Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

9 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

A utility guy would have made more sense than Pedro, but get back to me in a few months, Flaherty has a big hole in his swing, it'll get exploited in time.

Or Pedro. And I like Pedro but his value is zero currently. Can’t play the field. He was even awful at 1b in ST.

People can hate all they want but I think he   will be much better than you think. Time will tell.

8 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Or Pedro. And I like Pedro but his value is zero currently. Can’t play the field. He was even awful at 1b in ST.

People can hate all they want but I think he   will be much better than you think. Time will tell.

No hate...just not wearing the Ryan colored love glasses.   His skills have not magically become what they never were before.  I will take Valencia any day. 

10 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

No hate...just not wearing the Ryan colored love glasses.   His skills have not magically become what they never were before.  I will take Valencia any day. 

Speaking of Valencia...why are we watching Pedro, Ofor Chris Davis and K King Asmus.

Ryan always struck me as a nice guy who genuinely seemed proud to be an Oriole. His talent may not have always matched his enthusiasm, but I don't look back at Flaherty with any negativity. He was a utility player who could be plugged in almost anywhere. 

I've shared a few journalist's tweets about his hot start, but obviously it is partly in jest. He's going to come back to reality, but I'm happy to see the guy have success, even in spurts. At the end of the day, he was a major league ball player, not an elite one, but he was there and contributed. It's more than I can say about myself. I hope he and Markakis have success in Atlanta. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thatbearflies said:

Ryan always struck me as a nice guy who genuinely seemed proud to be an Oriole. His talent may not have always matched his enthusiasm, but I don't look back at Flaherty with any negativity. He was a utility player who could be plugged in almost anywhere. 

I've shared a few journalist's tweets about his hot start, but obviously it is partly in jest. He's going to come back to reality, but I'm happy to see the guy have success, even in spurts. At the end of the day, he was a major league ball player, not an elite one, but he was there and contributed. It's more than I can say about myself. I hope he and Markakis have success in Atlanta. 

I liked Flash you know if Buck had any say he would be and Oriole right now.

My personal goal for the team for April: get back to .500. Don’t let March 31 be the last time the team sniffs .500 this year. If we don’t get back to .500 in April, we won’t make it to .500 at all this year, since the team habitually limps into the end of the season due to lack of effort and conditioning.

10 hours ago, Rene88 said:

Making some great plays for the Braves at 3B and another hit! Nice start.

I had my criticisms but still would rather have him than Gentry.

The part of baseball I like the most/least is April.  Because it's so hard to tell what people mean when they talk about 31-year-old .219 hitters going 8-for-their-first-16.  Do they mean that this is an almost miraculous, divinely inspired change in their ability and they've somehow gone from barely passable to highly productive at an advanced age?  Or are they just remarking how cool it is that something with a 21% chance of happening can sometimes occur 50% of the time if you give it enough four game trials?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, alaniee said:

Craig Gentry had the #1 defensive play of MLB's opening week.

Flaherty would not be doing anything for us if we had him. We had him for years and he didn't do much.

Thank you Atlanta.

What?  This is such a typical internet chat room response.  Flaherty was exactly what the Os needed for years.  And, oh, by the way, he actually showed up when he made appearances in the playoffs.... hitting a respectable .281 / .830 ops.

Why crap on the guy like he was roadkill?

LAME

1 hour ago, allquixotic said:

My personal goal for the team for April: get back to .500. Don’t let March 31 be the last time the team sniffs .500 this year. If we don’t get back to .500 in April, we won’t make it to .500 at all this year, since the team habitually limps into the end of the season due to lack of effort and conditioning.

This just isn't remotely true.  Last year was the 1st time under Buck Showalter that you could say the Orioles "limped" into the end of the season.  They either been at .500 or above .500 (several times well above .500) in September/October every other year.  To say this team has a lack of effort or conditioning has no support logically.

I would also disagree that if they don't get to .500 in April they never will.  They have an extremely difficult schedule in April.  I would like them to just not get buried.  The schedule eventually will soften a bit, and the team will eventually even score some runs off of starting pitchers.  Maybe not tonight with Verlander though :eek: