No more argument to play Chris Davis

accinfo

20 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Yeah, there is no reason for sending your worst hitter up there as a pinch hitter.

Some kind of double fake, right.  Hilarious.  "Muhahahahaha!  They'll be rattled by our curious behavior!  We've got them now!"

They pinched the worst hitter on the team.   Smack in the face of reason. :)

...but he has been making good contact.  

...when he's not striking out.

Wonderful logic.

With the 28 man roster and Bowie a phone call away, there is absolutely NO reason Davis should EVER see the field. Like it or not, we have a chance to make the playoffs this season, and while that could change with an extended losing streak, it's true at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, O-The-Memories said:

We didn't have anyone else who could pinch hit on the bench? If Davis was the only option (which I really don't think he was), then it was the right call I suppose. Mullins is even worse with the bat than Davis. I wish we could get rid of both since neither brings value to the club.

There is no comparison to the two players.  Mullins is a very good outfielder and is going to be needed to play CF most days while Hayes is out.  I don't have great expectations that he Mullins can hit at the major league level but I don't think there is a final judgement on that.  That can't be said about Chris Davis.  He is finished.  You can live with a weak Mullins bat in the lineup for his defense as long as you don't handicap yourself playing Davis everyday.  Again like I said in the initial post in this thread you have a clear choice in Sisco and Davis and it shouldn't be a difficult choice.  Maybe Sisco proves in the next couple of weeks he can't deliver either but he has done enough to earn a chance. 

1 minute ago, accinfo said:

There is no comparison to the two players.  Mullins is a very good outfielder and is going to be needed to play CF most days while Hayes is out.  I don't have great expectations that he Mullins can hit at the major league level but I don't think there is a final judgement on that.  That can't be said about Chris Davis.  He is finished.  You can live with a weak Mullins bat in the lineup for his defense as long as you don't handicap yourself playing Davis everyday.  Again like I said in the initial post in this thread you have a clear choice in Sisco and Davis and it shouldn't be a difficult choice.  Maybe Sisco proves in the next couple of weeks he can't deliver either but he has done enough to earn a chance. 

I don't grade anyone with Mullins' arm a very good outfielder, left fielder maybe but not center or right.

I usually TRY to see if I can come up with the rationale for a managerial decision before I condemn it out of hand.   So here is what I am coming up with:

If we assume Iglesias couldn't play because of the quad (which is a dubious assumption because he had played the two days before and DHed once when he couldn't play the field)...

Then our options were Mullins, Holaday, and Davis.

Down 1 with one out in the 9th, out chances of stringing together multiple hits to score were getting low.   It would take 3 singles, or a walk and 2 singles, or a single and an extrabase hit, and we only had one out left to play with.

So maybe Hyde concluded our best chance to tie the game was to hit a HR.

Based on seeing Davis throughout June camp, in BP and intrasquad and exhibition games, plus BP during the season, maybe Hyde honestly thought that Davis had the best chance of the three guys of putting a bat on a ball and hitting it out of the park,

There, that's the best I can come up with.

• Upvote 3

...I did catch myself having to bite my lip and just let it roll, but with Nunoz not scooping that ball and letting the winning run score on that bad throw, it made me wonder why Davis hadn't spelled him to start that inning.  That was the top of the 8th, I think.  Maybe 7th.  Davis is a plus fielder and should be utilized in those situations, but why a double negative hitter is pinching is beyond me.

Just now, drjohnnyfeva said:

...I did catch myself having to bite my lip and just let it roll, but with Nunoz not scooping that ball and letting the winning run score on that bad throw, it made me wonder why Davis hadn't spelled him to start that inning.  That was the top of the 8th, I think.  Maybe 7th.  Davis is a plus fielder and should be utilized in those situations, but why a double negative hitter is pinching is beyond me.

Davis is not a plus fielder.  I guess in the nebulous world of first base fielding metrics he might have qualified as plus for a season or two but not at this point in history.

Just now, drjohnnyfeva said:

Nunez was due up first in the bottom of the eighth, I think you want his bat in there in a tie game.

• Upvote 1