#5 Prospect - Billy Rowell

Tony-OH

I knew this was not going to be popular, but take a look at where Snyder was when he was 19-year old (getting killed in Aberdeen and Delmarva) and look at him now. Rowell started to show his talent over the last 50 games or so and if you take away a pretty horrific slump he had a pretty good year for a 19-year old in High A-ball.

Let the slamming begin!!! :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's certainly got as much talent as just about anybody in the system, but I think this is a touch high given his performance. Not that he isn't still a good prospect, but I think we've got other guys with better combinations of talent, performance, and age relative to their level.

I'm excited for next year though. He'll probably repeat Frederick, and I think it'll be the year he really breaks out and shows he deserves this high of a ranking.

I know one thing. There is no chance he's the #5 prospect again next year. He either has a very good year and shoots up the rankings or disappoints again and falls way down.

Its not where I would have gone but I don't see how you can slam it.

He still has more upside than any position prospect we have and he is still very young.

He has a lot of holes in his game but we are still talking about a 19 year old.

Really, you can make the argument that Erbe, Reimold, Rowell and Britton can be slotted anywhere from 5-8(and yes, I am saying this thinking these are the next group of guys).

Man Rowell isn't even in my top 10. The guy has some serious growing up to do, and I hope he does, because he's got a boatload of talent.

Hopefully he proves he was worthy of a first round pick...

Ditto!! I didn't have him in my Top 10 either, barely missing it. I had him 11th.

It says a lot for Rowell that the OH staff still thinks this highly of him. But here's the thing... Erbe is only 8.5 months older than Rowell. As a matter of fact, they're both 20 right now. We're basically hoping that Rowell can have the kind of rebound season in '09 that Erbe had in '08.

I sure hope you're right about Rowell because you have him ranked above some pretty good prospects who have done a lot more to prove themselves!

To me, it's extremely encouraging that Tony and the OH staff feel Rowell is worthy of the #5 spot in the rankings. I do agree that I'd rank him ahead of Snyder, but I think I would've put him somewhere around 8-10. I just feel the pitching in our system is so strong with guys like Hernandez, Erbe, Bergeson, etc. that it seems like a stretch to put an unproven Rowell ahead of them all. That said, this speaks wonders about his potential. I really feel 2009 will be sort of a make or break season for Rowell. Either we'll get to see why he was a top 10 pick out of high school or we'll see more of the same - something that would be extremely discouraging, IMO.

Before I felt like they should promote Rowell to Bowie, mainly because I wanna see him get to the pros ASAP. However, the more I think about it, he needs to prove himself somewhere and I think starting next year in Frederick is a good way to do it. He is still only 20 years old. If he can start out well it Frederick and earn a promotion to Bowie, I think a lot more people here will be talking about our 3B of the future. After all, a 21 year old in AA isn't too shabby at all.

I think everyone is really wondering where Snyder's upside is.

Snyder lost significant time to injury. He started slow at Frederick, but finished as one of the very best hitters in the league. It seems quite possible that he outhits Reimold at the same level at a younger age.

That said, I think Rowell is on the verge of a huge season at Frederick next year.

What's his ceiling?
His ceiling is enormous, he's got a ton of talent and massive raw power. He was regarded as the best prep hitter in the 2006 draft.

Reaching it will be tough, but he's got massive potential, which is why he's still rated so highly despite mediocre performance the last two years.

I don't hate this choice, but I would have went with Erbe due to the same reasons you went with Rowell. Age/upside/performance they are both right there together. I'd guess you guys went with Rowell because Erbe repeated Frederick and Rowell did okay for a 19 year old.

I knew this was not going to be popular, but take a look at where Snyder was when he was 19-year old (getting killed in Aberdeen and Delmarva) and look at him now. Rowell started to show his talent over the last 50 games or so and if you take away a pretty horrific slump he had a pretty good year for a 19-year old in High A-ball.

Let the slamming begin!!! :)

Well, I am pretty sure that Baseball America will not agree with you. As to who is right. Only time will tell.

Archived