Official Rules Announcement

SteveA

MLB officially announces the rules changes for 2020:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/06/mlb-rule-changes-2020-health-safety-protocols.html

Summary:

-- DH In the National League

-- Extra inning rule as we have discussed.  The runner is the guy in the batting order directly preceding the guy leading off the inning, with the exception that if the guy preceding is a pitcher, it is the guy before him.  So if the #5 spot in the order is due to lead off the 10th, the player in the #4 spot is the designated runner, unless that guy is a pitcher, then it is the #3.  For runs allowed and earned runs allowed and decision calculation, the designated runner is treated as if he had just reached on an error.   So if he scores it is a run charged to whichever pitcher starts the extra inning, but not an earned run, and the pitcher gets the loss if that guy scores the winning run.

-- Three batter rule (pitcher entering game must face 3 batters or the end of the inning, whichever comes first, with an exception for injury)

-- They are NOT implementing the planned rule that only allowed a position player to pitch in certain situations (6+ run game, extra innings).   A position player can pitch any time.

-- Players who leave their position to argue with an umpire or participate in a fight, and get within 6 feet of opposing players or umpires, are subject to ejection and discipline that can include fines and suspensions)

-- No spitting, to include saliva, peanut shells, tobacco, or sunflower seeds.   Chewing gum is allowed.

-- Pitcher may carry a small wet rag in their pocket to moisten the ball in lieu of licking their fingers (the "Chaz Roe Rule")

-- No pregame exhcange of lineup cards

-- Expanded dugout and bullpen space

-- Players should practice social distancing when possible

-- Up to 3 exhibition games per team can be scheduled before the team.  Preferably between teams in geographic proximity, or by a team going early to its opening day road opponent and playing that opponent

-- 30 man roster for 2 weeks, then 28 man roster for 2 weeks, then 26.   No September roster expansion

-- Previously approved rules on the maximum number of pitchers allowed on the roster DO NOT apply

-- Once the roster is down to 26th, a 27th player can come up just for a doubleheader based on the same rule that allowed a 26th player in previous seasons.

-- A team can take up to 3 players from their Taxi Squad on any road trip, to have them close in case they need to make a roster move.   If a team does use this rule, at least one of the players has to be a catcher.   The players return to the taxi squad training location after the road trip.

-- August 31 trade deadline

-- September 15 deadline for a player to be on your roster so he can appear in the postseason

-- Just one 10 day regular injured list, rather than the "10 for pitchers, 15 for position players" that had been scheduled.  CORRECTION:  I had that backwards, it was to be 15 for pitchers, 10 for position players.   But the main point is, the rule is NOT going into affect this year as previously planned.

-- The 60 day IL is reduced to a 45 day IL.

-- There will be a Covid-19 injured list that can be any duration.   To be placed on it, a player can either have a positive C-19 test, confirmed exposure to C-19, or be exhibiting C-19 symptoms and go on the list while being assessed or awaiting test results.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

MLB officially announces the rules changes for 2020:

-- There will be a Covid-19 injured list that can be any duration.   To be placed on it, a player can either have a positive C-19 test, confirmed exposure to C-19, or be exhibiting C-19 symptoms and go on the list while being assessed or awaiting test results.

Not trying to make light of COVID.

But, I can see somebody using this to circumvent the regular DL list. There are so many regular allergy/sinuses/cold symptoms that mirror COVID symptom. 

A sneezing fit can be used to put somebody on the DL for say 3 days, as is any duration, and then you say, well medical personnel have reevaluated the player and it was a false alarm.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

But, I can see somebody using this to circumvent the regular DL list. There are so many regular allergy/sinuses/cold symptoms that mirror COVID symptom. 

A sneezing fit can be used to put somebody on the DL for say 3 days, as is any duration, and then you say, well medical personnel have reevaluated the player and it was a false alarm.

I think you will find the response to be along the lines of:  

You put player X on the DL out of an abundance of caution for everyone.   We insist you keep player X on the DL through the duration of proper quarantine procedure for the same reason.  We know there will be false positives sometimes, but that's why we have 60 players available..

• Thanks 1

Just now, foxfield said:

I think you will find the response to be along the lines of:  

You put player X on the DL out of an abundance of caution for everyone.   We insist you keep player X on the DL through the duration of proper quarantine procedure for the same reason.  We know there will be false positives sometimes, but that's why we have 60 players available..

Right, you could probably get away with putting a guy with symptoms on the C-19 IL and then taking him off as soon as his test comes back negative.  So you could do that with a guy who has "the sniffles" as Rick says.   I imagine a doctor would have to examine him and administer the test and attest to the fact that he has legitimate symptoms.   Could a team doctor lie about something like that and affix his signature to it, just to get a 3 day replacement for a guy with nothing but a cold or allergy?   I suppose, but it's probably unlikely.   If Bill Belichick was an MLB manager, then I would be more concerned about something like that happening.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

To say... sit a gassed pitcher and bring in a fresh one for a couple days? :D

Just now, backwardsk said:

Do players still get paid if they are on the COVID 19 list?  I know that in the NFL proposal, they would not.

I would expect so, must like they get paid while on the IL.   Trey Mancini will get his full salary this year.

Now I don't know about players like Ryan Zimmerman who are withdrawing from the entire season due to Covid-19 concerns.   They probably don't get paid.

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I would expect so, must like they get paid while on the IL.   Trey Mancini will get his full salary this year.

Now I don't know about players like Ryan Zimmerman who are withdrawing from the entire season due to Covid-19 concerns.   They probably don't get paid.

Will he?  Full salary from point of season beginning?  Or as if season never missed a beat?

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I read something about Leake giving up his salary.  Now, I don’t know about their advance.

I bring it up because I know that the NFL proposal has a separate list than the IR. On IR they get paid.  The Covid list gets treated like a non-football related injury list.

Now, I know in baseball, you still get paid if you burn yourself on a tanning bed.  So my assumption, like you, is that they will get paid.

Just now, backwardsk said:

I read something about Leake giving up his salary.  Now, I don’t know about their advance.

I bring it up because I know that the NFL proposal has a separate list than the IR. On IR they get paid.  The Covid list gets treated like a non-football related injury list.

Now, I know in baseball, you still get paid if you burn yourself on a tanning bed.  So my assumption, like you, is that they will get paid.

Leake is a whole different thing.

This was about players who get, or possibly have, C19 going on the IL.  During the season.   

Leake, Zimmerman, and Ross are choosing not to play the season because of the potential of C19.   Totally different situation.   

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Leake is a whole different thing.

This was about players who get, or possibly have, C19 going on the IL.  During the season.   

Leake, Zimmerman, and Ross are choosing not to play the season because of the potential of C19.   Totally different situation.   

I was confirming your point about players withdrawing.  I read that they (Leake) are not getting paid.  However, they should have received a partial advance in March.  Don’t know if teams will try to claw that back.

43 minutes ago, SteveA said:

-- Players who leave their position to argue with an umpire or participate in a fight, and get within 6 feet of opposing players or umpires, are subject to ejection and discipline that can include fines and suspensions)

So.... none of this?

:disco:

WAY NSFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1