vs. D-RAYS, 8/01

OFFNY

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not convinced yet. He struggles against good velocity because he doesn't have a quick bat. He does take some pitches and can have some good at bats, but I just need to see him handle good velocity a little more consistently. 

Interesting. I’ve always thought his bat whips through the zone fairly quickly, doesn’t have the long swing I typically associate with “slow bat speed”

17 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

You might be able to score from third on a passed ball.

And if you're Severino, you might not score from second on a single.

He should have tagged up and taken third.

In hindsight definitely the right play to tag up. But I can see the thinking on going halfway. 

21 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That would have been 2 out so it doesn't really matter if it's 1st and 3rd or 1st and 2nd. They still need a base hit to score. I'm OK with him going halfway there to give them a chance to score 2 if it gets over the OF head. 

I’ve heard this before and understand to an extent the rationale but I disagree with it. If you’re on 3rd you score on a passed ball or a flubbed grounder, you don’t necessarily need a hit. Furthermore, if the outfielder drops the ball you’re on 3rd with 1 out anyway, score on a fly ball.

Just now, survivedc said:

I’ve heard this before and understand to an extent the rationale but I disagree with it. If you’re on 3rd you score on a passed ball or a flubbed grounder, you don’t necessarily need a hit. Furthermore, if the outfielder drops the ball you’re on 3rd with 1 out anyway, score on a fly ball.

You are taught on a ball like that to go about 15-20 feet from the bag. If gives you a chance to go back and tag if it is caught and still puts you in position to score if not caught by not tagging.