Dean Kremer, the chosen one

MurphDogg

3 minutes ago, joelala said:

True. And no we don’t know for sure that tanking was the plan, but it certainly seems it was closer to the plan than contending for a playoff spot, wouldn’t you agree? Our biggest off season addition signing was Jose Iglesias. 

No doubt in my mind they're not trying to win every game possible. They are most definitely not allocating resources in the ST, which reduces the likely season win total. High draft picks are certainly welcome.

I just question that we know they are actively trying to lose individual games through individual roster moves.

Just now, BohKnowsBmore said:

No doubt in my mind they're not trying to win every game possible. They are most definitely not allocating resources in the ST, which reduces the likely season win total. High draft picks are certainly welcome.

I just question that we know they are actively trying to lose individual games through individual roster moves.

I think it’s just action via inaction. I agree they are not sabotaging individual games. 

• Upvote 1

o

73% of the outs that Kremer recorded (11 out of 15) came via the Strikeout and the Groundout. 

Kremer retired 14 out of the final 15 batters that he faced, yielding only 1 Walk in that span. 

18 OUTS: )  7 Strikeouts, 4 Groundouts, 3 Flyouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Foulout, 1 Popout

DEAJUNIOR "D.J." KREMER )))))))) (vs. YANKEES, 9/06)

IP:lll6

H:lllll.1 ) l(1 Single)

R:llll 1

BB:ll3

SO:ll7

Pitches: l) 88 )(47 )Strikes, )41 )Balls)

2020 ERA: l) 1.50 )  6.00 IP  (1 ER) 

2020 WHIP: l)  0.667  )  6.00 IP  (4 H/BB) 

2020 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .053  )(1 for 19)   

PITCHES BY INNING  

12  ll(71 llStrikes, ll51 l.Balls)

30  lll(13 llStrikes, l17 lllBalls)

91  lll(71 llStrikes, ll21 llBalls)

11  lll(61 llStrikes, lll51 llBalls)

10  lll(61 llStrikes, lll41 llBalls)

16  lll(81 llStrikes, llll81lllBalls)

o

• Thanks 1

Savant has him charted at 44 fastballs, 31 curves and 12 sliders (50/35/15).   88 total, so maybe 1 change-up.

Definitely got the impression of a guy who hits his spots, with nerves splashing that 2nd inning.  I imagine adrenaline (and all the reserves playing) helped the stuff dominate today - I think his game is more Haren than deGrom.

Some of the high fastball, low curve sequences looked like assembly line stuff, nicely executed.  Legs looked really strong for a trim guy.

I'd give him more than Akin a shot to unseat Means for next year's Opening Day start if that's a thing that can happen.

• Upvote 3

Rookie gets the postgame interview with Ben, and whichever play by play guy is streaming today.

He self-diagnosed his pace too slow in 2nd inning - the rest was pretty much fluff.   Ben seemed excited about the cut fastball as 3rd pitch helping him out today in one of his questions; Kremer called it "easy to rely on when my back is against the wall".

• Upvote 1

I know Akin and Kremer have a long way to go to become Aces, but I am encouraged this weekend by both of them.  In a forgettable season like this one, any such glimmers of light is appreciated.     And it could not have happened to a more appropriate opponent.  Keep it up, both you guys.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

I know Akin and Kremer have a long way to go to become Aces, but I am encouraged this weekend by both of them.  In a forgettable season like this one, any such glimmers of light is appreciated.     And it could not have happened to a more appropriate opponent.  Keep it up, both you guys.  

Why forgettable? I have been finding the baseball pretty enjoyable, and who can forget the face masks and empty stadiums?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

73% of the outs that Kremer recorded (11 out of 15) came via the Strikeout and the Groundout. 

Kremer retired 14 out of the final 15 batters that he faced, yielding only 1 Walk in that span. 

18 OUTS: )  7 Strikeouts, 4 Groundouts, 3 Flyouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Foulout, 1 Popout

DEAJUNIOR "D.J." KREMER )))))))) (vs. YANKEES, 9/06)

IP:lll6

H:lllll.1 ) l(1 Single)

R:llll 1

BB:ll3

SO:ll7

Pitches: l) 88 )(47)Strikes, )41)Balls)

2020 ERA: l) 1.50 )  6.00 IP  (1 ER) 

2020 WHIP: l)  0.667  )  6.00 IP  (4 H/BB) 

2020 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .053  )(1 for 19)   

PITCHES BY INNING  

12  ll(71 llStrikes, l.51 l.Balls)

30  lll(13 llStrikes, l17 lllBalls)

91  lll(71 llStrikes, ll21 llBalls)

11  lll(61 llStrikes, lll51 llBalls)

10  lll(61 llStrikes, lll41 llBalls)

16  lll(81 llStrikes, llll81lllBalls)

o

Hell of a start! Easy to be excited about this guy. His stuff looks good and. He had plenty of poise

• Upvote 2

Been out all day today, so I had no idea he was starting.

Suffice it to say, I am very glad to see him up.

I didn't see any of the game today but the stat line looks relatively impressive.

First of all, we actually had a starter go 6 innings.  That seems like a miracle.  

The K rate is good to see and a swingstr% of 17% is solid.

What you don't like to see are the 3 walks and the 53% str%.  That obviously has to get better and I am sure it will.

Great to see some of these young arms up now.  I was always excited about this bullpen, going back to the offseason.  I like a lot of the young arms, so to be able to see all of these guys up here now is what I envisioned this year.   Nice look at the future.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Been out all day today, so I had no idea he was starting.

Suffice it to say, I am very glad to see him up.

I didn't see any of the game today but the stat line looks relatively impressive.

First of all, we actually had a starter go 6 innings.  That seems like a miracle.  

The K rate is good to see and a swingstr% of 17% is solid.

What you don't like to see are the 3 walks and the 53% str%.  That obviously has to get better and I am sure it will.

Great to see some of these young arms up now.  I was always excited about this bullpen, going back to the offseason.  I like a lot of the young arms, so to be able to see all of these guys up here now is what I envisioned this year.   Nice look at the future.

He probably could’ve went 7. His last pitch was as hard as any he threw. 

The strike zone was small ... the umpire missed quite a few at the knees according to the pitch block.

• Upvote 2

I only saw the 5th and 6th innings, but I was very impressed with Kremer.    Really nice vertical drop on his curve ball, really nice horizontal movement on the cutter, nice velocity and spin on the fastball.    Saw at least one FB at 96.     I think we may have a dude here.   

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Saw at least one FB at 96.

That was the only fastball at 96. But his velocity was way up. Averaged 94.1, hitting 95 with regularity. Last year he would sit 93 in the first inning and be sitting 91 by the end of his outings, so this was a major uptick.

• Upvote 1