A game we didn't have to lose

Moose Milligan

14 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Granted, I didn't start watching until the 3rd inning but I saw enough to know...

1. Chris Davis.  Just no.  And letting him lead off the 9th?  Inexcusable when you're down 3 and need baserunners.
  2. Dwight Smith Jr. in the outfield.  Or anywhere, really.  Blue Jays padded their lead on his terrible outfielding skills
  3. Pitching to Randal Grichuk.  Grichuk ate our lunch last year to a tune of a 1.199 OPS, by far the highest OPS he had against any one team last year.  And he's doing it to us again this year.

Look, I'm not saying we would have won if we didn't have Davis, DSJR and didn't pitch to Grichuk, but Davis in the lineup gives us 23 outs to work with, DSJR is terrible in the field and Grichuk drove in 3.  Eliminate those issues, I like our chances better.  

That's a situation where Davis could have bunted his way on, if he cared enough about helping the team to learn how. (It's hard  for me to see how learning to push the ball toward third base could mess up his swing or his timing.) As long as he's still on the team, he's going to some ABs, and some will be in situations where it would help to have him on base for guys who can drive the ball.

14 hours ago, allquixotic said:

From all appearances: until his contract expires.

In September 2022.

Too bad we can't stir up some activism around OPACY -- peaceful protests with masks and distancing observed -- to pressure the front office to get rid of him.

What we should do is threaten to take over a whole section of OPACY at the next home game, and then not show up at all!  That empty section will just stand out like sore thumb.

17 hours ago, joelala said:

Almost like we don’t care about winning...

Exactly - except for the Almost.  It seems somewhat arrogant for management not to care and still expect the players and everyone else associated with the team to care - not to mention... the fans.

That would be us, btw, for those trying to follow along at home. 

13 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Exactly - except for the Almost.  It seems somewhat arrogant for management not to care and still expect the players and everyone else associated with the team to care - not to mention... the fans.

That would be us, btw, for those trying to follow along at home. 

I don’t think management cares at all who cares right now.

Trust it or not, this is part of the process, which, cheating aside, has proven quite successful in Houston. 

1 minute ago, joelala said:

I don’t think management cares at all who cares right now.

Trust it or not, this is part of the process, which, cheating aside, has proven quite successful in Houston. 

Houston intentionally blocked prospects with players like Smith and Davis and LeBlanc?   

• Upvote 1

Grichuk has played 33 games in his career against the Os, spanning 129 at-bats....so not an insignificant sample size.  Extrapolating to 162 games and comparing his 162 game "basic" numbers to what they look like against all other teams in the majors, we have:

Vs. Os: .349 average, 79 homers, 182 RBI

Vs. Everyone else: .241 average, 27 homers, 74 RBI

No matter how bad we are, that spread is ridiculous.  Giving this guy anything at all to hit is just a bad idea at this point. 

3 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

Grichuk has played 33 games in his career against the Os, spanning 129 at-bats....so not an insignificant sample size.  Extrapolating to 162 games and comparing his 162 game "basic" numbers to what they look like against all other teams in the majors, we have:

No matter how bad we are, that spread is ridiculous.  Giving this guy anything at all to hit is just a bad idea at this point. 

Do you think player success against a team is a repeatable skill?

19 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

129 at bats is a very small sample, especially since most of them are against pitchers who no longer play for the Orioles.

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think player success against a team is a repeatable skill?

I do from a player confidence perspective, I am guessing you think it is not.  And I suspect the Orioles agree with you, which is why we still pitch to him.  So here is hoping you all are correct and he goes 0 for his next 57 against the Os to then align him with how he performs against the rest of the majors. 

11 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

129 at bats is a very small sample, especially since most of them are against pitchers who no longer play for the Orioles.

I could just extrapolate based on the current Oriole pitchers he just faced this week, but that might look worse!  Either way, I am sick of getting beaten by this guy.  I think we all can agree on that.

17 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Which is why I tune out any announcer who starts talking about So-and-So's career stats against such and such a team.

Outside of the slight influence of half of said stats being generated at the same stadium, it's a bunch of nothing that means nothing... one the most worthless stats discussed in baseball.

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Houston intentionally blocked prospects with players like Smith and Davis and LeBlanc?   

Can not speak to the truth or falsehood of those specifics, but look at their historically bad W/L records for the tank years. I think you have to at least somewhat concertedly be that bad. And I do know they played service time games with Springer at least to try to synch up his controllable years with their perceived window. So it would not surprise me if there were other such similar instances of players being blocked or held back in favor of firmly below replacement level players.