The deadline is looming...Is Elias done?

Roll Tide

12 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

I do very much like the effort to sign Milone last offseason and to deal him for prospects at the deadline.

I think that was a risky strategy if that was the end goal, because Milone's past 3-4 years were not good.  If he'd had a couple more poor starts for the Os they likely get nothing for him.

Guys.....oh and here I am contributing...Let’s beat that dead horse!

Imagine if this were a normal season. Nobody could’ve anticipated that it would not be at the time that Villar was traded.

With all respect, it is complete malarkey to suggest that Jonathan would’ve played for less so that he could stay with his pals. So the trade to Miami was to save money on a player who had no trade value( or he would have been traded at the previous deadline.) Not only that, but in Miami he was playing lousy, so lousy that the GM actually complained publicly about his attitude. 
The Orioles did a good thing by letting him go, regardless of the quality of the return.

What happened yesterday was much more a big mistake on the part of Toronto than it was a coup on the part of Miami.
as Jeff Cooper once said of the AK-47,”it is a good weapon for my enemy to have.”

I’m glad the Jays have Villar and I’m glad they gave up something meaningful for him.

35 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That's your choice, but you are putting on blinders to a primary consideration in most transactions.  There are many, many trades where the money is all that matters, at least one of the teams involved doesn't really care at all about the production outside the context of how much that costs.

Not to mention that if you accept the basic premise of limited resources, it matters for every team.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That's your choice, but you are putting on blinders to a primary consideration in most transactions.  There are many, many trades where the money is all that matters, at least one of the teams involved doesn't really care at all about the production outside the context of how much that costs.

Its bad enough that as Orioles fans that we have to live through another rebuild! With the exception of a handful or seasons this team has been in constant rebuild since 1984. Obviously we had the Davey Johnson managed years and a couple with Buck. Plucking out our most exciting offensive player to save some money on  a product that has long been substandard is BS.

I work in business development and subtracting from a product is not a good way to increase customer interest and revenue

9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Its bad enough that as Orioles fans that we have to live through another rebuild! With the exception of a handful or seasons this team has been in constant rebuild since 1984. Obviously we had the Davey Johnson managed years and a couple with Buck. Plucking out our most exciting offensive player to save some money on  a product that has long been substandard is BS.

I work in business development and subtracting from a product is not a good way to increase customer interest and revenue

You stay in constant rebuild mode when the rebuild's continue to fail.  They haven't drafted or developed enough good players to be good for any sustained period of time.  I think Peter Angelos had a lot to do with that.  Especially the abandoning of acquiring International players.  We essentially have new ownership even though their last name is the same.  This feels different to me.  Time will tell.  

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Philip said:

With all respect, it is complete malarkey to suggest that Jonathan would’ve played for less so that he could stay with his pals. So the trade to Miami was to save money on a player who had no trade value( or he would have been traded at the previous deadline.) Not only that, but in Miami he was playing lousy, so lousy that the GM actually complained publicly about his attitude. \s have Villar and I’m glad they gave up something meaningful for him.

He gets traded all the time. I don't think that they are his pals. Plus the exciting factor, his stealing bases, has become a nothing with his 8 out of 13 style points. 

18 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I'm a customer. I did not like Villar. 

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Agree with you and not Tide. 

Also, there is a difference between being able to afford $8M-$10M for Villar and deciding whether or not Villar is worth $8M-$10M.  Assuming Villar was dealt for market value when ME made the trade, it would appear that most of baseball agreed that Villar was not worth it.