BA's Eastern League Top 20 (you might not like this)

Lt Melmo

Maybe not. But I'm suspect of his particular analysis if only because he puts Berken and Bergesen ahead of Hernandez in terms of ML projection. Bergesen has six months on him, but Hernandez had the better season, and based off of what I've read, I'm not sure anyone would say Bergesen has "better stuff".

No, but Bergesen can throw more than 2 pitches for a strike and has vastly greater command.

Honestly, probably all three of these guys are going to be in the pen. One of them MIGHT settle in as a 5th starter for a few seasons, but don't expect much more.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting and fair enough. I'd have had Cahill, Anderson and Gonzalez right up there as a pitching trio to compare to anyone elses. Rodriguez and Inoa make it a great top five too. Not to mention Simmons and Mazzaro.

I guess they don't have a Price type guy at the top but I'd def swap our pitching prospects for theirs.

Gonzalez is definitely not up in the 1/2 range for me -- at least not yet. I still see curveball and not much else. I know he can reach back and touch the mid-90s, but he tends to leave the ball up in the zone when he does that and there just isn't enough consistency in his changeup yet. I think eventually he's a #3, and he could probably be a lights-out closer. I don't see a great 3rd pitch or the command for the front-end.

Mazzaro is okay -- not blown away. He had a nice season in a hitter-friendly Texas League, but still looks like #3 ceiling, and more likely back-end. Inconsistent secondary stuff but I like that he's cut way down on his walks. Again, what's his third pitch?

Simmons, much better command than Mazzaro. That's really his bread-and-butter. Great changeup, which is nice, but he isn't as advanced with his breaking pitches. Again, #3 ceiling for me.

Good convo, and I like OAKs system a lot. I just don't see the front-line guys that are in TEX/TAM/SFN.

Gonzalez is definitely not up in the 1/2 range for me -- at least not yet. I still see curveball and not much else. I know he can reach back and touch the mid-90s, but he tends to leave the ball up in the zone when he does that and there just isn't enough consistency in his changeup yet. I think eventually he's a #3, and he could probably be a lights-out closer. I don't see a great 3rd pitch or the command for the front-end.

Mazzaro is okay -- not blown away. He had a nice season in a hitter-friendly Texas League, but still looks like #3 ceiling, and more likely back-end. Inconsistent secondary stuff but I like that he's cut way down on his walks. Again, what's his third pitch?

Simmons, much better command than Mazzaro. That's really his bread-and-butter. Great changeup, which is nice, but he isn't as advanced with his breaking pitches. Again, #3 ceiling for me.

Good convo, and I like OAKs system a lot. I just don't see the front-line guys that are in TEX/TAM/SFN.

Indeed, good stuff! I do agree with you about OAK's guys. I was really comparing them to our top end guys rather than the whole leagues but I do still put them right up there (mb just TAM ahead of them overall). Perhaps more in quality depth than ace quality though now you've analyzed a few of their guys for me. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Cahill or Anderson turned out to be top of the rotation guys though. Mazzaro's 3rd pitch is his slider, though it needs some improvement for him to take his game to the next level. After how much he came on this year though I wouldn't bet against that happening.

What is very refreshing for me is that so many of the weaker teams in MLB this year have such good prospects coming up over the next two years. We should be in for some exciting years to come!

Archived