Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Hold on there a second, sport. Cabrera is pretty dreadful at the moment, but he’s done Alberto’s season about 15 times. 

Find other one-year wonders for comparisons, and see what those guys did the next year.

I hope he can sustain it, but comparing him with a HOF-er is a bit much.

It's Drungo, he is pointing out statistical anomalies, not comparing the two careers and I've always found calling people "sport" is pretty disrespectful.   JMO

46 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Buck wanted to see what Andreoli and Gentry could do.

I hope you’re joking, because he already knew what Craig Gentry could do, because he had a really long major-league track record, and Andreoli was a waiver wire pick up or PTBNL/cash considerations trade. Pretty poor reasons for not giving a guy in the system a chance, especially under the circumstances.

26 minutes ago, murph said:

It's Drungo, he is pointing out statistical anomalies, not comparing the two careers and I've always found calling people "sport" is pretty disrespectful.   JMO

Piffle. It is foolish to take offense where none is intended. And if you want to be offended by something I said to somebody else, well go ahead.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I hope you’re joking, because he already knew what Craig Gentry could do, because he had a really long major-league track record, and Andreoli was a waiver wire pick up or PTBNL/cash considerations trade. Pretty poor reasons for not giving a guy in the system a chance, especially under the circumstances.

Meh.    There was really nothing in his history to suggest Yaz would be a viable major league player.    He’s proved that wrong, for now, and good for him, but I don’t really question the thinking at the time.    

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Piffle. It is foolish to take offense where none is intended. And if you want to be offended by something I said to somebody else, well go ahead.

I am not offended, I said I find the term to be offensive, like talking down to someone.   Regardless, I think you missed the intent of his post is all. 

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Hold on there a second, sport. Cabrera is pretty dreadful at the moment, but he’s done Alberto’s season about 15 times. 

Find other one-year wonders for comparisons, and see what those guys did the next year.

I hope he can sustain it, but comparing him with a HOF-er is a bit much.

I wasn't the one who started this by comparing Little Yaz to Manny.

Just now, Frobby said:

Meh.    There was really nothing in his history to suggest Yaz would be a viable major league player.    He’s proved that wrong, for now, and good for him, but I don’t really question the thinking at the time.    

Well I try to be consistent, and my personal feeling is that in the last season, when the rosters expand, you bring up a good soldiers from the minor leagues. You bring up the guys who might be part of the future, yes, but you also bring up guys who aren’t part of any future but who have suffered for a long time in the minors and deserve a brief taste of the big leagues. Because it was also against the Red Sox, the family connection Would have made for a very special series, Which is a double reason to do it. I’m not suggesting he be brought up because he was good, but for the other reasons I mentioned. He seems to have turned out to be good as well… Who knew?

1 minute ago, murph said:

I am not offended, I said I find the term to be offensive, like talking down to someone.   Regardless, I think you missed the intent of his post is all. 

Yes I think I did miss the point of it, and on that I will happily stand corrected, but it’s not a disrespectful term. At least I certainly don’t mean it that way, perhaps the Internet lack of vocal inflection allowed for a different inference.

18 minutes ago, murph said:

It's hard to be offended when you're picturing a guy in a pith helmet and a handlebar moustache calling you Sport in an exaggerated aristocratic English accent.  The piffle in a following post just added to it.

"Hrrumph.  Perhaps young Mr. Yastrzemski has been using an un-sporting al-u-min-ee-um bat to strike the ball during his brief holiday in San Francisco?"

• Haha 3

On 8/30/2019 at 11:45 AM, Philip said:

I will never understand why Yaz never got a chance. Not even against Boston in the last series of a 47-win season.

Because this organization was amazingly stupid for years.  Throw a huge, obvious bone to a good organizational kid?  Of course not!  We're stupid!