Kjerstad comes in at #99 on BA Top 100

Sir_Loin

O's fans are gonna grow to love Kjerstad.  He's a high character kid with a high ceiling as a baseball player.  As an Arkansan and of course a big Razorback fan, I have watched him play many times in college.  He has that "it" factor that is so rare. BTW, he is much more solid defensively than some are giving him credit for.  Give this kid a chance please before passing judgement.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, if BA’s assessment is right that Martin is the no. 16 prospect in the minors,  I don’t think passing him over to save money for later rounds was a good move.   

Fangraphs has Martin at no. 52.    The move becomes much more defensible if that’s your assessment.    

His 99 ranking and Martin's 16 rankings are completely based on their draft ratings. There is no way BA admits to any suggestion that they were wrong. They will continue to rank Martin higher unless he (Martin) is a bust. That's always been their standard operating procedure.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

His 99 ranking and Martin's 16 rankings are completely based on their draft ratings. There is no way BA admits to any suggestion that they were wrong. They will continue to rank Martin higher unless he (Martin) is a bust. That's always been their standard operating procedure.

What else would you use to rank them?  Draft order?

Are you suggesting they bump up Kjerstad simply because of where the O's picked him?

11 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

Why not?

I guess we want to be like the college football rating systems, where a guy will be rates a 3* player but then he gets an offer from one of the big name programs and they change him to a 4* on that basis.  And then everyone says look at how many  4* players the big name program gets!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MCO'sFan said:

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Are you suggesting they bump up Kjerstad simply because of where the O's picked him?

Given that they haven’t played a professional game yet, there’s no reason for BA to change their pre-draft opinion as to the order of the draft prospects.    The only new information here is how high Martin ranks compared to players who’ve already spent time in the minors.   

I don’t put particular weight on BA compared to other sources.    But obviously they are extremely high on Martin.    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Something I noticed is that Kjerstad is the highest rated switch-hitting prospect in the draft, and the only one that made the Fangraphs' numbers ranking / has an AV of 50 or better.

Adley Rutschman?  Switch hitter.

Imagine if those two pan out, having them back-to-back in the lineup.

Ken Singleton, Eddie Murray? For some reason thought Kjerstad was lefty swinger.

Edited by Ridgway22
clarity

13 minutes ago, Ridgway22 said:

Ken Singleton, Eddie Murray? For some reason thought Kjerstad was lefty swinger.

Fangraphs made a mistake with that, as Kjerstad is not a switch hitter.  He’s a LH hitter.  I don’t think their high ranking of him is based on him being a switch hitter, because he’s not.  I think it was just a typo.

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I guess I am suggesting a few things. First, BA is extremely slow to admit that the had a prospect/draftee rated too high or too low. Second, I am suggesting that it is a farce to have Martin ranked 16th when three teams passed on him after Torkelson was taken (not just the O's). Signability has not been an issue with Martin so, it is safe to say that there seems to be at least somewhat of a consensus that he was not the second best prospect in the draft. But mostly, I really dislike BA's self-bias' it rivals only ESPN. BA shoves prospects down our throats until they are complete busts. They are slow (if ever) to recognize they were wrong. ESPN hypes whatever they are broadcasting to the point where I stopped watching it several years ago. 

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Given that they haven’t played a professional game yet, there’s no reason for BA to change their pre-draft opinion as to the order of the draft prospects.    The only new information here is how high Martin ranks compared to players who’ve already spent time in the minors.   

I don’t put particular weight on BA compared to other sources.    But obviously they are extremely high on Martin.    

I couldn't agree more. You said much more succinctly that I did. I think they are stubbornly high on Martin. It made them look somewhat bad when three teams passed him over after Torkelson was taken. 

• Thanks 1