Official Rules Announcement

SteveA

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

MLB officially announces the rules changes for 2020:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/06/mlb-rule-changes-2020-health-safety-protocols.html

Summary:

-- DH In the National League

-- Extra inning rule as we have discussed.  The runner is the guy in the batting order directly preceding the guy leading off the inning, with the exception that if the guy preceding is a pitcher, it is the guy before him.  So if the #5 spot in the order is due to lead off the 10th, the player in the #4 spot is the designated runner, unless that guy is a pitcher, then it is the #3.  For runs allowed and earned runs allowed and decision calculation, the designated runner is treated as if he had just reached on an error.   So if he scores it is a run charged to whichever pitcher starts the extra inning, but not an earned run, and the pitcher gets the loss if that guy scores the winning run.

-- Three batter rule (pitcher entering game must face 3 batters or the end of the inning, whichever comes first, with an exception for injury)

-- They are NOT implementing the planned rule that only allowed a position player to pitch in certain situations (6+ run game, extra innings).   A position player can pitch any time.

-- Players who leave their position to argue with an umpire or participate in a fight, and get within 6 feet of opposing players or umpires, are subject to ejection and discipline that can include fines and suspensions)

-- No spitting, to include saliva, peanut shells, tobacco, or sunflower seeds.   Chewing gum is allowed.

-- Pitcher may carry a small wet rag in their pocket to moisten the ball in lieu of licking their fingers (the "Chaz Roe Rule")

-- No pregame exhcange of lineup cards

-- Expanded dugout and bullpen space

-- Players should practice social distancing when possible

-- Up to 3 exhibition games per team can be scheduled before the team.  Preferably between teams in geographic proximity, or by a team going early to its opening day road opponent and playing that opponent

-- 30 man roster for 2 weeks, then 28 man roster for 2 weeks, then 26.   No September roster expansion

-- Previously approved rules on the maximum number of pitchers allowed on the roster DO NOT apply

-- Once the roster is down to 26th, a 27th player can come up just for a doubleheader based on the same rule that allowed a 26th player in previous seasons.

-- A team can take up to 3 players from their Taxi Squad on any road trip, to have them close in case they need to make a roster move.   If a team does use this rule, at least one of the players has to be a catcher.   The players return to the taxi squad training location after the road trip.

-- August 31 trade deadline

-- September 15 deadline for a player to be on your roster so he can appear in the postseason

-- Just one 10 day regular injured list, rather than the "10 for pitchers, 15 for position players" that had been scheduled.  CORRECTION:  I had that backwards, it was to be 15 for pitchers, 10 for position players.   But the main point is, the rule is NOT going into affect this year as previously planned.

-- The 60 day IL is reduced to a 45 day IL.

-- There will be a Covid-19 injured list that can be any duration.   To be placed on it, a player can either have a positive C-19 test, confirmed exposure to C-19, or be exhibiting C-19 symptoms and go on the list while being assessed or awaiting test results.

How could the runner be the pitcher if they are using the DH?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

-- Extra inning rule as we have discussed.  The runner is the guy in the batting order directly preceding the guy leading off the inning, with the exception that if the guy preceding is a pitcher, it is the guy before him.

Forgive me if I'm being extremely dense; why would a batter in the lineup ever be a pitcher?

1 minute ago, makoman said:

Teams lose the DH from time to time. Like if the DH moves to the field. I assume that can still happen. 

Wasn’t Buck against Wieters DHing for this reason, or am I misremembering?

Your probably right ....Also there are a few National league pitchers who can actually hit.

I think I remember hearing that there is a rule that any time a ball is touched by more than two players, it must be thrown out of play for safety reasons.

Of course, if anybody brings the coronavirus into the ballpark, it's going to be there all day.  It's not going to wait for the umpire to yell "Play ball" before it's ready to infect someone.

I'm wondering how this rule will affect pregame batting practice.

I used to go to games at Memorial Stadium early to watch batting practice.  The batting practice pitcher had a supply of baseballs in a grocery cart next to the mound.  He would get a ball out of the cart, throw a pitch, and the batter would hit it.

Guys would hit the ball all over the field.  The balls would be retrieved and thrown in to an area behind second base, where someone would catch them and put them in a basket.  Then he would periodically take the basket to the center of the diamond and dump them into the grocery cart, so the batting practice pitcher wouldn't run out of baseballs.  The same balls got used over and over again, and got handled by different guys all over the field.

Is a batting practice pitcher in 2020 going to have to use a new ball for every pitch?

5 hours ago, WillyM said:

I think I remember hearing that there is a rule that any time a ball is touched by more than two players, it must be thrown out of play for safety reasons.

Of course, if anybody brings the coronavirus into the ballpark, it's going to be there all day.  It's not going to wait for the umpire to yell "Play ball" before it's ready to infect someone.

I used to go to games at Memorial Stadium early to watch batting practice.  The batting practice pitcher had a supply of baseballs in a grocery cart next to the mound.  He would get a ball out of the cart, throw a pitch, and the batter would hit it.

Guys would hit the ball all over the field.  The balls would be retrieved and thrown in to an area behind second base, where someone would catch them and put them in a basket.  Then he would periodically take the basket to the center of the diamond and dump them into the grocery cart, so the batting practice pitcher wouldn't run out of baseballs.  The same balls got used over and over again, and got handled by different guys all over the field.

Is a batting practice pitcher in 2020 going to have to use a new ball for every pitch?

The poor owners! More losses on the season. OH WOE IS ME!

:rolleyes:

14 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Your probably right ....Also there are a few National league pitchers who can actually hit.

They can really hit... for pitchers.  The DH is always optional.  Every AL team has always had the choice to not use the DH whenever they want.

Edit: Since 2010 the highest OPS+ by any pitcher (min 100 PAs) is 85, by Michael Lorenzen.  Zach Greinke, often held up as a great hitting pitcher, has an OPS+ 11 points lower than Ryan Flaherty.  The top 10 has guys with sub-50 OPS+es, in the below-Richie Martin range.

13 hours ago, WillyM said:

Dunk them in bleach solution and you're good.