Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

10 hours ago, JimGinSP said:

37 y.o. Darren O’Day re-signs with the Atlanta Braves for a 2.25 M guarantee and 3.5 M club option for 2021 per a club release.   

When the trade went down in 2018 did anyone think that O’Day would be the pitcher extending their career in Atlanta?

I never realized when O'Day was a good Oriole how much Joe Smith is a very similar pitcher until seeing how prominently the Astros featured him this October, despite just 70 regular season innings across 2018-2019.  I think the lesson is playoff juggernauts seem to think it worthwhile to cultivate having this kind of guy ready in September/October.  If he wants to and can still attain high fall effectiveness year by year, I feel like O'Day may have the opportunity to enjoy a Federer/Nadal-only-really-try-at-Grand-Slams phase of his career.  His hip and body probably can't take more than those couple dozen innings annually anyway.

18 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I never realized when O'Day was a good Oriole how much Joe Smith is a very similar pitcher until seeing how prominently the Astros featured him this October, despite just 70 regular season innings across 2018-2019.  I think the lesson is playoff juggernauts seem to think it worthwhile to cultivate having this kind of guy ready in September/October.  If he wants to and can still attain high fall effectiveness year by year, I feel like O'Day may have the opportunity to enjoy a Federer/Nadal-only-really-try-at-Grand-Slams phase of his career.  His hip and body probably can't take more than those couple dozen innings annually anyway.

I don't think Atlanta is paying him 2.25M with the expectation that he pitches 25 innings.

41 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think Atlanta is paying him 2.25M with the expectation that he pitches 25 innings.

We'll see.  I think if O'Day or the market thought he could be the good version of himself for 60-70 innings he'd be making triple that or more, and these contract terms are everyone knowing the score.  If I had to predict how many IP will O'Day have on 9.1.2020, I'd have a hard time going past 30-35.  But he'd be on my short list of explicit guesses for 2020 Postseason Holds leaders.

On 10/11/2019 at 7:42 PM, Frobby said:

20/20 hindsight, it’s a no-brainer.   The team changed its spending philosophy between post-2014 when it jettisoned Cruz, Markakis and Miller and post-2015 when it kept Davis and O’Day.    When you think back on it, it’s tragic.    Trumbo’s a minor footnote in the saga.    Really, when we traded for him he was the insurance policy in case we lost Davis.    Then we ended up keeping both.   Sigh.   

Post 2014 is when they should have put the hammer down and gone for it, signed Cruz, Miller and Markakis...instead they did absolutely nothing except for Dan dillying around  with Toronto.  Biggest fail of the Duquette era, imho was the 2014 post season nothingburger. 

Aaron brooks is not the only one going overseas. 

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/player/20189/odrisamer-despaigne

Odrisamer Despaigne signed a one-year, $900,000 contract with KT Wiz of the Korea Baseball Organization.

The deal is pending a physical, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic. Despaigne owned a 9.45 ERA in three starts with the White Sox in 2019 and was outrighted off the team's 40-man roster in late June. Like many before him, the 32-year-old will try to get his career back on track overseas.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Ex-Oriole going overseas.  @Redskins Rick favorite!

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/player/18956/gerardo-parra

Gerardo Parra has agreed to a contract with the Yomiuri Giants in Japan.

The deal comes with a $2 million guaranteed salary, $500,000 in performance bonuses, and a $3 million vesting option for 2021. Parra became a fan favorite this past year in Washington as the Nationals marched to the franchise's first World Series championship, but the popularity was due in large part to his walk-up song -- "Baby Shark" -- and he didn't actually play much during the postseason. The 32-year-old outfielder ultimately slashed .234/.293/.391 in 301 regular-season plate appearances and likely would have had to settle for a minor league contract this winter had he opted to remain in North America.

2 minutes ago, murph said:

Another Ex-Oriole going overseas.  @Redskins Rick favorite!

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/player/18956/gerardo-parra

Gerardo Parra has agreed to a contract with the Yomiuri Giants in Japan.

The deal comes with a $2 million guaranteed salary, $500,000 in performance bonuses, and a $3 million vesting option for 2021. Parra became a fan favorite this past year in Washington as the Nationals marched to the franchise's first World Series championship, but the popularity was due in large part to his walk-up song -- "Baby Shark" -- and he didn't actually play much during the postseason. The 32-year-old outfielder ultimately slashed .234/.293/.391 in 301 regular-season plate appearances and likely would have had to settle for a minor league contract this winter had he opted to remain in North America.

Im speechless

Guess we are all pretty glad we didn't extend this one!  Talk about maximizing value, what a steal for us. 

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/player/19571/wei-yin-chen

Marlins designated LHP Wei-Yin Chen for assignment.

Chen is due $22 million next season, a huge sum of money for a club like the Marlins, but they'll eat that cash after watching the veteran left-hander struggle to a 6.59 ERA over 68 1/3 innings of relief in 2019. Chen, 34, will surely clear waivers and then be officially released.

* Former Orioles right-hander Mike Wright has a deal to pitch next year in the Korean Baseball Organization.

Wright, 29, posted a 9.45 ERA and 2.025 WHIP in 10 relief appearances with the Orioles and a 6.75 ERA and 1.813 WHIP in nine games with the Mariners, who acquired him in an April 24 trade and later outrighted him.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/11/os-progressing-toward-deal-with-anthony-sanders-as-first-base-coach.html

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

* Former Orioles right-hander Mike Wright has a deal to pitch next year in the Korean Baseball Organization.

Wright, 29, posted a 9.45 ERA and 2.025 WHIP in 10 relief appearances with the Orioles and a 6.75 ERA and 1.813 WHIP in nine games with the Mariners, who acquired him in an April 24 trade and later outrighted him.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/11/os-progressing-toward-deal-with-anthony-sanders-as-first-base-coach.html

I know he was really bad, but those numbers.... those are eye popping.  And to think we had someone who was even worse (Straily)!