29 starts (72%). So 80% is clearly too high a threshold.

Perhaps Tony meant that % to apply to minor league performance? I'm not sure that helps, though. Bergesen tied for the lead in the Eastern League this year with 3 complete games. This is just a guess, but 7+ IP starts might be even rarer in the minors than in the majors.

2008 is a new time, and there are new outlets for media. Newspapers are shifting more towards the internet than print, blogs are being published for journalists because people respect and value their opinions and want to hear more, and message boards are getting headlines when it comes to debate and research.

Calling someone a "blogger" is kind of discrediting them in the media area, a "blogger" is someone that writes to entertain or amuse, themselves or others. A Journalist...well we all know what those are. The two are not mutually exclusive you know. A journalist can have a blog, and throw some inside info around, or some extra tidbits here and there, or just do some journalistic reporting through it. Just because it is a blog, doesn't mean that it has to be stereotyped into what we think a blog has to be. Just look at this site, it is a message board, a place to toss around opinions with other like minded people, but that doesn't mean we don't have some journalists here. Guys like Tony, BowieMike, Avencil, Scottie, they get press passes, they write great pieces on players, reports on games, inside info and conversations with players. Just because they also post on here and chime in with their opinions doesn't make them less of a journalist, so why does Roch have to be less of one because he has a blog?

Absolutely. It's a change in format really, that's all. It's ashamed that some people get confused and believe that a well respected journalist is somehow the equivalent to your every day guy on blogspot because they write and report in the "blog" format.

And like Roch says, he even wears pants SOME of the time when he writes his entries so right there you have to put him a notch up. :D

Even Roy Halladay, who is probably the king of going deep into games, has gone 7+ only 21 out of 29 starts (72%). So 80% is clearly too high a threshold.

OK, 70% of the time. Happy? :P

Clearly 8% is so very wrong. :D

Seriously though, I don't think it's wrong to expect your top of the rotation starter to pitch into the 7th inning (perhaps that's where we're coming off track) 70-80% of the time.

Seriously though, I don't think it's wrong to expect your top of the rotation starter to pitch into the 7th inning (perhaps that's where we're coming off track) 70-80% of the time.

I think that's fair.

Tony - what are the chances that Tillman picks up a tick or two MPH-wise on his FB?

And we've heard word from Stotle (and others) that his command in the zone isn't particular great (and his command in general only marginally adequate). Did this improve over the course of the year?

Absolutely. It's a change in format really, that's all. It's ashamed that some people get confused and believe that a well respected journalist is somehow the equivalent to your every day guy on blogspot because they write and report in the "blog" format.

Tony,

I recently started my Graduate Assistantship at Kent University in the writing program. Not only do they accept blogging as a valid assignment to assign to first year writing students, they vehemently suggest it.

You are dead on about it just being a different format/type of literacy. Those that downplay it are just clinging to old standards.

Elliot

That sounds about right to me.

I think that's fair.

Tony - what are the chances that Tillman picks up a tick or two MPH-wise on his FB?

And we've heard word from Stotle (and others) that his command in the zone isn't particular great (and his command in general only marginally adequate). Did this improve over the course of the year?

I could certainly see that. The thing about Tillman is he seems to have 94 in him when he wants it, but pitches at lower velocity for control. As he improves his fastball command and as he physically matures, I could see Tillman picking up a few MPHs and pitching at 93-94.

He's certainly an impressive pitcher to watch when he's on.

I could certainly see that. The thing about Tillman is he seems to have 94 in him when he wants it, but pitches at lower velocity for control. As he improves his fastball command and as he physically matures, I could see Tillman picking up a few MPHs and pitching at 93-94.

He's certainly an impressive pitcher to watch when he's on.

Wasn't that what Tillman was aiming for? I thought he backed off on his FB at bit to gain more control.

He wanted to get more batted outs, as opposed to a whole lot of strikeouts, to lessen the amount of pitches he throws per inning/per game.

I guess if he wanted to, he can rear back, let it fly, and pile up the K's.

Archived