The whole one-game playoff concept rubs me the wrong way.

Lt Melmo

As a previous poster pointed out, either of these teams could have won one more measly game and avoided the 163rd game. They each had 74 chances to win just one more game that would have made the difference. In that respect it seems absolutely appropriate that one game should decide who goes to the playoffs. Although yesterday evening this game seemed disproportionately important, retrospect today allows us to see that it carried no more weight than a game played in April.

Also, I don't like the idea of using head-to-head records. Those games count just as much as the others, and don't necessarily tell you who the better team is. I'm sure there are several examples just this year of bad teams with winning records against playoff teams.

Not sure what's unfair about having two tied teams play each other in a winner-moves-on scenario.

Agreed. If the one-game playoff is unfair, a 5- or 7-game playoff series is only marginally more fair. Yet nobody is putting forth the idea of granting the championship to the team with the best record.

Agreed. If the one-game playoff is unfair, a 5- or 7-game playoff series is only marginally more fair. Yet nobody is putting forth the idea of granting the championship to the team with the best record.
Actually, Drungo said he would be in favor of that. Or at least give just as much importance to winning the regular season title as is given to winning the playoffs.

I fully expect Drungo to come on here with his Anti-Playoff Rant :D. But if you think the playoffs are ok, why not a playoff game to determine who gets in?

I think a one-game playoff is fine. Is mis-named. It's not a playoff, it's a one-game extension of the season because two teams were tied after 162.

The only thing worse than deciding a champion by a few short series is deciding anything by points allowed in out-of-conference road games.

Actually, Drungo said he would be in favor of that. Or at least give just as much importance to winning the regular season title as is given to winning the playoffs.

It works abroad. But we love our playoffs and they are way too big of a money-maker.

Archived