#5 Prospect - Billy Rowell

Tony-OH

It just that it really isn't close between Henson and Rowell. Rowell is the better prospect by a wide margin, IMO.

And judging by errors and fielding%, Rowell is actually the better defender:

Rowell FLD%-.925

Henson FLD%-.917

I know it's not the best stat to use, but what else do we really have?

3rd base was relatively new to Henson. I think with him being quicker and more agile, he's got the clear advantage in potential, no?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Barely above," you said. I'd say at this point Rowell has a pretty sizable lead. But I don't want to argue further about this, because I like Henson as a prospect, and he's moving up the ladder even as we speak with his early HWL performance.

You made me laugh.

His ceiling is enormous, he's got a ton of talent and massive raw power. He was regarded as the best prep hitter in the 2006 draft.

Reaching it will be tough, but he's got massive potential, which is why he's still rated so highly despite mediocre performance the last two years.

This may seem like a dumb question but who regarded Rowell as the best prep (which I take means high school) hitter in the 2006 draft other than apparently the Orioles? I would like to know.

I am sorry, but Tony I am not afraid to slam this guy.From what I have read and heard he has an attitude problem, and is even more immature than his age (if that can be possible).

This may seem like a dumb question but who regarded Rowell as the best prep (which I take means high school) hitter in the 2006 draft other than apparently the Orioles? I would like to know.

I am sorry, but Tony I am not afraid to slam this guy.From what I have read and heard he has an attitude problem, and is even more immature than his age (if that can be possible).

The Rowell pick was pretty favorably reviewed by BA and others at the time, if I recall.

I've read and heard the same things you have about Rowell's attitude, though I also read some things that suggested that he was coming around on this front as the season progressed. All I can say on that score is that I've met many, many people who were jerks at age 19 but who turned out fine later. Hopefully the adversity he experienced this year will help him to mature.

I suggest you and everyone here read the last post in Billy Rowell's prospect tracker by Avencill.

Rowell DOES NOT have an attitude problem. He greatly matured throughout the course of the season. He's great with the fans, always signs autographs, and will stop and chat with you about pretty much everything.

Of course you wouldn't know this becuase you've probably never met him but still have no problem slamming him about his attitude.

EDIT: Here's the link

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1473393&postcount=26

3rd base was relatively new to Henson. I think with him being quicker and more agile, he's got the clear advantage in potential, no?

possibly, but I doubt Henson ever hits enough to play 3rd base anyway.

But still Rowell is a year younger and already a better defender.

I suggest you and everyone here read the last post in Billy Rowell's prospect tracker by Avencill.

Rowell DOES NOT have an attitude problem. He greatly matured throughout the course of the season. He's great with the fans, always signs autographs, and will stop and chat with you about pretty much everything.

Of course you wouldn't know this becuase you've probably never met him but still have no problem slamming him about his attitude.

EDIT: Here's the link

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1473393&postcount=26

To be fair, old#5fan was going by accounts from people who had actual contact with him. It's not like he made this stuff up. However, I agree with frobby's comment that people who have issues at 18 or 19 often turn out to be fine people, and that could very well be the case with Rowell. I just care about his playing ability and progress at this point.

Right now I'm thinking a left-handed version of Richie Sexson, but one that may be able to stay at third base.

Richie Sexson? How can a guy with that kind of power hit so few Xbh's these last couple of years. It really surprises me that you think he has that kind of power...hope you are right, though.

Second best prep hitter. Travis Snider was more highly regarded.
Some publications rated Snider higher, others rated Rowell higher. There is no arguing that Rowell was certainly worthy of his draft slot though. He was very highly regarded coming into the draft.

Here are some writeups from various mock drafts heading into the draft and draft recaps:

9. Baltimore Orioles: Bill Rowell, SS/3B, Bishop Eustace (N.J.) Prep

The Orioles have the money to mix things up, so it would not be a surprise if they drafted Lincecum or Scherzer. However, it's more likely the team will lean toward taking a high schooler, deciding between the best hitter and local product Jeffress. While people disagree on Jeffress' potential, most believe that Rowell is a worthy top 15 pick, and his individual workouts have gone well. The hitter gets the nod.

13. Chicago Cubs: Travis Snider, OF, Jackson (Wash.) High

Chicago has the money to select any players who drop because of monetary reasons, but this pick will most likely be new scouting director Tim Wilken's call. Ignore those Jeff Samardzija rumors, despite Jim Hendry's close friendship with Notre Dame coach Paul Mainieri. Wilken prefers prep hitters, whom he selected often while laying the Blue Jays' foundation. With Rowell off the board, the Cubs will take Snider, the high school hitter with the sweetest swing in the draft.

9. Baltimore Orioles: Bill Rowell, 3B (H.S./Sewell, N.J.)

Rowell was the first high school position player drafted this year. He played shortstop in high school but projects as a third baseman in the pros. The left-handed-hitting Rowell, known to have "middle of the lineup power," set the school's career home run record during his junior season and hit .557 with six home runs as a senior.

According to mlb.com, the Orioles expect that he will sign quickly and play with one of the team's short-season affiliates this year.

14. Toronto Blue Jays: Travis Snider, OF (H.S./Everett, Wash.)

Toronto reverses its recent course of taking college players in the first round by taking the player Baseball America ranked as the "Best Pure Hitter" among high school eligible draftees.

Archived