Braves just became first team needing a starter

bpilktree

11 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

If Cobb is finally right in regards to health I can see him being a really good option for either team. I'm not sure either team has seen enough to be convinced that he is his old self.

That's what I am saying. Even if Cobb could string together a half dozen good starts by the end of the month, is that enough to wipe out two years of inconsistency. It's not like he has ever been a dominant guy even at his peak. Even if some team is interested I doubt we get anything back besides salary dump.

8 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

That 130 innings will likely be pro-rated down to something like 50 innings for contract purposes.

You're right, I just read that incentives are being prorated too. $4.5M will be deferred regardless. 

34 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That's what I am saying. Even if Cobb could string together a half dozen good starts by the end of the month, is that enough to wipe out two years of inconsistency. It's not like he has ever been a dominant guy even at his peak. Even if some team is interested I doubt we get anything back besides salary dump.

He was dominant in 2013-2014 and pretty dam good in 2017.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Two years of inconsistency?  He made three starts last year.

He is an average starter with a reliable track record and is not owed an exorbitant amount of money.  I think the Orioles could trade him, eat a little money, and potentially get a team's top 20-30 prospect.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's the long as he's healthy part.

If he doesn't ...he doesn't

A few prospects that can help in the future is more valuable than his contribution. If you cant get that just take whatever he can give you. the saved money will just disappear. I don't believe that the resources will be put on the side for later.

2 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

Two years of inconsistency?  He made three starts last year.

He is an average starter with a reliable track record and is not owed an exorbitant amount of money.  I think the Orioles could trade him, eat a little money, and potentially get a team's top 20-30 prospect.

Don't you need to be healthy to be consistent? 

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I could see a team taking a flier on Cobb if the O's foot a good bit of his contract.

On his pro-rated salary, Cobb would earn @ $4.5MM the rest of this season. That would be nothing for a contending team to take on if they were sold on him putting them over the top. But I can't imagine being so desperate on August 4, 10 games into a 60 game season if I were a decision maker to take on the entirety of his contract. 

If a team really wants to gamble a little bit of cash on Cobb to win this year's WS, they may be wrangled into taking half the burden on the 2021 salary, while the Orioles pay half of this season's $4.5MM remaining. This is starting to sound too good to be true!