The team without an MVP?

HowAboutThat

Connally Wrote his obligatory annual, “team MVP” article this morning, stated his caveat about the short season and all that stuff we’ve heard many times already, listed all the usual guys, and asked for suggestions from the crowd.

The field is sparse. 

My feeling is that season was so short, and all of our players are so flawed, it’s hard to single out anyone as most valuable. On the other hand, every team has a “Most Valuable” and I have to go with Santander. In 32 games, he amassed .9 WAR(Nunez has .01) and he’s good on defense, with 8 DRs in Right field(second among AL RF) and 6.5 UZR/150(6th in the AL)

Even though he will end up missing almost half the season, I have to call him the MVP. I think he’s the best all-around player on this team at the moment. An argument could be made that we don’t have a real MVP, “but we have to have an MVP so my vote goes to Anthony“ And there’s a great rap lyric if ever there was one. 

• Upvote 1

Iglesias? He also missed time but plays great defense at SS and .921 OPS. BBref has him at 1 WAR.

Severino would be another possibility (.7 WAR). Unlike Iglesias and Santander, he has been healthy all year. 

Mountcastle is also in 1 WAR territory despite the late callup. 

Cesar Valdez has .8 WAR and the sheer novelty of a 35 year old junkball reliever getting it would be worth it. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Iglesias? He also missed time but plays great defense at SS and .921 OPS. BBref has him at 1 WAR.

Severino would be another possibility (.7 WAR). Unlike Iglesias and Santander, he has been healthy all year. 

Mountcastle is also in 1 WAR territory despite the late callup. 

Cesar Valdez has .8 WAR and the sheer novelty of a 35 year old junkball reliever getting it would be worth it. 

Mountcastle’s D has actually not been terrible. He has 1 DRS at First, which doesn’t jibe with the eye test. And he’s likely to hit 1 WAR( I prefer Fangraphs)if he continues till the end.  It Santander is a better all round player this season, his defense has been valuable. Severino has lousy defense, Iglesias would be a shoo-in if he could have stayed on the field.. 

Reliever bias, haha. So no to Valdez, but I hope he comes back next year.

49 minutes ago, Philip said:

Mountcastle’s D has actually not been terrible. He has 1 DRS at First, which doesn’t jibe with the eye test. And he’s likely to hit 1 WAR( I prefer Fangraphs)if he continues till the end.  It Santander is a better all round player this season, his defense has been valuable. Severino has lousy defense, Iglesias would be a shoo-in if he could have stayed on the field.. 

Reliever bias, haha. So no to Valdez, but I hope he comes back next year.

But you can't fault Iglesias for not staying on the field and then go give it to Santander. By the end of the season they should be pretty close in ABs. Pretty close in OPS but Iglesias plays the tougher position at a higher level. 

26 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

But you can't fault Iglesias for not staying on the field and then go give it to Santander. By the end of the season they should be pretty close in ABs. Pretty close in OPS but Iglesias plays the tougher position at a higher level. 

That’s a valid point. I’ll consider it.

1 hour ago, sevastras said:

I mean, Manny is hitting .402 over the last 30 games with a 1.154 slg?  .314 ave with 16 HR and 6 stolen bases on the season.....oops, he isnt in Baltimore any more

But Manny's never been much with the glove. ?

I think Santander, Iglesias and Mountcastle all played at MVO level -- when they played. They could share the award. If I had to pick one, Iglesias because of his defensive contribution when he played SS.

We’ll see how this last week plays out, but I’d almost certainly vote for Santander.   He still leads the team in RBI despite missing all those games, and is third in runs scored.  Iglesias is slightly higher in OPS but is nowhere near Santander in runs or RBI.   Santander also leads the team in rWAR by a good margin.  (Admittedly, Iglesias leads in fWAR.)

• Upvote 1

If Nunez is about to get hot for the last week, he might get the nod.  He would be the team leader in HRs, RBIs(2 behind Santander) and maybe runs (4 behind Hanser).  OPS could climb higher over .800.

If you consider the bullpen, I think Scott gets some consideration.

How many more starts for Means? If he finishes strong and get his ERA around 4.50 with his close to 1.00 WHIP, do we consider him?

7 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

If Nunez is about to get hot for the last week, he might get the nod.  He would be the team leader in HRs, RBIs(2 behind Santander) and maybe runs (4 behind Hanser).  OPS could climb higher over .800.

If you consider the bullpen, I think Scott gets some consideration.

How many more starts for Means? If he finishes strong and get his ERA around 4.50 with his close to 1.00 WHIP, do we consider him?

Scott has had a nice season but I can't see the writers voting a set up man MVP.

14 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's gotta be Mountcastle.  Too bad Santander went down with an injury and Iglesias can't stay on the field.

I think it's gotta be the McCovey precedent.  The kid who's clearly as good or better than everyone else who just didn't get a full season to show it.

Plus I love the absurdity of an O's MVP who is still eligible for the Rookie of the Year next year.

• Upvote 1