LeBlanc goes out with an elbow injury

Tony-OH

If the O's lose Leblanc I think its addition by subtraction. I have been saying that I think Eshelman is a better starter than LeBlanc.

As far as Kremer and Akin there is plenty of room on the pitching staff for both.  Cobb may be traded and Wojo is nothing special.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Honestly I think it’s better for the future to put Akin in the rotation and leave Eshelman in the pen. 

I think Hyde can pick the spots he wants Akin to pitch better if he begins as a reliever.  A starter has to face everyone.   Eshelman has proven he can do that.  I think it is better for Akin, Eshelman and the team if Eshelman starts.  

We will see what Elias and Hyde thinks.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Hyde can pick the spots he wants Akin to pitch better if he begins as a reliever.  A starter has to face everyone.   Eshelman has proven he can do that.  I think it is better for Akin, Eshelman and the team if Eshelman starts.  

If winning were the most important thing you’d be right. It isn’t ....developing our younger guys is the key. Eshelman is a 5th starter/ middle relief type. Akin has higher upside and has been a starter all of his career so far.

If winning were the most important thing you’d be right. It isn’t ....developing our younger guys is the key. Eshelman is a 5th starter/ middle relief type. Akin has higher upside and has been a starter all of his career so far.

Correct. Eshelman isn't part of the future, Akin/Kremer allegedly are. Now is the time to get them some experience so that they're a little more comfortable next year and to see what they will need to work on to be successful in whatever role.

• Upvote 1

LeBlanc leaving is addition by subtraction, most likely, if you're going to add Akin and/or Kremer.  

In regards to Eshelman, he was a 2nd round pick and he just turned 26 in June, so maybe there's some upside.  He also only has 3 walks in 19.2 innings this year.  His K rate sucks but he also doesn't walk a lot of batters.  If he's a 5th guy in a rotation, that's fine.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

LeBlanc leaving is addition by subtraction, most likely, if you're going to add Akin and/or Kremer.  

In regards to Eshelman, he was a 2nd round pick and he just turned 26 in June, so maybe there's some upside.  He also only has 3 walks in 19.2 innings this year.  His K rate sucks but he also doesn't walk a lot of batters.  If he's a 5th guy in a rotation, that's fine.  

You?  Mentioning draft pedigree?  What has the world come to?

Let why when Akin was called up earlier was he put in the pen?  I think Elias/Hyde may have a different opinion on how Akin should be developed.

5 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Honestly I think it’s better for the future to put Akin in the rotation and leave Eshelman in the pen. 

I just don't see Akin as a starter in the big leagues. He's just never been consistent enough inning to inning as a starter and I think he'll get a jump in stuff in relief. I don't think Eshelman is to the answer to other than who is a decent stop gap, but I do root for the guy. Eshelman is a pure pitcher who adds and subtracts off pitches, moves the ball around and pitches off of plus plus command. He's fin t watch when it works because he defies all statcast analytics.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that if Elias wants Akin in the rotation and Hyde wants him in the pen he's going to be in the rotation.

I would agree with this. I'm not sure what Elias thinks of Akin's ultimate role but I do know he was pretty high on him as a starter last year despite the so-so numbers and command. Akin has major league stuff, but has never been able to be consistent enough to play as a starter though on occasion he'll have those wow performances that tease you a bit. 

I would not be against giving him starts this year if that's the route they go, but I think he'll end up as a really good reliever.

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I just don't see Akin as a starter in the big leagues. He's just never been consistent enough inning to inning as a starter and I think he'll get a jump in stuff in relief. I don't think Eshelman is to the answer to other than who is a decent stop gap, but I do root for the guy. Eshelman is a pure pitcher who adds and subtracts off pitches, moves the ball around and pitches off of plus plus command. He's fin t watch when it works because he defies all statcast analytics.

I would like someone smarter than me to compare Akin to early-career Bedard to see if there's any comp there whatsoever. I doubt it, because I just don't see the killer breaking ball that Bedard had. BUT. Early on Bedard did have control issues (1.602 WHIP, 4.7 BB9) and his K numbers were 7.9 his first 3 seasons before suddenly hitting nearly 11 in his breakout year. 

But like Bedard, Akin is a guy with strikeout stuff (apparently), a decent fastball for a left-hander, and some nibbly control issues. 

I'm not saying Akin has Bedard-level talent, just that I'd be willing to give Akin plenty of run as a starter.

5 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Can't they both be in the rotation?  I thought we'd been pitching a guy short there.