Szymborski on Orioles progress

Just Regular

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Nunez is a DH with a 110 OPS+, or about that.

Kendrys Morales has spent 13 years in the majors as a DH with a 111 OPS+ and has played in four postseasons.

Mark Trumbo was basically a DH with a 1000-game career and a 108 OPS+.  Played on some good teams.

Billy Butler won a World Series as a DH with a 96 OPS+, 116 for his career.

From 2013-18 Victor Martinez was a DH with a 112 OPS+, played in a couple postseasons.

Evan Gattis, DH with a 111 OPS+, played in four postseasons.

Teams may not want their DH to have a 110 OPS+, but in reality that's about average for one. 

I think you are being creative with numbers here. 

Morales in his prime was much better than his career average OPS+. Same with VMart. 

Butler had an OPS+ of 128 before he starting slipping in 14. He wasn’t with KC in 15 when they won WS, Morales was. 

Gattis was on some loaded teams in Houston. 

If your argument is Nunez is good enough to be a DH on a winning team now I don’t disagree. That doesn’t mean he will be as productive by the time this team is ready to win.  

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

That is all true.  However,  when the O's have Mancini and Mountcastle at DH/1B plus Santander, Stewart, Hays, and Mullins in the OF.  With Diaz coming soon.  There are not many at bats for Nunez whether he is average or not.

I didn't said he was likely to remain an Oriole.  I just said that it's not uncommon to have a player like Nunez on a good team.

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Nunez does not look to have a long term future here. He isn’t bad but his glove adds no value and he is probably at his peak offensively. They may keep him next year because they aren’t sure about Mancini but I can’t see him here 2/3 years from now. 

There is never a shortage of players who can hit a little bit and can't field.  You can always find a 1B/DH with a 110 OPS+.  As long as Nunez is cheap and isn't actively taking playing time from someone better he'll stick, but that might not last until even next season.

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I didn't said he was likely to remain an Oriole.  I just said that it's not uncommon to have a player like Nunez on a good team.

I hope he does go to  a good team.  I like him.  There will just not be enough at bats for him next year.   And he is arbitration eligible.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I hope he does go to  a good team.  I like him.  There will just not be enough at bats for him next year.   And he is arbitration eligible.

Next year really depends on Mancini. If he can play and they want to give Stewart a long look that changes everything.